Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tower Co.Cork

• 05-03-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just moved to tower. Currently can only get 2mb down and around 512kb up at best. Even though the exchange in Blarney is NGN my distance from the exchange is causing very slow speeds. I know that any other DSL provider wont be able to give me more than this speed and im currently with Vodafone. Is there any other providers in the area that would do faster speeds? The only ones i could see doing faster is mobile broadband, WiMax (doubt its provided in this area) or Wireless (pointing at Access tower).

If anyone here lives in tower and knows of another service i would be grateful if you would share it with me, i miss my old 30mb connection with UPC ;-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Have you a line-of-sight to the masts at Bweeng? If so, you might be able
    to get Ripplecom wireless broadband.

Unless you have a good view in that direction, you might find 2Mb/s
    ADSL is better than 8Mb/s wireless. IIRC, Tower is very hilly country.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

hbr wrote: »
    Have you a line-of-sight to the masts at Bweeng? If so, you might be able
    to get Ripplecom wireless broadband.

Unless you have a good view in that direction, you might find 2Mb/s
    ADSL is better than 8Mb/s wireless. IIRC, Tower is very hilly country.

I travel from bweeng through tower everyday, not a hope in hell of catching a site of that mast.

Try give ripplecom a ring though, you would never know a mast closer to tower might be in view.

I will do, is there any other wireless providers for tower? if only we had a government website that would tell us a listing....oh wait we did then the minister that was running it stopped giving a crap, this country is useless for broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eoghan1977

Just wondering if you have any update on getting wireless broadband in Tower. Just after building there myself and likewise we dont want to go with eircom so wondering if you have found anyone else ??

Tried Airwave and Nova Networks but they dont have any coverage there.

• Advertisement

Nope, Just used Vodafone. Airwave charged me €120 for a guy to come out to my house look at the line of site and go No you cant get it. He didn't even put up a ladder. Was unpressed with those guys anyway.

I started using an o2 mobile broadband Hotshot. It has a cap on it of 15GB but i think it only cost €15 which isnt bad, you just cant download with it really.

Currently under my setup. I use scheduled downloads (at night and when im at work) on the home DSL line and use the Hotshot for gaming, internet, and netflix. Its been working fairly well for me with really good speeds.

Sorry it was ripplecom not airwave that i tried.

Advertisement