Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs & Cabelas

Options
  • 05-03-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

i placed an order last week and it as shipped with ups.Customs nabbed it this morning and are looking for an import licence (not a copy of my gun licence) to allow it through.
    I have received a phone call this morning from ups saying customs are awaiting the import licence.Any ideas how i should proceed or if there is any1 i can ring to explain my case.I dont think there is anything on the order which should require an import licence.

Products Ordered
    1 of 22-7270 HYSKORE PARALLAX SIGHTING & CLEANING VISE @ $56.99 eac
    1 of 22-2426 Gun Bore Cleaner .17CAL RIFLE @ $17.99 each
    1 of 22-8689 MONTANA 1 1/4" SLINGS FAST-ADJUST LEATHER SLING BROWN @ $42.99 each
    1 of 22-5655 Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C 8" Round Target @ $22.99 each
    1 of 22-1144 Michaels Quick Detach Super Swivels SUPER SWIVEL 1 1/4" @ $9.99 each

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Call them up, I used to get the same issue ordering airsoft stuff sometimes. Explain the situation and they should release it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What justification have they to stop these articles if they are not firearms , components of firearms or ammunition ? Also be ready to get walloped by a bill, its the vat + 6% , ask me how i know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

gearoidol wrote: »
    Products Ordered
    1 of 22-7270 HYSKORE PARALLAX SIGHTING & CLEANING VISE @ $56.99 eac
    1 of 22-2426 Gun Bore Cleaner .17CAL RIFLE @ $17.99 each
    1 of 22-8689 MONTANA 1 1/4" SLINGS FAST-ADJUST LEATHER SLING BROWN @ $42.99 each
    1 of 22-5655 Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C 8" Round Target @ $22.99 each
    1 of 22-1144 Michaels Quick Detach Super Swivels SUPER SWIVEL 1 1/4" @ $9.99 each

Is that all the items?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Vegeta wrote: »
    Is that all the items?
    absolutely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am surprised at the Shoot-N-C targets and bore cleaner being allowed to be shipped. Sinclair's, and Brownell's do not ship this stuff outside the USA due to restrictions. The cleaners are solvents so not allowed, and the shoot-n-c targets in the states are classed as exploding/re-active targets. Thats the e-mail i got from them some time ago when i asked about ordering them before i placed an order.

In the end i didn't order them. So the import paperworj could be in relation to these items or they have simply made an error and assumed its firearm componants. Either way i would contact them and ask what paperwork they need for which items. If you tell thm you have no paperwork they will not let the items out even with retrospective import documents. Their usual policy is to return the items.

Call them and get as much details as possible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Ezridax wrote: »
    The cleaners are solvents so not allowed, and the shoot-n-c targets in the states are classed as exploding/re-active targets. Thats the e-mail i got from them some time ago when i asked about ordering them before i placed an order.

Red tape gone mad :mad:

The thing is there are some countries they will export to but we're not one of them :(

I am surprised at the Shoot-N-C targets and bore cleaner being allowed to be shipped. Sinclair's, and Brownell's do not ship this stuff outside the USA due to restrictions. The cleaners are solvents so not allowed, and the shoot-n-c targets in the states are classed as exploding/re-active targets. Thats the e-mail i got from them some time ago when i asked about ordering them before i placed an order.

In the end i didn't order them. So the import paperworj could be in relation to these items or they have simply made an error and assumed its firearm componants. Either way i would contact them and ask what paperwork they need for which items. If you tell thm you have no paperwork they will not let the items out even with retrospective import documents. Their usual policy is to return the items.

the gun bore cleaner is actually a bore snake so thats why that got through,weird about the targets alright

the gun bore cleaner is actually a bore snake so thats why that got through,
    Ah. Thought it was a solvent of some type.
    weird about the targets alright
    Yeah. I ended up using a lad in the UK, he is on ebay too, and he was cheaper than the USA. Thing is ordinarily he is the same price as everywhere els, then occassionally he does a clear out. I got 50 x 5" targets, 180 x 3" targets, and 40 x 7" targets all for £59 delivered. I'm still using them.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Maybe your thinking of another product but if there the Birchwood casey Shoot N Cs then there paper. I get them from brownells from time to time

GH

I'm not trying to get into a debate with you as to who is right or wrong. If you read my post you'll see that when i ordered the (Casey Birchwood) shoot-n-c targets a nice woman from Sinclairs/Brownells e-mailed me saying they cannot ship them to Ireland. I had bought plenty from them previously so it wasn't a first order "glitch".

So i'm not saying its law, i'm not saying its right. I'm passing on what Sinclair's told me. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Odd that list is being held up, there's nothing dangerous, immoral or fattening on it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have just read this thread with some alarm and so I emailed Birchwood-Casey for an explanation/clarification of their use of the term 'exploding' with regard to their Shoot-n-See targets.

I asked them if the targets actually contain any explosive substance, or if they are simply using the term in the way that the target 'explodes into vivid colour' as a metaphor.

As far as I am aware, the highly-frangible black ink layer is not actually chemically bonded to the fluorescent underlying ink, and, when impacted with the almighty whack of a bullet, simply disintegrates around the point of impact, revealing the bright undersurface fluorecence colour.

No actual 'explosive' substance' is involved, simply kinetic energy.

However, we shall see.

It is interesting that this point has been raised, since for the last ten or so years I've been buying these targets in bulk in the US and have either my backpack or my baggage literally stuffed with $300-400 worth on my twice-yearly jaunt back to UK from Canada or the US. As you ALL know, we ALL get 'sniffed for explosives' by the TSA or the Canadian equivalent.

I have NEVER been stopped.

I'll let you know what happens, if you are at all interested.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I have just read this thread with some alarm and so I emailed Birchwood-Casey for an explanation/clarification of their use of the term 'exploding' with regard to their Shoot-n-See targets.
    Who said Birchwood-Casey said anything of the sort?
    I asked them if the targets actually contain any explosive substance, or if they are simply using the term in the way that the target 'explodes into vivid colour' as a metaphor.
    Again who said they said they said this?
    As far as I am aware, the highly-frangible black ink layer is not actually chemically bonded to the fluorescent underlying ink, and, when impacted with the almighty whack of a bullet, simply disintegrates around the point of impact, revealing the bright undersurface fluorecence colour.
    Correct. That is how they work.
    No actual 'explosive' substance' is involved, simply kinetic energy.
    Correct again.
    However, we shall see.

It is interesting that this point has been raised, since for the last ten or so years I've been buying these targets in bulk in the US and have either my backpack or my baggage literally stuffed with $300-400 worth on my twice-yearly jaunt back to UK from Canada or the US. As you ALL know, we ALL get 'sniffed for explosives' by the TSA or the Canadian equivalent.

I have NEVER been stopped.

I'll let you know what happens, if you are at all interested.

tac
    You are concentrating on the term exploding, granted with some reason, but making this out to be a larger issue than it is. I simply stated above that when i contacted people i was told what i said above. If they told me in error, if i picked them up wrong, if the entire story relayed to me was wrong then so be it. It is but one company among dozens.

I have previously oredered such targets without issue, but the last time there was an issue, however real, and so i sought an alternate supplier which i found.

I also only guessed at the reason as to why the OP's package was stopped. Yet i have not heard another reason, either based on fact or assumption as to the possible cause of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

From the Birchwood-Casey website -

'BIRCHWOOD CASEY manufactures a wide range of targets, including our patented self-adhesive Shoot•N•C® targets that explode in a bright, fluorescent green ring of color around each bullet hole.'

I was following up the comment that a couple of companies stateside refused to ship these targets as they are 'explosive' and wanted to see if the makers actually meant that they utilised some form of explosive compound in their manufacture that made them so and therefore restricted their shipment outside the US of A.

Buying them at home in Canada has never been a problem either - anything even marginally 'explosive' there is viewed with an extremely jaundiced government eyeball.

tac

This is my point. Birchwood casey never said anything nor released any statement. It was from Sinclairs from the last order i placed with them nearly 12 months ago.

As i have said i am only offering possibilities based on an e-mail i received as nothing in the OP seems to me to need any sort of paperwork/documentation. The tax/VAT issue is another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

i placed an order last week and it as shipped with ups.Customs nabbed it this morning and are looking for an import licence

Contact UPS and ask them who in customs has detained it and contact them directly. Apart from the shipping end UPS also act as your agent. When they submit an electronic customs declaration they may feel that the goods could require an import licence and ask you for same before customs even get to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

When ordering stuff from the US if you have the option use USPS which is the postal service. Its a lot less hassle and usually cheaper too.

finally after a few emails and phonecalls the package is being delivered to day.thanks for the discussion

They didn't happen to say what the problem was. Was it a mistake, or did you need to clarify something?

If its a "confidential" issue no problem, but if its something you can discuss it might help others avoid the same situation.

Well done though. glad to hear you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I had a similar situation with a chainsaw, some tool in a shipping company told me custom had it held back because of the fact it was a "dangerous item". Rang customs and had it sorted in no time at all, the only thing they wanted was a confirmation of shipping address and identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Hey guys, I travel back to Ireland twice a year.
    I've brought non-controlled parts back with me for fellow boards shooters before.

I'll put a post up a month or so prior to my next visit and we'll come up with a list of what folks need, and I'll pick them up.

I have a Cabelas right next door.
    Also Sarcoinc.com and IMA for milsurp stuff are very close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Harmoniums is a really nice guy. I owe him a pint or two!

They didn't happen to say what the problem was. Was it a mistake, or did you need to clarify something?

If its a "confidential" issue no problem, but if its something you can discuss it might help others avoid the same situation.

Well done though. glad to hear you got sorted.

nope they never said what delayed it ,id have liked to know myself.

Pity. Still at least you got your gear.

Advertisement