Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Helmets: Do They Actually Pass EU Certification

• 05-03-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

I've robbed this from rideIt but I think it's important to get this imformation out there to bikers.

Basically a group of Italian bikers bought a few helmets and tested them to see if they comply with the ECE 22-05 Helmet testing. The results are pretty shocking.
    The source is in Italian so I'll try my best to give the information in English to rideit.

They've picked up 10 random helmets raging in price from 100 to above 400 euros and performed ECE 22-05 (the current certification in EU, very similar to DOT for US friends) as well as some additional tests they believe are required for the real safety.

Seven have failed additional tests and six have failed the official certification tests. They've sent a letter to the Italian Ministry of Transportation asking them to force a recall of failed models and to harden the certification controls.

Casting (prices picked by me from ebay.it):
    • AGV Grid ~ 350 Euros
    • AIROH Dragon DR11 ~ 200 Euros
    • ARAI Axces ~ 310 Euros
    • GREX R2 ~ 100 Euro
    • X-LITE X-602 ~ 250 Euro
    • NOLAN N85 special ~ 150 Euro
    • PREMIER Style ~ 100 Euro
    • SHARK Vision R ~ 270 Euros
    • SUOMY Apex ~ 200 Euros
    • SHOEI Xr 1100 ~ 400 Euro
    The test results are like this:
    Helmets that failed impact tests (that is, your head on asphalt at 200g):
    • ARAI Axces
    • PREMIER Style
    • SUOMY Apex
    Helmet failed the visor test (mostly light related)
    • AGV Grid
    • AIROH DR11
    • ARAI Axces
    • SHARK Vision R
    The following show much higher acceleration in points not required by the standard but yet mentioned as protected in the ECE R22-05:
    • AIROH Dragon
    • AGV Grid
    • ARAI Axces
    • PREMIER Style
    • SHARK Vision R
    • SUOMY Apex
    • X-LITE X-602:
    The only helmet they declare good safety is:
    • SHOEI XR 1100
    The two in acceptable range are:
    • GREX R2
    • NOLAN N85 special
    Source in original language is here with the links to animated video of tests and the letter to the Ministry. There are more technical details in the letter than on the website since the article first appears in the paper version for subscribers.
    So make you conclusions about price/safety relations :)
    Here's the reddit link and here's the original Italian article link.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I would love to see a documentary or even a youtube video of people testing a few helmets to see how they really stand up to the EC standard.

Good info though! That's Grex R2 is looking like a nice buy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Sweet, I have an XR1100.

TheZohanS wrote: »
    Sweet, I have an XR1100.

me too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

TheZohanS wrote: »
    Sweet, I have an XR1100.
    baz8080 wrote: »
    me too :D

Me three :D
    I would love to see a documentary or even a youtube video of people testing a few helmets to see how they really stand up to the EC standard.

A youtube video of the helmets under testing would be really good. I wonder if the EU or even Italy will start enforcing the standards more.

Advertisement