Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New server (raid opinions please).

Options
  • 05-03-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I have a new server to be setup soon.

It's a 2 socket (2 x 6 core xeon, 12 real cores, 12 hyperthreading), 32 gigs of ram. 6 x sas 300 gig disks.

Looking for opinions on best way to setup. We will have 3 vm's running on it.

1 x sbs for exchange. (important)

1 x server 2008 for sql server (important)

1 x terminal server, for clients dialing in. (not as important as other 2)

How should I best use the hardware disks wise.

(option 1)
    I was thinking maybe each vm on it's own raid 1 config (2 drives per vm)

(option 2)

Or else a raid 5 config with 4 disks with a hot spare for 2 vm's (sql and sbs)

and a raid 1 for the terminal server (2 disks)

(option 3)

One raid 5 config with 4 disks and hotspares (all 3 vm's)

Which option should I go for? 0 votes

0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'll chose Option 4:check with HWare supplier and with VMware and VMware Community network on best "how-to" !!

You may find that RAID 6 and / or RAID 60 be better !
    Depends on what you need:speed,space or redundancy...

...or...

buy two servers less 'so' impressive hardware show and use a SAN (cheap these days)...gives better performance,speed and mobility/reliability !

Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

hi Where do you propose to install VM ESx ??

tech wrote: »
    hi Where do you propose to install VM ESx ??

usb stick !??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Citrix is the virtualisation software that will be in use. I suppose it will be installed onto a hard drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

rolion wrote: »
    I'll chose Option 4:check with HWare supplier and with VMware and VMware Community network on best "how-to" !!

You may find that RAID 6 and / or RAID 60 be better !
    Depends on what you need:speed,space or redundancy...

...or...

buy two servers less 'so' impressive hardware show and use a SAN (cheap these days)...gives better performance,speed and mobility/reliability !

Good luck...

I second the idea of two servers - especially if they're running something like ESXi. It gives you a lot of additional options.

If the Exchange and SQL server are already running on physical hosts it would be worth doing some performance profiling so you know what kind of network and IO bandwidth they are likely to need.

Might be worth avoiding RAID 5 if performance is an issue. RAID 1+0 would be my preferred option. (Google BAARF for more on this ...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yep I'd go with 2 Physical servers too, as you've no redundancy with what you suggest. Also Citrix Xen wouldn't be my choice, it's not even close to VMware ESXi

21/25

The newer server is replacing two older servers. I want it all in one box for neatness and efficiency. The software crowd we use seem fond of citrix and they have deployed it at about 40 sites without problems. I'm going to keep the newer of the two older servers about as a backup for an emergency. Truth is that the older hardware was fast enough, but one server is near 10 years old, and the other is about 3 years old. A few drives have failed and psu's over the years. I've put off a new server for long enough. I already have it on site, so two lesser spec'd servers at this stage is not an option.

So server is set in stone. Citrix is set in stone. Just the raid config is all I'm bothered about!

Praetorian wrote: »
    So server is set in stone. Citrix is set in stone. Just the raid config is all I'm bothered about!

I don't thing Exchange and SQL gives a good result in virtualised world !
    How many users are going to be on your LAN !? What type of database access required on SQL ?

I'll reuse the 3 years old,as that can be post warranty extended with another 3 years at least,possible 5...cash flow better hopefully over 3-5 years time !
    From difference,I'll get a SAN and use "new" server in two servers config !

...or...keep one new server,replace older one with a new one and keep the two in physical setup ! Hware spec,depending on how many users i'm serving !
    Even better cash flow... Happy CFO ! :)

Re Citrix & RAID ...what "the software crowd you use " advise you !?? If they deployed in so many sites,they know what they talking about !! Also,why you stucked with Hardware,are you sure ALL Line Of Business applications are going to be supported in Citrix environment !

P:
    never used Citrix,maybe never will... Dunno why !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Citrix Xenserver is fine. Does the job. Personally prefer Vsphere but for a single server there isnt much to choose between them. I assume when you say that Xenserver will be installed on a hard drive it isn't one of the 6 SAS disks you mention in your first post? I would be inclined to have it on a seperate raid 1 set on some smaller disks or if needs be have it boot from usb.
    Anyhow, out of hardware that you have you will get the best performance from the Raid 1 sets once you are ok with losing half of your storage capacity. If that amount of capacity is ok for your current and future needs then go down that road. As mentioned above you are putting all eggs into one basket as such but you do have an advantage that your machines will be hardware agnostic if there is a hardware failure.

Thanks to everyone. Losing half my capacity for the safety of raid 1 is well worth the price. I'm not sure where to install the xenserver software. I think possibly on the raid 1 with the terminal server. As these drives will be the least tortured over the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Seeing as you are prepard to lose half your capacity - you are better off to go with RAID10 instead of RAID1... Its will get you the best performance and redundancy across the 6 disks

Also as other have posted you would be better to have your Cirix OS on its own dedicated 2 x 73GB RAID1 volume

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

RAID 1+0 is your only man.

The only, single time that RAID 5 is ever a good idea is when you have exactly 3 disks. Any more, and you should use 1+0 (with hot spares if the number is uneven).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1871.strip.gif

Advertisement