Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding school horse rental

Options
  • 05-03-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi there,

I started riding as an adult beginner in January this year.

The lessons have been going great and I am happy enough with walk, trot, canter and just getting comfortable with little jumps.

A girl who started after me though has been putting more hours in was saying she went to a riding school and just went around the arena with a horse for an hour.

I would love this just to get comfortable and imagine it would be a good deal cheaper than an instructor, though I would continue on with my instructor as well this would just be an extra.

I feel as though I need to just practice now and become comfortable so this would be great for me.

Can anyone tell me anywhere in Dublin that this would be available? And a price range?

Also what amount of experience or level would I need to be at to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

This is called leasing, you use the horse daily while it is still used in the school's lessons majority of the time. It can vary in ranges from yard to yard but mainly around 130 per week. Honestly I think you'd need more experience to be able to ride on your own if you only started in January, perhaps look into more lessons? Ask your instructor on advice though because it is hard to judge your capability without knowing you. I've been riding for 7 years this year and am only going to start leasing this summer!

If you want to improve your riding a lot my advice is skip the group lessons and get private lessons with a few lung lessons! (Lunge lessons are gods gift!) even though it works out more expensive it pays off in your riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 taceistagam

I'd agree with fuelled by aisling regarding the leasing! Private lessons are a good idea and maybe aim to be doing some rideouts by the Summer. When you're on the rideouts you get to put lots of what you do in the arena into practice plus there's less stopping and starting and they are more forward going plus you get chatting to people and get to see the countryside. You could also consider booking a few days away in an equestrian centre and having a few intensive days of riding. There are great places around that can really help build your confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Well i've been riding for the last 18 years , started when I was 2 :P
    but from teaching a few friends ect I think group classes are a waste of time , the riding school horses will be happy to follow each other all day and your progress will be very slow
    I think your best option will be the leasing and riding by yourself with the occasional private lessons to correct your seat ect

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You need to check out if you will be allowed to use the arena alone,without an instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Thanks for all the replies!

I suppose I'm maybe just frustrated after the last lesson or 2.

At the beginning, each week I saw an improvement and came away from the lessons feeling like I had learnt something new.

Now that has kind of tapered off somewhat, in that we haven't really learnt anything new the last few lessons so I feel as though I've reached a kind of plateau.

As well as this the lesson size has almost doubled, so its a bit frustrating trotting in a line for the majority of the lesson and doing 3 or 4 jumps each at the end.

Having said that it still remains my favorite part of the week, in spite of it being a new hobby which feels a bit embarrassing to admit! Especially as I feel I amn't good enough yet to look forward to it as much as I do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Try going for ride outs or try a new RS. There are private lessons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭stargirl!

leasing can be really good as you get to know the horse really well and get to trust it so you can do more with it, but i think you need a few more lessons to try loads of different horses first, you cant just go with the first one you ride or one you think looks nice as it may not be suitable.
    although i dont know where aisling leases her horses from, i have found that riding schools charge between 55-75 per week rather than 130! this would be full livery you are only looking for an hour or so a day!

also in regards to not feeling like you are progressing so much in the lessons, you feel great after the first few because you get your first trot, first canter, first jump, so its huge progress, and now you feel like youre not making as much progress? do you feel fitter? legs dont hurt as much the next day? and your balance on the horse will be improving loads with every lesson without you noticing it!

i have leased a few horses before from different yards and teach a bit so drop me a pm if you would life any more info.

you could try a few different yards for lessons to find an adult group that doesnt have too many in the ride so you get a bit more attention, or private lessons are good if you can afford them!

but definately keep up the lessons and by the summer when you have your first beach ride or canter through the fields you will realise that all those lessons built confidence and balance and really does pay off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

KDII wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies!

I suppose I'm maybe just frustrated after the last lesson or 2.

At the beginning, each week I saw an improvement and came away from the lessons feeling like I had learnt something new.

Now that has kind of tapered off somewhat, in that we haven't really learnt anything new the last few lessons so I feel as though I've reached a kind of plateau.

As well as this the lesson size has almost doubled, so its a bit frustrating trotting in a line for the majority of the lesson and doing 3 or 4 jumps each at the end.

Having said that it still remains my favorite part of the week, in spite of it being a new hobby which feels a bit embarrassing to admit! Especially as I feel I amn't good enough yet to look forward to it as much as I do!

I still get those plateau, currently in a 3 months one :mad: If your lesson size is over 7 then change I say! If you're not getting what you want out of the lesson then why bother wasting the 25 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My partner went to Annaharvery Farm before we bought our Horse and it brought her on so quickly going out on one of their hacks, Horses were so well behaved and she came back from the weekend and her confidence was sky high :)

Advertisement