Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC/Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k - Sun April 1st at 11am

Options
  • 05-03-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭

2011 Thread

Map of course

The only 10k on the Cork BHAA calendar is coming up on April 1st next. Same location for the race hq as last year in the UCC Western Gateway Building as it proved very popular.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 2 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    100%
    donglenzinzan1 2 votes
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Never done the race itself but have ran around here many a time, so I will be entering...Should be a great run if the weather was nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Recently located to Cork city due to work commitments and been running the straight road a lot as its the only route I know in the city so far. Looking forward to racing it..I dont count the Cork marathon as Im usually hanging on for dear life at that stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Some leg sapping drags in the first stretch and a soul sapping last couple of miles along the straight road... I loved this race last year and will be doing it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I'm thinking of running this also. Forgive the newbie runner questions to follow! Can you just stroll up on the day, pay some cash, and enter? Or do you need to be a member of something or other?

*edit* Just looked up 2011 thread, no need to respond, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Reminder this is coming up the weekend after next, entries taken 'til just after 10:30 on the day but remember it's a bit of a stroll from the race hq to the start line but maybe perfect to use as a warm up run.

Cost is €5 for BHAA members & €8 otherwise.

Last year's preview on the excellent Running in Cork blog is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

4 stars (good)
    I'm in................hopefully the weather continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭will3001

Assuming western Gateway building is HQ again? Will it be open for parking

will3001 wrote: »
    Assuming western Gateway building is HQ again? Will it be open for parking

Yeah it's the WGB again after the positive feedback from last year, there's parking for over a hundred cars there so once it fills you'll be directed to the one near Victoria Cross which is less than five mins walk away.

Plenty of grub & spot prizes on the day!

4 stars (good)
    Best of luck to all for tomorrow......I'm currently in a battle with a bottle of red...........it's winning! Hardly the best prep but should be fine once bottle number 2 remains unopened!!!

Over 500 runners in pretty much perfect conditions this morning so big jump in numbers on last year. Results are available on the Cork BHAA site here.

I was stewarding towards the finish & put my camera on a wall to record a video but the damned thing turned itself off after ~8 mins. File's too big to upload to youtube from home so I'll do it from work tomorrow.

Lots more pics & videos on the Running in Cork site.

• Advertisement

Details for this years running of the event, sadly won't be there myself due to clash with the Connemarathon.

UCC Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k Road Race

Held every April to honour the memory of a talented athlete and much loved colleague, the annual UCC Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k road race approaches once more. With over 500 people taking part each year on the ever popular Lee Road / Straight Road circuit, the race is open to all and regularly attracts teams from organisations both large and small in the Cork area, such as EMC, Pfizer and Janssen.

Generously sponsored by Dell, Kylemore Catering, Rochestown Park Hotel and Macroom Motors, this year's race will take place on Sunday April 7th at 11am.

Registration, dressing rooms and the prize giving will take place in the Western Gateway Building, UCC. All entries will be taken on race day from 9.30am, with last entries accepted at 10.40am. The entry fee is €5 for those registered with the BHAA (Business Houses Athletic Association) and €8 for non-registered runners.

Starting from Sunday's Well (near the steps of the ‘Shakey Bridge’ (Daly’s Bridge)), the finish line will be on on the Carrigrohane Straight/ Straight Road (outside Kingsley Hotel).

For further queries, place contact Gillian Cotter on g.cotter@ucc dot ie, Ken Devine on (021) 4901650 or k.devine@ucc dot ie or Cathal O'Connell on (021) 4902832 or C.oconnell@ucc dot ie.

50273_333808743403842_1617734562_n.jpg

4 stars (good)
    Looking forward to this one..........put the boot down for the finish waaaaay too early last year. That straight road is very deceptive.

Just a final reminder on this 10k which is on next Sunday April 7th at 11am (although last registrations are at 10:40am). All the action is at UCC's Western Gateway Building on Western Road.

clipboard01ty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Glad I took part in this, great morning for it! Thanks to all who organised it

Glad I took part in this, great morning for it! Thanks to all who organised it

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. A new record number of entrants this year with 534 runners! Big album of photos here just after the 4m mark & lots more on the Running in Cork post on the race.

The UCC/Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k is coming up again on Sunday March 30th at 11am. New start this year on the Mardyke walk opposite the leading edge of the Mardyke Arena coming from town.

The hope is that it will make things run more smoothly on the day as it is closer to the race hq in the Western Gateway Building & should be a lot less disruptive to traffic while runners are waiting around before the race.

Pic of new start is attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Have heard good things about this race from a few guys here in work. will defo be doing it...it'll be my first 10k race so can't wait to see how it goe

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Last few years I've used this as a progression run leading into my spring marathons running the course twice before the race and then the race at marathon pace,same this year and hopefully it'll help me nail my pace for Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Going to do this race as part of my training for the Cork half. Looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

opus wrote: »
    The UCC/Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k is coming up again on Sunday March 30th at 11am. New start this year on the Mardyke walk opposite the leading edge of the Mardyke Arena coming from town.

The hope is that it will make things run more smoothly on the day as it is closer to the race hq in the Western Gateway Building & should be a lot less disruptive to traffic while runners are waiting around before the race.

Pic of new start is attached...

Ah darn, no downhill start this year so! All going well aiming for 39mins. This race has the best spread of them all, some savage food afterwards.

• Advertisement

psychozeb wrote: »
    Last few years I've used this as a progression run leading into my spring marathons running the course twice before the race and then the race at marathon pace,same this year and hopefully it'll help me nail my pace for Boston.

That's an interesting approach for sure! I'll be stewarding myself at the race but will probably do two laps of the circuit that afternoon just to show solidarity with everyone who ran it :)

This is the map showing the new route, only change is at the start.

7ebd.jpg

looking at met.ie looks like we gonna be running into the wind again for the final 2 miles

Norwegians are more optimistic about tomorrow :)

0p090.jpg

Best of luck to anyone running it, I'll be cheering ye on somewhere on the Straight Road on the home straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

opus wrote: »
    Norwegians are more optimistic about tomorrow :)

0p090.jpg

Best of luck to anyone running it, I'll be cheering ye on somewhere on the Straight Road on the home straight!

That forecast is at odds with met Eireann :( ME are forecasting rain from about 10am in Cork. No matter once we are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Despite all of that it was a lovely day for it! No rain in sight, just a pleasant breeze in the final stretch up the straight road. I must say I prefered the scenic first 3 miles to the dead straight finish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

BHAA notwithstanding, any results yet?

Despite the bigging-up beforehand, the spread was mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

Up on the BHAA website now. Hope you didn't go home too hungry.

eliwallach wrote: »
    BHAA notwithstanding, any results yet?

Despite the bigging-up beforehand, the spread was mediocre.

eliwallach wrote: »
    That forecast is at odds with met Eireann :( ME are forecasting rain from about 10am in Cork. No matter once we are running.

1-0 to the Norwegians I think!

There's ~15 mins of the home straight by the Kingsley Hotel in the video below before my camera gave up.

• Advertisement

v lucky with the weather indeed as was raining for the eve.

I enjoyed the race, got a 39:59 PB and our team came 2nd so got a nice UCC top. Was aiming for a time closer to 39:00 but right hammy was a bit tight from speedwork during the week which I didnt want to push and also got a stitch from 7.5K to 9K in which I backed off to try and ease it. That pull from 3K to 3.8K really knocked it out of our pack, we were cruising at 3:53 min/km and we all lost about 30seconds on it which we couldn't regain from the steep down hill. Some great views from up there thou. On the back 5K there was a nice cooling breeze thou at times it did hamper pace if not in a pack. Registration was easy, loads of marshals, and loads of grub (couldn't get enough of those chicken goujons!). New route is better as didnt hold up traffic and there was loads of space for warm up off the main road.

Advertisement