Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Fat

Options
  • 05-03-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Just got assessed in the gym that i joined, want to know how long would it take to get from 16% body fat down to 10% or less.

Stats that might make a difference;

Height: 5ft 8
    Weight: 12st 2ilbs
    Body fat 16%

I currently play football twice a week and now will be joining the gym for 5 t 6 days use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

getsome wrote: »
    Just got assessed in the gym that i joined, want to know how long would it take to get from 16% body fat down to 10% or less.

Stats that might make a difference;

Height: 5ft 8
    Weight: 12st 2ilbs
    Body fat 16%

I currently play football twice a week and now will be joining the gym for 5 t 6 days use.
    Losing 6% body fat is no easy task. It is difficult to give an exact length of time as a number of factors have to be taken into account. Number 1 being your diet, number 2 being the rate of your metabolism and 3 being your level of intensity and commitment in the gym and in the sports you play. A great site that is worth having a look at is bodybuilding.com It has some great tips in regards nutrition and training. However to answer your question I would say that the average is capable of losing 6% bf in in or around 9 months. Mayby 4-6 of you eat clean, train hard and consistent and if you have fast metabolism:) if you need any further help gimme a shout!:) good luck with your journey and don't give up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Number 1 being your diet, number 2 being the rate of your metabolism and 3 being your level of intensity and commitment in the gym and in the sports you play.
    I'd say its almost totally down to diet. and a consistant deficit.
    Metabolism and intensity/commitment to sport can be a small bonus on top. But deit needs to be nailed down
    However to answer your question I would say that the average is capable of losing 6% bf in in or around 9 months. Mayby 4-6 of you eat clean, train hard and consistent and if you have fast metabolism:)

How did you get 9 months for 6%? Just curious.
    I mean, there's a lot more to consider than just the % you wish to lose. Being lighter he has less fat to shift for the same %.

16% at 170lbs.
    So he needs to shift about 12lbs of fat while maintaining current muscle. That's do-able in a lot less than 9 months without having a geneticaly high metabolism or anything. As long if he puts the effort in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Danny.B

work out your tdee, im guessing its roughly 2600 cals

you need a 500 cal deficit, you need plan out your diet, 6 + meals a day

40/40/20 protein/carb/cal split

stick to this diet religiously

no alcohol, no fizzy drinks etc they full of simple carbs and cals

fasted low/medium intensity cardio 5 days a week 45mins

basically this means 45min jog on empty stomach first thing in the morning

if you do all of the above and are very strict and dedicated

then 3 months you can hit 10% no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

Thanks danny B,

Do you know where i can find out anymore about my diet, i have just about 5 months to get to my goal, personal trainer already told me about the cardio on a empty stomach, but could give me alot of information on my diet!.

Alot of the boards im active on also have em '' ped's '' as a main aspect of their bodybuilding and dont know if you be interested participating in something like that but the info there is far superior to anything you will find elsewhere, if you do want it pm me for links

if not then google bodybuilding forum, the main one that comes up is a massive international forum so join up there and head to the diet section, start a thread to introduce yourself and post your stats, current diet and goals and im sure there somebody there who knows what they talking about to critique and improve it for you

as i said the forums with ''ped's'' have far superior info, most others are just full of clueless kids, so its up to you

but i can tell you now without going into a massive book of a post that carb sources should only be oats, brown rice, mabey wholewheat pasta and and very little else

spinach and broccoli are going to be your friends, they are very low in carb and you will need to eat them with most meals if you want to try feel full without going over macro limit for that particular meal

protein sources are white meat/fish lean read meat, eggs and shakes are consumed pwo and before bed only (casein before bed)

no fizzy drinks, minimal alcohol once a week if at all and in moderation, no processed food, no chippers etc, no tesco breaded chicken breasts or donegal catch etc they full of fat, minimal milk

it sounds extreme but its quickest way to get to your goals and it does work, no 2 ways about it, its style of diet folowed by bodybuilders and pro athlethes all over the world, results speak for themselves

• Advertisement

and also you say your trainer already said about fasted cardio, did he mention HIIT performed pwo?

he didnt mention diet? im not surprised, to be honest most trainers are clueless and in terrible shape themselves, they do a short course somewhere like NTC with no prior experience in the field and then they get job in gym, now before anybody kicks off, i said most trainers not all, there is alot of great trainers out there but i think anybody who has been around a few times will agree that alot are clueless and massively underqualified with no personal experience, they just parrot info from books and mens health magazine

diet is key, you can do all the cardio you want but weight loss is basically cals in versus cals out, if cals in is greater than cals out due to poor det then you completely wasting your time, most courses barely cover proper sports nutrition, nutrient timing, effects of insulin, glycogen etc etc and these are aspects that are key in structuring a diet

hope some of this helps

Oh yeah, Lyle McDonald is regarded as one of the top in the world in this subject and he has some excellent books, google his name for website and then search for his books on torrent sites and your laughing

Id post links for all this but dont think Im allowed, am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zen machine

id agree with lyle as a source of info and add john beradi too,he has a series of free videos on his site that you can access about fat loss ,very clear and simple,Lyle is a bit complex for the lay reader without an education in physiology.I dont think you need the extra expense of any supplements unless you have really stuck to a basic whole food plan for several months and dont get results.Nobody could give you a time frame for going under 10% but losing 1lb fat a week should be doable for most people if your disciplined,theres no magical program.

Advertisement