Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

They have little quilted jackets for babies in Next. I was only looking at them today, they're just in white (well I didn't look for any other colours).
    Actually didn't look at the price either, but I was thinking of picking one of those up, instead of the suit.
    Due in mid July, but figured I cld still need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

If you're getting a padded jacket make sure the straps on the carseat straps are easily adjusted. It can be surprising how much extra space the jackets take up. We got one for our average size 1 year old and even though the carseat should do her until she's 4 she won't fit in it in the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I probably sound like an absolute gobsh!te asking this question (nothing new there haha) but is it ok to bring a hairdryer? It's just lying in bed with wet hair really bothers me! :p Or would that be too noisy as I'll be on a public ward, I'm afraid it would bother the other women!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

If you're getting a padded jacket make sure the straps on the carseat straps are easily adjusted. It can be surprising how much extra space the jackets take up. We got one for our average size 1 year old and even though the carseat should do her until she's 4 she won't fit in it in the jacket.

It's the small things that catch you out, I actually never thought of that but you're so right. The jacket didn't seem that bulky tho, well not as bulky as the little bear like snow suits they had in. But our car seat does have adjustable straps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

0ctober wrote: »
    I probably sound like an absolute gobsh!te asking this question (nothing new there haha) but is it ok to bring a hairdryer? It's just lying in bed with wet hair really bothers me! :p Or would that be too noisy as I'll be on a public ward, I'm afraid it would bother the other women!

It was never a problem for me as no one ever did it... I know white noise is supposed to be soothing for babies but I think I'd have silently fumed if anyone started using a hair dryer on the ward in the hospital... whatever if you have a private room but not possibly when there's 6/7 other women and babies in the room with you...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

January wrote: »
    It was never a problem for me as no one ever did it... I know white noise is supposed to be soothing for babies but I think I'd have silently fumed if anyone started using a hair dryer on the ward in the hospital... whatever if you have a private room but not possibly when there's 6/7 other women and babies in the room with you...

I think I'd be the same - But you might be able to dry your hair in the bathroom if they have the shaver plugs and you have an adaptor? Or ask the midwife at your next appointment. Chances are its a FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

A shower cap might have to be an alternative October, unless there was somewhere off the ward you could go that it wouldn't disturb the other mums/babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I have short-ish hair, I didn't dry it once in the hospital, I didn't have time between the baby crying and needing feeds, I just had time for my shower! And it was so hot in the room that it dried by itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Thanks for the replies, it seems more hassle then it's worth so I think I'll leave it, don't want to be disrupting the other mums!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

0ctober wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, it seems more hassle then it's worth so I think I'll leave it, don't want to be disrupting the other mums!

Get some of those head wraps...they will help dry your hair quickly & you won't feel like you are sitting around with wet hair.
    If my little one had just nodded off (or me for that matter) & a hair dryer woke them up I wouldn't be happy esp as new mums often get very little sleep, even more so on a shared ward :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

i just read the all the notes here.. i never thought of doing a bag for himself, thats something i'll have to add to the list.. i better get my bag ready.. never thought of using a hairdryer..i soo didn't think it would disturb people.. hopefully theres a plug in the shower room or something.. i just need it for my fringe bummer i'll have to have mad hair soo.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I have the worlds worst frizziest uncontrollable hair. If I didn't have access to a ghd/hairdryer & my fringe got wet, I'd pin it back overnight with a hair clip & by morning it should be dry & someway straight.

Worst case scenario you could bring your straightener and straighten your fringe out from wet.
    Probably not great for your hair but as a once off it'd be ok.

Whatever ya do folks, don't forget your phone charger. I did when I was in earlier this week.
    So irritating as my battery was down to the last with of charge left so I had no choice but to leave it switched off until I was ready to ring my husband to come collect me.

It was really frustrating not being able to let him know what was happening (didn't have baby/false alarm but was kept in overnight :o).
    I'm not one for spending all day on my phone, but was lost without it as I'd no idea of what time it was (don't wear a watch/no clock in ward)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The lady who taught the antenatal class I went to recommended a pair of clean socks and a t-shirt as a bare minimum for dads. She knows men who stepped in a pool of their wife's waters in their socks and numerous men who have been peed on by their newborn. In all case they hadn't brought spare clothes. Not a comfortable drive home. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Whatever ya do folks, don't forget your phone charger. I did when I was in earlier this week.
    So irritating as my battery was down to the last with of charge left so I had no choice but to leave it switched off until I was ready to ring my husband to come collect me.

It was really frustrating not being able to let him know what was happening (didn't have baby/false alarm but was kept in overnight :o).
    I'm not one for spending all day on my phone, but was lost without it as I'd no idea of what time it was (don't wear a watch/no clock in ward)

Some hospitals now have charging stations in the waiting/public areas. It costs about €2 and you plug the phone into a little locker for about 30 minutes. You get a key so the phone is safe to leave. It might be worth asking a nice orderly about them if you do find yourself stuck in hospital without a charger.

Advertisement