Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Abroad Expo (Wed 7th March) Silver Springs 12pm-7pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

As far as I know,as of this morning all ticket sales have been suspended..

They can't cope with the amount of people wanting to go.

Bad sign of the times huh...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The Dublin one was suppose to be very badly organised. I understand the long ques and that but someone mentioned twas'nt anymore informative that going to Use it or one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

From what I understand,,they underestimated the numbers that turned up.

They had 50% bigger space than last year,and also more exhibitors.

But,,a lot of peope turned up with no paperwork,referrences,c.v.'s ready...etc...

I think you need to have everything totally spot on before they interview you.

Open to correction on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

10 euro entry:rolleyes: the whole thing smacks of a money making exercise

you can get most of the info you need on the web anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

fryup wrote: »
    10 euro entry:rolleyes: the whole thing smacks of a money making exercise

you can get most of the info you need on the web anyway

This is exactly what i thought.

It lists that accomodation/flight companies are will be there.Unless they offer decent discounts i dont see why id travel down and pay to get in.

The web will do the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

we drove past it earlier, there were a *lot* of cars parked on both sides of the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

WOW, thats frightening, the old adage, "will the last person to leave the country please turn off the lights" springs to mind

^^^^^^^^^^

glad, i didn't go

btw - will those people parked up on the pavements be in danger of getting a ticket or clamped??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

hopefully they all get all got tickets

@€;40 a pop it will contribute something to the coffers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I just heard on twitter that there's 3000 queueing outside, access for people with pre booked tickets only, and it's staying open until 9 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^

glad, i didn't go

btw - will those people parked up on the pavements be in danger of getting a ticket or clamped??

I've never seen someone get a ticket there and I'd doubt they'll start giving them out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Thats depressing

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Thats depressing
    Yes, take a bow FF, the greens, and although I expected sweet nothing from the blue shirts, please let the labour party hang their greedy heads in shame

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Thats depressing
    Yes, take a bow FF, the greens, and although I expected sweet nothing from the blue shirts, please let the labour party hang their greedy heads in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

deRanged wrote: »
    we drove past it earlier, there were a *lot* of cars parked on both sides of the dual carriageway.

only in Ireland would you see large 4*4s, Lexus, BMWs parked up at a jobs expo, the gap between those who really need a job and those just looking to work abroad widens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

only in Ireland would you see large 4*4s, Lexus, BMWs parked up at a jobs expo, the gap between those who really need a job and those just looking to work abroad widens.

Narrows I was going to say, the gap between those narrows as the depression widens to include otherwise considered well offs.

those who want to forgo their mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

I know a few people who I've met through college and work who were up at the event, and I have to agree with what what run_Forest_run said, they were up there looking to see what options are available to them.

For many people in Cork who are young, no mortgage, no large commitments, economic emigration is a very good option. The opportunities which were there in the past are no longer available for each persons careers progression, personal betterment and general improvement in circumstances (which is what all of us want), and as a result people have to cast the net wider when looking for these.

I'm not saying everyone who was up at the event was in that situation, and I know unemployed people who were up at this event aswell, so when we look at the size of the que not everyone was in the same position.

Another thing which I heard yesterday was how the employers up there are looking to take qualified people, i.e. no general recruitment, each had specific targets as to what they were looking for, and as a result alot of people up there wouldn't of been able to apply to what positions were availble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

Judging by the video there should be loads of 2nd hand cheap car sales for those who stay :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

can i just say that not everyone wants to leave just for work. due to the state this country is in, it's getting very expensive and depressing to stay living here. tax hikes, water charges, constant bad news, lack of facilities etc. make it more expensive and people with jobs think "wow i could move abroad, do the same work and have a better quality of life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

EyeSight wrote: »
    think "wow i could move abroad, do the same work and have a better quality of life"

Confirmation season is upon us, it's always a barometer of the state of the nation.

They are depressing events, full of sad non smiling people with empty pockets. Much of the visiting is curtailed or stopped altogether, parties are far less and more families are just going home or back to work immediately after the event.

Advertisement