Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal ultrasound scan?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Am 11 weeks pregnant and have my first appointment in hospital on Wednesday. My doctor says this will include my first scan. Anyway I am wondering how likely is it that I will have to have an internal scan as I am carrying a lot of excess weight/skin around my tummy since losing 10 stone last year. I have a big overhang and am still overweight so am worried the ultrasound won't pick up anything through the skin/fat!
    Anyone out there have any similar experiences or know anypne who has. Would really put my mind at ease as I'm dreading going and being embarrassed.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Hey Mum2be25,
    Unfortunately I can't comment on the weight loss aspect of things (congrats on that by the way), but I did have an transvaginal ultrasound scan, I presume this is what you were asking about?

I went in for a scan at 7 weeks and they couldn't see anything as my bladder wasn't full enough so they used the transvaginal probe instead. It was mildly uncomfortable but by no means sore, I know when I was there all my attention was on the screen trying to catch a glimpse of babs so that's a welcome distraction. My partner and my mother were with me for the scan and I asked if they could leave while the probe was being inserted, and it wasn't a problem. They came in for the scanning part (I was well covered with a massive paper blanket at this point) and I got them to leave again when the probe was being removed. There was no discomfort afterwards or anything and we got great pictures :)

My advice would be to try not to fret about it, I'm sure it's a lot more common than you think and I'd say they'll only do it if the traditional abdominal scan doesnt work. Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Hi Mum2be25,

I also had them in early stages of my preganacy, in all honestly they are less invasive than a gyne exam, I don't think they technician even touched me, the probe is long and not uncomfortable.

Honestly nothing to worry about, the pictures that they produce are great so like Shuwaaah said, the perfect distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Mum2be25 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Am 11 weeks pregnant and have my first appointment in hospital on Wednesday. My doctor says this will include my first scan. Anyway I am wondering how likely is it that I will have to have an internal scan as I am carrying a lot of excess weight/skin around my tummy since losing 10 stone last year. I have a big overhang and am still overweight so am worried the ultrasound won't pick up anything through the skin/fat!
    Anyone out there have any similar experiences or know anypne who has. Would really put my mind at ease as I'm dreading going and being embarrassed.

Thanks in advance guys.

Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss :) As others have said I can't supply info on whether the skin/weight will be an issue for the ultrasound but I can assure you that an internal scan is really straight forward & the pic you get is of significantly higher quality (in my experience). Having had fertility treatment I've had 7/8 of them...checking womb, follicle size & a 7 week scan! I didn't find them in anyway painful, there is no requirement to be touched during the process and my dignity was as intact as it could be :)
    Being totally honest I found my 12 week scan far more uncomfortable as I had to have a full bladder which caused me great discomfort, an empty bladder is required for an internal scan :)
    I wouldn't let the situation embarrass you...you have achieved great things so far & so what if you need an internal scan...like I said you will get much clearer pics ;) I would have preferred another one over having a baby & an ultrasound probe pressing on my full bladder!
    You could ring & ask to speak with a midwife about it if you are really concerned or your doctor may be able to give you some advise also. Good luck with everything :)

Advertisement