Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person of the year - Richard Lynch aka Rich Anthon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Am I the only person that is actually happy for him? Or for that matter actually thinks that he is sound?

You work for/with him don't you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Am I the only person that is actually happy for him? Or for that matter actually thinks that he is sound?

It's not really an issue of whether he's a nice guy or not. We've all heard and seen at this stage how much effort he puts into his projects.

The problem as I see it is that others have done more and been overlooked. Now, it's a pretty meaningless award anyway, but if it's going to be plastered all over the local rags and radio stations it should promote something/someone that's actually made a major difference for Limerick. Photo ops with the local model agencies and fashion houses just isn't enough really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Sniper i'll always be happy for, and respect anyone that works as tirelessly as Richard does, but his particular business is, at least from what I can see- the business of self-promotion.

he does it though with such mastery and aplomb that it would be nothing short of begrudgery to not admire how the man has ingratiated himself into the higher echelons of limerick's high society inner circle.

im still actually not sure though how he contributes anything towards the promotion of limerick, over himself. there seems always to be an angle to the way he operates, effectively promote himself first, limerick second.

should he have won an award that seems to be circulated only amongst his peers? absolutely.

i'd rather see the other contestants nominated for the people of ireland awards, where the fact they came from limerick will give limerick itself far greater exposure and at far less expense than Richard and his "circle of friends".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Are you saying that he deserved it more that Insectoid swancuddler? Shame on you.

As for being happy for R Lynch winning it. Could not give a fiddlers either way to be honest. He is no friend of mine and as such I could not be happy for him in the way I would be for a friend.

Don't know what he is like on a personal level so I could not comment on him along those lines, but he has tried to have dealings with me before with regards to the company I used to work for, and I cannot say I care much for him in a professional sense as he talks too much in a vague and somewhat vapid manner for my liking, but then again that kind of thing probably works well within small local circles.

I guess the best I could say is that if winning this award is a big thing for him and it makes him feel good or whatever, then I don't see any harm in it or him enjoying the win. But what it does show, for me anyway, is that the person of the year award has nothing to do with real achievements given the calibre of those who were overlooked for the title.

But if he is a friend of yours, then it should not matter a damn to ya what others think, you should just be happy for him.

It's not really an issue of whether he's a nice guy or not. We've all heard and seen at this stage how much effort he puts into his projects.

The problem as I see it is that others have done more and been overlooked. Now, it's a pretty meaningless award anyway, but if it's going to be plastered all over the local rags and radio stations it should promote something/someone that's actually made a major difference for Limerick. Photo ops with the local model agencies and fashion houses just isn't enough really.

True. It really should be for people who have had their picture taken with swans, zombies and a transvestite.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't really understand this. He promotes Limerick, and gets his picture published a lot.

Big swinging...........Is that enough to make him Person of the Year? I'd have said not.

Enough people seem to have voted for him however.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    True. It really should be for people who have had their picture taken with swans, zombies and a transvestite.:D

You've lost me now! Which one was that?

The days with the swan pictures (CCSL) and the zombie events (Zuroph) were some of the most fun I ever had in this city. The power of Boardsies FTW.

You've lost me now! Which one was that?

The days with the swan pictures (CCSL) and the zombie events (Zuroph) were some of the most fun I ever had in this city. The power of Boardsies FTW.

You really have to ask as to who I mean? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so being a professional photobomber makes you a man of the year, sweet jesus this town has low standards.

krudler wrote: »
    so being a professional photobomber makes you a man of the year, sweet jesus this town has low standards.

:D

Richard is basically the poor man's answer to Brendan Courtney, who himself is only the poor man's answer to Gok Wan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Anyone who gets off their backside and does something positive gets a thumbs up from me, yeah he is in a lot of press but they seem to be charity events that he is at so free publicity for the charity how bad.
    I think every one of them is a winner though (how liberal of me) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

You work for/with him don't you?

I have done work with him, but I also know him at a personel level too, and would consider him a really good friend of mine.

Wow I'm outnumbered here in that sense.

Hell, we all have our own opinions - I'd have said fair ****s to whoever won it anyway, even if it wasn't him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭touts

Never heard of him before this thread. Had to google him after reading this thread and still not 100% sure who he is and what he does (seems to be a little bit of everything but not a lot of anything). Congrats to him as he seems well meaning but I would be interested to see who else was on the shortlist.

I have done work with him, but I also know him at a personel level too, and would consider him a really good friend of mine.

Wow I'm outnumbered here in that sense.

Hell, we all have our own opinions - I'd have said fair ****s to whoever won it anyway, even if it wasn't him.

You are probably the only person in this thread who can say they regard the guy as a really good friend, so in that regard I suppose you would be alone. But like I said to you earlier, it should not matter a damn what anyone else thinks of him. If he is your friend, then you should be happy for him.

I still think you, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, are a traitor for not supporting Feather Fondler for the person of the year award though. ;)

Hell I don't see you supporting me for it either! :P

Hell I don't see you supporting me for it either! :P

Why would I support you?

Beak boy is your wife. You should support your wife.

You ain't my wife, you are my beeyatch so I don't have to support you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Wow, we have somebody named by a newspaper as Limerick Person of the Year and all the bit*hing starts.
    Richard or none of the other people nominated looked to be nominated.
    There was not a vote so none of the candidates were canvassing.

Fair play to all the people nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

I would have given it to any one of our great politicians who have worked so hard this past year to get all the jobs we have seen arrive in Limerick recently!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Wow, we have somebody named by a newspaper as Limerick Person of the Year and all the bit*hing starts.
    Richard or none of the other people nominated looked to be nominated.
    There was not a vote so none of the candidates were canvassing.

Fair play to all the people nominated.

If there was no vote, how did the panel decide who won?

As for the bitching, well I think most are able to make up their own mind of Mr Lynch public persona, and it would appear that persona is not liked by many who have posted. But anyone who posted something positive about the man were not shouted down.

As for what the man is like on a personal level, well I don't know as he is not a friend of mine, but his public persona is fair game for praise or criticism because he puts it in the public eye.

Those that know and and like the man will be happy for him as they should be. Those that dislike his public persona will think he is a joke winner. I see nothing wrong with people going one way or the other as long as people are not abusive about the guy in a personal manner. Just because people are told someone has won something does not mean everyone has to be happy for that person or think the person deserved it. Much better that people are honest in whether or not they think he should have won than to have loads of people smile and lie. There are already far too many people who do the whole two faced thing in this world, so genuinely honest replies should be respected and not passed off as b*tching just because they don't suit.

well put Kess (yet again!), as Kess said, nobody was shouted down, we all love the Sniper around here, its a public forum so we all may not agree on everything sometimes, but we always respect each others opinions and each other.

This thread isn't about taking personal swipes at Richard, as i already posted- i admire the man for his sterling work in self-promotion!

The general vibe i got from this thread is not that Richard in his own right was not deserving of recognition from his peers, but that there were far more deserving nominees! The fact the vote was not public at least explains somewhat why the other nominees really didnt have a hope, as opposed to had it been put to a public vote, Richard would not have won, because he really isn't that well known to the general public.

Either way that's neither here nor there now, and the award isn't something that means anything to me personally, nor i doubt does it mean a whole pile of beans to people i meet every day in business who not only promote and support Limerick business, but also work tirelessly to promote and support local Limerick charities. Their work seems to go unrecognised as most of it is done in the background and under the radar, they dont seek the limelight as Richard does, their reward is simply the positive feeling they get from giving back to their community and to the city of Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Mike and Jason will be next year's joint winners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Roadend wrote: »
    Mike and Jason will be next year's joint winners?

Now those lads I would vote for if only for Mike's outrageous dress sense!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Its been a long time since the blue and orange leather outfits.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 terror1979

Richard Lynch is only out for one person and that's himself, there were plenty of really people that deserve the award. Its sick that Richard Lynch got it,

terror1979 wrote: »
    Richard Lynch is only out for one person and that's himself, there were plenty of really people that deserve the award. Its sick that Richard Lynch got it,

And your reasoning for this is?

And your reasoning for this is?

there was more deserving winner like Mark Quinn or Tina O Gorman, need i say anymore

there was more deserving winner like Mark Quinn or Tina O Gorman, need i say anymore

You should probably say a lot more, actually. Saying it's "sick" that such and such a person received what is, really, a meaningless award is a bit absurd without some kind of a decent explanation.

You should probably say a lot more, actually. Saying it's "sick" that such and such a person received what is, really, a meaningless award is a bit absurd without some kind of a decent explanation.

not only is it absurd though, it just sounds like ridiculous hyperbole.

as has already been stated, the award itself doesnt mean a whole pile of beans to the general public, it only means something to those that regard it as recognition of their achievements. Richard just happens to be one of those people, so by all means i for one wont begrudge him something that obviously means that much to him.

Wow. Just... wow.

Moderator note:

I'm going to give you a warning now, because you're new here. Anyone else would be getting a week off for a rant like that.

Read the Limerick Forum Charter.
    Pay particular attention to the section about civility towards others.
    Take a few minutes to calm down, and then, when you're ready, start posting again.

If you make another OTT attack against another person's character on this forum again, you will be banned for it.

• Advertisement

I don't think I deserve a warning as I was asked to say more by you, and in my opinion my previous post was the "decent explanation" you your self requested. If I am too be given a warning for responding in the manner asked then you should grant yourself a weeks warning for incitement. After all you are the moderator and as such should be arbitrary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement