Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmer fined €25,000 for destroying ring fort.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

veritable wrote: »
    Has the OPW ever asked anybody what they want to be preserved? We work hard and have our earning confiscated every month to pay the beings that work in OPW. Surely we should have a say in whether some useless old mound of earth is to be preserved or not. The system makes no sense.

A popular vote would probably lead to the flattening of all those useless mounds of earth and lots of nice new bungalows and ryegrass prairies.

We are gradually going that way anyhow - try stopping for a slash out of sight of a house on any rural road in the west.

How many thousand km of hedges are we about to lose, now that every idle Hymac in the country is mooching around trying to keep busy?

If your suggestion was followed through we will have a more suburban and less interesting country, but it'll be fierce democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

LostCovey wrote: »
    A popular vote would probably lead to the flattening of all those useless mounds of earth and lots of nice new bungalows and ryegrass prairies.

We are gradually going that way anyhow - try stopping for a slash out of sight of a house on any rural road in the west.

How many thousand km of hedges are we about to lose, now that every idle Hymac in the country is mooching around trying to keep busy?

If your suggestion was followed through we will have a more suburban and less interesting country, but it'll be fierce democratic.

LC there have been thousand upon thousand of KM's of hedges planted in Ireland in the last decade - I suppose mainly thanks to REPS, but a lot was even planted out of REPS - it was a good while ago that we had planted enough for 2 sides of a road from Dublin to Moscow (and back?? I can't remember exactly)

anyway you need planning now to take out a hedge and if you do take it out you have to replant the equivilant length of hedge somewhere else

So i'm confused as to what you are on about with regards to Himacs to be honest?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tipp Man wrote: »
    LC there have been thousand upon thousand of KM's of hedges planted in Ireland in the last decade - I suppose mainly thanks to REPS, but a lot was even planted out of REPS - it was a good while ago that we had planted enough for 2 sides of a road from Dublin to Moscow (and back?? I can't remember exactly)

anyway you need planning now to take out a hedge and if you do take it out you have to replant the equivilant length of hedge somewhere else

So i'm confused as to what you are on about with regards to Himacs to be honest?:confused:
    There are lots of hymacs busy with ditches round here, Tipp Man. But they are cleaning them up, right to the base of the ditch and not levelling them. We have one section of the dept forcing us to, rightly, maximise the forage areas while we have another paying us to minimise use of forage areas.

Fcuked up country alright:(

5live wrote: »
    There are lots of hymacs busy with ditches round here, Tipp Man. But they are cleaning them up, right to the base of the ditch and not levelling them. We have one section of the dept forcing us to, rightly, maximise the forage areas while we have another paying us to minimise use of forage areas.

Fcuked up country alright:(

It sure is and you are dead right.

The himac is actually brilliant to tidy a ditch and then to lay it. We must have laid 15km or more of ditch in the last decade and it is a brilliant job - the ditches are so thick and strong now.

Of course to the casual environmentalist looking at it we had destroyed the ditches at the start as they look terrible when you first lay them and it takes 2 years or more before you see the real benifit

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

What do people think?

The remains of an ancient ring fort and souterrain, or ancient underground passage, at Clashmealcon, Causeway, north Kerry. The fort and passageway date from between AD 500 and 1000

1224312717627_1.jpg?ts=1330979638
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0303/1224312717627.html

He most certainly got what he deserved, there was no call for demolishing such an ancient landmark, acting as if he didn't realise the importance of it, and all for what? Big legal bills, days in court etc. I know it's his own land but if we all did what we liked, the whole country would be covered in forestry, grass and concrete blocks. Anyway not meaning to be ageist or anything but you would imagine a 64 year old would have more sense. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I planted some myself, so I know what you mean, it is a positive development but the sad reality is that it will be 100 years or more before they have the biodiversity and rich variety of species (of tree, plant, insect bird etc etc) that these old hedgerows have.

So I do not agree with your suggestion that these are equivalent.

The suggestion that it is possible to lay a hedge with a Hymac is beyond any rational response, and I don't see any point in addressing it.

LC

LostCovey wrote: »

I planted some myself, so I know what you mean, it is a positive development but the sad reality is that it will be 100 years or more before they have the biodiversity and rich variety of species (of tree, plant, insect bird etc etc) that these old hedgerows have.

So I do not agree with your suggestion that these are equivalent.

The suggestion that it is possible to lay a hedge with a Hymac is beyond any rational response, and I don't see any point in addressing it.

LC
    Unfortunately for you LC you are completely wrong on this 1

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

pakalasa wrote: »
    In the parish where I live there are at least 5 castles, yes 5. Nobody gives a damn about them. They are falling down and in a seriously bad state. Maybe it is time we realised their historical importance. It really bugged me that during the Tiger years when all this cheap money was floating around, nobody could see the value in repairing them.

Am very sorry to hear that. I wonder who built the castles. Do you know what Clans built them and when?

Advertisement