Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this tree dead?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

The leaves on this tree turned brown and fell off during/after the snow of January 2010. Normally i'd have to cut it about 3 times during the summer, but didn't cut it at all last year.

Any thoughts what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It appears to be a pittisporum, lovely shrub, I had a beauty but it got too big for the garden so I had to dig it up. I think you will have to accept that yours is dead, or well on the way. While they can be cut back I don't think it really suits them, between that and the weather I think it was probably stressed to a point where it could not cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - I would think you can count yourself lucky that such a vigorous shrub planted so closely to a boundary fence and neighbouring buildings appears to be doing very poorly.

I don't think it is dying but if I were you, I'd remove/replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

OP - I would think you can count yourself lucky that such a vigorous shrub planted so closely to a boundary fence and neighbouring buildings appears to be doing very poorly.

I don't think it is dying but if I were you, I'd remove/replace it.

It was planted by the previous owners of the house, we’re there 6 years now and its always grown really well each year. I also understand it was there before the neighbours built that extension.

Don’t really have anywhere else to put it, plus it gives us a some privacy from the house behind us so would like to have it/something else there.

I might try cut it back and see will it come back to life. If not, will replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I have a similiar shrub but it's much smaller in height and it's in a similiar condition to yours. I'm contemplating what to do with it this year also!

Advertisement