Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evo Qualifier Tournament - April 14th, v2012 A.E. - Trinity College Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'll be there too. Returning to the motherland on the 9th - just in time :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just give animaX the prize so we can have another few days without him in the country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Update first:

We currently have 33 people registered on the site for the event in April. This is not bad but we would love it if we could double that over the next 2 weeks. Can I ask anyone who is coming along but has not yet had to chance to register to try and register soon. It will help us immensely

ok, the schedule. We have goldsmith hall from 9am until 6pm on the 14th. I have been informed that this is a strict timeline with no wiggle room so it'll be a little earlier than we are used to :(

THIS IS PROVISIONAL

9.00-9.45 registrations for all tournaments. Creation of brackets and layout of tourney structure. I will have a few people taking names at tables. We will leave the registration table open up until 45 minutes before tournament start (except the first two obviously).

10.00 - SFxT singles brackets begins and run on all of the xboxs set up. This tournament is straight single elimination and there will be no seeding. All matches except Grand Finals

10.00 - Mortal Kombat Double Elimination brackets begins and run on the Ps3's set up we will have setup. I am hoping to have around 4. All matches except Grand Finals

12.00 - uMVC Starts. Double Elimination brackets begins. This will run on 10 xboxs with SFxT team winding down to latter stages and run on the remaining oxbows. All matches except Grand Finals

13.30 - Super Street Fighter 4 - Arcade Edition v2012 starts. This will follow a groups and then double elimination format. The groups for this will be seeded based on the inferno seeding where possible and reputation if necessary. I will make sure there are international players are kept in separate groups (if any - ye northerners don't count as internationals ;)). I will initially allocate 10 xboxi to this and will stagger the groups on starting and wind down the other tourneys until SSF4 - AEv2012 is running on all machines. All matches except Grand Finals

16.30 - Grand finals. Something a little different this year. The Grand finals of all the tournaments will take place on the projector screen and on the stream at 16:30ish. I am hoping this adds a little hype for them and will also enable to wind down the setups.

The costs and prizes are:

Event Entry : €10

Tournaments
    Super Street Fighter - Arcade Edition v2012: €15 (Groups & Double Elim)

Marvel v Capcom : €10 (Double Elim)

SfxT : €10 (Single Elim)

Mortal Kombat : €10 (Double Elim)

Prizes
    SSF4 - Flights to Las Vegas and Entry into EVO.

Prizes for the other events are TBC. I think Capcom have sent us some goodies but I will confirm when I have them in hand - more to follow on this as I know it.

The SSF4 prize will be allocated as following:
    The top 8 for the SSF4 tournament will all have until 21st April to email me about whether or not they can make it to EVO in Vegas. (Remember, there are people who work, study, cannot afford etc) This will allow each of the top 8 to see if they can make the necessary arrangements to go. I will then, starting at 1st and working my way down in order, give the prize to the person who placed highest and who has confirmed that they can go. If I have no received an email from someone before midnight on the 21st Arpil, they will forfeit their option. In the unlikely event that all of the top 8 cannot go, it will goto the people from 9th-16th. Each placing will determine the preference as above. Rinse and repeat until we have a traveler.

I want to mention again that we have zero wiggle room for people being late. The days schedule means that we must start each tournament at the allocated times. I cannot delay matches. This will also be true for the whole day. If people are heading off to get lunch or something, then please ensure that you are not missing a game. I will have no choice but to forfeit a player from a match if they are absent when their match is due. I will do my best to make sure we know when your match will be played (hopefully a projector based bracket illustration can be done) but basically, it works well for all if you are not gone for hours on end.

Thanks,
    Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'll be there! :D Last year was great, I'll get back to you and see what equipment I could bring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think you should do Single Elim for some of the tournaments like SFxT teams and SFIV should just be double elim from the start.

Better to have plenty of time left over than run out of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think you should do Single Elim for some of the tournaments like SFxT teams and SFIV should just be double elim from the start.

I do think that SFIV needs to be groups/double elimination. Give people some value for their money by getting a minimum 4-6 games.

As a person who cannot attend Inferno and as someone who is not very good, I'm a little concerned by the following..."The groups for this will be seeded based on the Inferno seeding where possible and reputation if necessary". If this is a separate event, then surely the groups should be random? It's tough to get any ranking in Inferno if you cannot attend them on a regular basis. Also, repuation would be heavily biased towards Inferno attendees. There are plenty of great Cork players for example. If some groups are tougher or easier, then that's the luck of the draw. It makes it more exciting.

Also why would foreign players play in the same group? One of the big reasons for attending is to play new players. I'd love to play a big name from elsewhere, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

I'm sorry if this is the done thing in other international events and I'm going against convention. Thanks for running this AJ, I'm trying to get a group going from Limerick to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I believe Ayjay means that any international players will be kept sperate from each other as opposed to a seperate group away from the unwashed masses.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I put in a vote for SFxT to be changed to 1v1. Will be almost certainly be there. not 100% confirmed yet.

I think we will be fine if we get the number of setups. I am confident it will be fine. :)
    FutureGuy wrote: »

As a person who cannot attend Inferno and as someone who is not very good, I'm a little concerned by the following..."The groups for this will be seeded based on the Inferno seeding where possible and reputation if necessary". If this is a separate event, then surely the groups should be random? It's tough to get any ranking in Inferno if you cannot attend them on a regular basis. Also, repuation would be heavily biased towards Inferno attendees. There are plenty of great Cork players for example. If some groups are tougher or easier, then that's the luck of the draw. It makes it more exciting.

Dan is right, I am gonna keep two Engerlish players, for example, in different groups just cause.

As for seeding, this always crops up. The pros and cons of seeding or not. This worked well last year and I think it is best to use a system that is proven to work. I do want to clarify one thing about my reputation comment. This is not just an opinion. If Ryan Hart comes over (lol) then he's gonna get his seed based on his reputation. Chunkis saying he can beat Ryan hart will not constitute a seeding place
    Azza wrote: »
    I put in a vote for SFxT to be changed to 1v1. Will be almost certainly be there. not 100% confirmed yet.

To be honest I am not that pushed on Teams being the format for SFxT. I like the idea of teams but maybe that's more of a 'if there's time' job. I am happy enough to change this to 1v1 as that seems to be the desire of most. I know there are people also like to idea of teams, so on the day, if we can, I'll make it happen. I will say one thing though. If we are going with 1v1 then I am going to take Choppers point on board re single elim and have that format for the 1v1. I'll update the website & previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The best player who's at the tournament (who's available to travel) should go to Evo. Seeding is the way to achieve that. There are maybe 4 or 5 unseeded players in Ireland that I'd rate as being as good as/better than the currently seeded Inferno players, and they've all actively attended Infernos in the past.

Pity they won't be seeded for this but the players that are consistently placing in the largest and most competitive SF4 event on the island are the people that deserve seed spots imo (for anyone that thinks that this is self-serving as I'm a seeded player, I very much doubt I'll be entering the tournament).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

is mk9 being seeded?

Kanped wrote: »
    Ugh... booked to play a wedding that night. I wouldn't want to risk not making it back to Belfast in time. Damn shame, last year was fantastic; best event I've been to by far. Best of luck guys, hope it goes well.

Just saw this. The event will end at 6pm sharp - we have no choice on this so depending on travel time........

Hi all,

Due to popular demand, the SFxT tournament has been changed from a team tournament to a singles tournament. This will be a single elimination tournament. The website has been updated to reflect this. All existing registrations for the team event will be counted for the singles one.

If we have capacity on the day, we can look at a side team tourney but I cannot say this for certain yet.

Thanks,
    Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'll hopefully be at this, but I have a tonne of stuff to deal with on my end over the next few weeks so it's not a certainty :/
    At the very least I'll try and get some equipment sent up.

UPDATE

We are announcing another prize for the event. We are giving a Madcatz TE to the winner of uMVC at this years Evo Qualifier in April.

We are sorting more prizes for the other events and will announce as we know.

Thanks
    Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Bumped up the NeoEmpire thread with updates.

http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12704&page=2

is mk9 being seeded?

hi ayjayirl, could i get a answer on that? ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

ayjayirl wrote: »
    UPDATE

We are announcing another prize for the event. We are giving a Madcatz TE to the winner of uMVC at this years Evo Qualifier in April.

We are sorting more prizes for the other events and will announce as we know.

Thanks
    Aj

Finally I can learn Stick!

hi ayjayirl, could i get a answer on that? ^

Only SF is seeded as groups are involved. All other events are straight double/single elim and do not require seeding imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Why would it being a bracket mean it shouldn't be seeded? It would take 30 seconds to seed the MK9 bracket and there's plenty of data available to do it with, seems unfair on the lads heading down for MK to not seed it.

• Advertisement

Only SF is seeded as groups are involved. All other events are straight double/single elim and do not require seeding imo.

the seeding from DOC could be used? thats just a straight up double elim.

i know sf main focus of this event and i appreciate mk being put on the bill but lot the mk lads travel long journey to get down to suppport mk.
    like razer for example, hes seeded, wouldnt think it be fair if he got me,kuro,nutrient or glue in the 1st match because the bracket was random

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

the seeding from DOC could be used? thats just a straight up double elim.

i know sf main focus of this event and i appreciate mk being put on the bill but lot the mk lads travel long journey to get down to suppport mk.
    like razer for example, hes seeded, wouldnt think it be fair if he got me,kuro,nutrient or glue in the 1st match because the bracket was random

Word. I'll be supplying a system too so... wud be nice ;)

All the best,
    RAZER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How come SFXT is the only single elim tourney?

I don't have any strong feelings towards not seeding mk9. Umvc also, may aswell. like you say we can use doc seed list.

Sfxt singles due to space/time continuum being as it is constrained on the day.

I don't have any strong feelings towards not seeding mk9. Umvc also, may aswell. like you say we can use doc seed list.

thanks man, im sure the mk players will appreciate it, i do anyways
    (the same with marvel guys im sure also)

Someone was onto PM with me on IRC about writing an article about the Evo Qualifers for http://www.versusism.com/, just asked me whether there was a site for registering and I gave him it and I'll link the article when it's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'm not sure where the lines were crossed but there seems to be a big contradiction in the article:

"special first prize of a flight & accommodation to the event"

later

"First prize is a return ticket to Las Vegas. This does not include accommodation."

I'm not sure which one is correct but would be best to clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

animaX wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the lines were crossed but there seems to be a big contradiction in the article:

later

"First prize is a return ticket to Las Vegas. This does not include accommodation."

I would guess that's a poor choice of words which means that you get entry paid to Evo.

animaX wrote: »

later

They copied it off the website were Farz got it wrong :p. I'll up date the site.

• Advertisement

Advertisement