Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working during summer on back to education allowance

Options
  • 05-03-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, Has anyone found a way around this? It seems from what ive been told if i get a job for the summer thus coming off social welfare i wont be able to get BTEA next year as i wont have been unemployed for the 9 month period pior to my alliaction.
    I'm in first year of a 3 year degree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

Hi, i sourced an answer myself.

"BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year. Participants are also required to notify the Department of cessation of participation on a course." Link http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

hi skytop,

I just discovered the same information myself too after being told by a person on the Citizen's Information Helpline that I would have to "stay in the system" for the summer and sign on for a jobseekers payment. I can't believe she gave me the wrong information and I was stressing for no reason thinking I would have to leave my part-time job! :mad:
    Think I might ring them Monday morning to make sure she doesn't give the wrong info to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fries

I work for cash-in-hand so it's off the books. I can still get my benefits because it's off the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 csmythser

fries wrote: »
    I work for cash-in-hand so it's off the books. I can still get my benefits because it's off the system.

scumbag... I will be forwarding this post to the relevant authorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fries

csmythser wrote: »
    scumbag... I will be forwarding this post to the relevant authorities

I should have spelt this out: by ''benefits'' I refer to my tax credits from my previous registered job got sent to me. I don't go to college nor am I claiming any social welfare / grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 csmythser

fries wrote: »
    I should have spelt this out: by ''benefits'' I refer to my tax credits from my previous registered job got sent to me. I don't go to college nor am I claiming any social welfare / grants.
    too late to backtrack buster your working cash in hand either way.. i have informed my friends in tax fraud uniit

Advertisement