Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alco Chassie Extension Type///ref towbar ?

• 05-03-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Folks is it just me or does the chassie rail extensions on the rear of a camper to extend it seem very light/weak to join a towbar to it....im just fiting one to my camper and the more i look at it the more doubts im haveing......Or is just you would be very limited to the weight you would be able to tow,,,,im only planing on towing a bike trailer/motorbike....What yous think...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

elaverty wrote: »
    Folks is it just me or does the chassie rail extensions on the rear of a camper to extend it seem very light/weak to join a towbar to it....im just fiting one to my camper and the more i look at it the more doubts im haveing......Or is just you would be very limited to the weight you would be able to tow,,,,im only planing on towing a bike trailer/motorbike....What yous think...thanks

The Alko chassis is a lightweight highly technical chassis. It is not designed to support any tow bars except those specifically designed for it and certified by Alko.

Se the attached extract from the Alko handbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The Alko chassis is a lightweight highly technical chassis. It is not designed to support any tow bars except those specifically designed for it and certified by Alko.

Se the attached extract from the Alko handbook.

The towbar was on a Alko Chassie before,,,Other towbar makers/fitters supply make and fit towbars for this chassie with no problems...Im sure that is just a sales pitch by Alko to frighten people into makeing sure you buy there product,if we were to only but Original/Main dealer parts and services for everything we wouldnt be able to afford to do a whole lot of anything...
    Im just saying that to me the chassie dosnt look very strong to take a towbar,but it is the same chassie that Alko would be fitting a towbar onto,as they dont make any changes to the chassie when fiting a bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

They are designed for a low nose weight , but still able to "pull" a train weight .

Advertisement