Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person of the year - Richard Lynch aka Rich Anthon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm happy that I am found someone else that uses the phrase mono minded.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

terror1979 wrote: »
    I don't think I deserve a warning as I was asked to say more by you, and in my opinion my previous post was the "decent explanation" you your self requested. If I am too be given a warning for responding in the manner asked then you should grant yourself a weeks warning for incitement. After all you are the moderator and as such should be arbitrary.

Keep digging, buddy. I've never met the man or had any dealings with him. Neither do I know any of the other candidates personally. As such I can deal with this perfectly arbitrarily.

You, however, have gone on a very personal and totally unprovoked rant against Richard Lynch as an individual. That's not on.

Follow the links above. Get to know what's acceptable on this forum and what isn't before you post again. Otherwise you'll just have to learn the hard way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Shellshocked

Keep digging, buddy. I've never met the man or had any dealings with him. Neither do I know any of the other candidates personally. As such I can deal with this perfectly arbitrarily.

You, however, have gone on a very personal and totally unprovoked rant against Richard Lynch as an individual. That's not on.

Follow the links above. Get to know what's acceptable on this forum and what isn't before you post again. Otherwise you'll just have to learn the hard way.
    I know I don't post over here, mainly cos it's full of small time cheap shots. I do like to look in now and again tho' I have to say that having had dealings with a few of the names mentioned here I'd have to agree with terror1979 and a few others who chose their words a bit more carefully throughout the thread. He went a bit ott but it was well written and I'd say a fair explination. You the Mod did totally ask for it and should be held to account by boards.ie for weighing in all hard when it got a bit hot for ya. It would be a bit much for ya to ban some dude for responding in the way he did after you asked him. Maybe you should think twice about your roll as a mod.
    Hahahaha, I've just had a text from a dude who posts here....he's explained who's who behind the on screen names. Now I see it for what it is. That makes it all the more funny. JeezI should check in with you children more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Well someone has a grudge :O

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah lads, ye couldn't make this stuff up. Shellshocked and terror1979 banned for being sock-puppets.

• Advertisement

Well someone has a grudge :O

Speaking of which.......

It is almost Thursday again Punk. :D

Ah lads, ye couldn't make this stuff up. Shellshocked and terror1979 banned for being sock-puppets.

Proper sock puppets?

I may have watched Snatch again this week, so anyone who knows the film will get the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 baggypants007

xsiborg wrote: »
    :D

Richard is basically the poor man's answer to Brendan Courtney, who himself is only the poor man's answer to Gok Wan.

love it

Kess73 wrote: »
    Proper sock puppets?

Here's a timely Snatch quote for you:

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

;)
    love it

Baggypants007 banned as an alt-account of terror1979 and Shellshocked.

Here's a timely Snatch quote for you:

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

;)

Baggypants007 banned as an alt-account of terror1979 and Shellshocked.

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Well I for one thought he was deserving of it - he does more for Limerick than anyone else, so should be a Limerick person of d year. I like to see the recaps of events that the cover, just watched d dalai lama video the other day & the coverage of the pro am was great too. Its a nice service and considering its free - I appreciate it!

Although on a side note, Christ is their facebook stream annoying - they'd promote any limerick random business that asks (or pays??) - does cheapen the whole thing a bit, but i guess we all have to make money somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Oh man their facebook is so annoying I actually had to dislike I love Limerick. I felt dirty doing such a thing but my god so so bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Does R Lynch get paid for any of this? Is it all voluntary? What does he do to pay the bills? (curiosity......)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Does R Lynch get paid for any of this? Is it all voluntary? What does he do to pay the bills? (curiosity......)

Sniper said he is a full time carer, so he probably gets a carer's allowance. Don't think how the guy pays the bills or what he earns really matters though. His income would be his own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Feck Richard Lynch, I want to hear more about this computer using sock puppets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

seachto7 wrote: »

Nope makes nothing, none of the 3 partners do.

Edit:

Just for clarity and so I don't get in trouble with anyone, its all not for profit for ALL involved. Money raised stays in ilovelimerick for bills, gear and the likes. Things aren't free even if you offer a service for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 digitaldolf

Sad, sad, sad. The begrudgery. If any of ye had done half of what Richard has done for Limerick.....
    All the bitching says more about how sad the people are who bitch about him than it says about Richard.
    Sorry guys. Richard Lynch is a sound person. Instead of bitching, do something positive.
    There's no need for all that poison.

And no, Richard doesn't get paid for all this. Neither do I when I take photos for ilovelimerick. Neither do any of us who work for ilovelimerick. It's all voluntary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Sad, sad, sad. The begrudgery. If any of ye had done half of what Richard has done for Limerick.....
    All the bitching says more about how sad the people are who bitch about him than it says about Richard.
    Sorry guys. Richard Lynch is a sound person. Instead of bitching, do something positive.
    There's no need for all that poison.

There's no poison or begrudgery going on here,
    I think if you go back and read the thread properly, you'll see quite a number of people congratulating Richard but then saying that they think there was more deserving limerick people in the last year.

Edit: Oh and I personally don't believe getting your picture in the paper every week and running a barely followed blog counts as doing stuff for Limerick. There's a few people on this very forum that have done more for Limerick in the last year than Richard.

Frankly, I don't know the guy, I don't want to know the guy, and I've nothing against the guy, but I do believe that he didn't deserve the title of Limerick person of the year. That doesn't make me a begrudger, it's my opinion on the situation and I'm entitled to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

This year’s nominees were;
    1. Joe Cunningham, who is credited with introducing adaptive rowing to clubs around Ireland, and thus improving the lives of people with disabilities immensely;
    2. Richard Lynch, whose tireless efforts at promoting Limerick through his ILoveLimerick.com brand have helped to reclaim the region’s reputation;
    3. Sarah Hurley, who battled to restore respite services for adults with intellectual disabilities;
    4. the Bruff senior team who lifted the Bateman All-Ireland Cup in April;
    5. Mount Everest summiteer Mark Quinn, who climbed the world’s tallest peak for charity;
    6. Wimbledon and US Open qualifying tennis player Conor Niland;
    Special Olympian Alan Quinlan, who brought home six medals to his native Cappamore;
    7. Ann Boland, who lost her 14 year old son David to a sever asthma attack in 2005 and has campaigned tirelessly for schools and sports clubs across Limerick to be equipped with vital medical equipment;
    8. Margaret O’Shaughnessy long serving director of Foynes Flying Boat Museum;
    9. Tina O’Gorman who reached her target of €1 million for local charities in October;
    10. nine-year-old Adam O’Sullivan from Abbeyfeale whose singing exploits have helped raise €50,000 for sick children;
    11. the voluntary rescue service team - CERT - who patrol the Shannon to search for missing people.

Source: Limerick Leader article, not sure if the above is the journalists own descriptions or from the organising committee.

Now seriously people, take a look at that list and tell me that he honestly deserved to win. Quite frankly the claim beside his name is nothing more than a load of old PR claptrap. I don't know who exactly made that claim, so let me make it clear that I am not blaming Richard for that ludicrous statement but that is exactly what it is - ludicrous. ilovelimerick is merely a platform for local businesses to pimp their products and for social butterflies/aspiring media types, to be seen and heard. It is the same old group of socialites and their business/political friends whooping it up and clapping each other on the back.

There are at least 8 other nominees on that list that are far more deserving of that award, people that went out of their way to raise money for charity who are not simply motivated by a desire to become a "big fish in a small pond".

I'd like to know who exactly was on the committee that decided the winner because frankly this stinks to high heaven.

The award at the end of the day may not be a big deal, but it is the stink of cronyism and "who you know, not what you know" that makes this whole thing a complete and utter farce.

EDIT: Bit of context.

ilovelimerick.com is ranked 18,655,661 for internet traffic

Limerick Communications Office Website is ranked 7,533,103 for internet traffic

Limerick Leader website ranked at 433,149 for internet traffic.

Limerick Blogger's ranking is 169,680 for internet traffic.

You can check the stats on alexa.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

source wrote: »
    There's no poison or begrudgery going on here

The last page was filled with it (though it was all from one person with a bee in their bonnet) but you could see how people who know him personally could become incensed.

I'm not sure why this thread has even reached this many pages as it's all nonsense really. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The last page was filled with it (though it was all from one person with a bee in their bonnet) but you could see how people who know him personally could become incensed.

I'm not sure why this thread has even reached this many pages as it's all nonsense really. :cool:

I don't know if it's all nonsense, this:
    1. Joe Cunningham, who is credited with introducing adaptive rowing to clubs around Ireland, and thus improving the lives of people with disabilities immensely;
    2. Richard Lynch, whose tireless efforts at promoting Limerick through his ILoveLimerick.com brand have helped to reclaim the region’s reputation;
    3. Sarah Hurley, who battled to restore respite services for adults with intellectual disabilities;
    5. Mount Everest summiteer Mark Quinn, who climbed the world’s tallest peak for charity;
    Special Olympian Alan Quinlan, who brought home six medals to his native Cappamore;
    7. Ann Boland, who lost her 14 year old son David to a sever asthma attack in 2005 and has campaigned tirelessly for schools and sports clubs across Limerick to be equipped with vital medical equipment;
    9. Tina O’Gorman who reached her target of €1 million for local charities in October;
    10. nine-year-old Adam O’Sullivan from Abbeyfeale whose singing exploits have helped raise €50,000 for sick children;
    11. the voluntary rescue service team - CERT - who patrol the Shannon to search for missing people.

Shows that the questions being asked here and the concerns that are being voiced are legitimate. There are people in that list that have done a lot more than running a website, and they would deserve it a lot more than Richard. This quoted post alone is worth the thread going on for as long as it has.

Not when a self-obsessed blogger is awarded person of the year over a woman that raised €1,000,000 for charity. Guess which one sets a better example for our city and what it means to be person of the year. I'll give you a hint, it isn't the first one.

But it was an award where the nominees were named by who? And the winner was chosen why who? And the prize is what? Those questions are all rhetorical. Did anyone of those nominated do what ever it was they did do it to win this "prize"? I doubt it, and by achieving what they have done in their own fields as I said earlier in the thread they are all winners. Talking in circles about how others are more deserving of this "award" achieves nothing.

But it was an award where the nominees were named by who? And the winner was chosen why who? And the prize is what? Those questions are all rhetorical. Did anyone of those nominated do what ever it was they did do it to win this "prize"? I doubt it, and by achieving what they have done in their own fields as I said earlier in the thread they are all winners. Talking in circles about how others are more deserving of this "award" achieves nothing.

Bullcrap. People are perfectly entitled to question this. It is this attitude of don't ask, don't question, know your place that has this country ruined.

This award might be trivial but quite frankly it pisses me off to see the same old insider/outsider crap at play. Make no mistake about it, that is exactly what this is and we shouldn't stand for it in any shape or form.

The ego-stroking, back clapping circle in Limerick deserve to be called out on their bullcrap as much as possible.

Bullcrap. People are perfectly entitled to question this. It is this attitude of don't ask, don't question, know your place that has this country ruined.

Ah now, don't take my apathy towards an award that was made up by a newspaper to fill spaces as a lack of motivation when it comes to issues that actually play any role in individuals lives across this country. :rolleyes:

Ah now, don't take my apathy towards an award that was made up by a newspaper to fill spaces as a lack of motivation when it comes to issues that actually play any role in individuals lives across this country. :rolleyes:

Oh wait...you mean to say the award was made up by the same newspaper that Richard Lynch is a contributor to? How interesting!

Glad to see that cronyism is alive and well and that there are people out there still willing to make excuses for it. :rolleyes:

As for your comments above issues that actually play a role in people's lives across the country, take a look at the list above and tell me why the 8 people who actually made a difference in people's lives were overlooked in favour of the guy that is the biggest shill for local businesses and socialites.

What a great country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's actually sickening. There are 3 people, including a child, who have done extraordinary things for charity. 2 people who have made improvements for people with disabilities. 1 bereaved mother who is trying to help ensure nobody dies in the way her son did and the people who volunteer to do traumatic search and rescue work in the river. All of these people give of themselves to help the lives of others. All worthy winners.

Then you have a medal winning Special Olympian and a young man with the potential to be a top class tennis player. While these two people haven't helped others by those actions they have both represented the city on a world stage, so either could also be an understandable winner.

But the actual winner is the guy with a not terribly popular website? A website which I don't doubt he does to promote the city but he does in fact promote himself so very, very much more. I'm actually disgusted.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I've had enough, I'm off to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

I sometimes wonder why this city is in the state it's in and this story seems to answer a lot of questions.

The award was won by a contributor to the Leader who let's face it has done very little if anything for the cities image.
    A man who it seems is all about self promotion.

It's up to everyone to compare his achievements to the others on the list and decide but frankly this stinks of the usual cronyism typical of the city and country as a whole.

Will this man improve the city in any way?
    I don't think so.

Once again it is a failure to acknowledge the problems in the city that results in a decision like this.

Make no mistake this city will continue to go backwards as long as we give out awards like this to people who do not make a contribution of any sort to the city.

As an aside i hope minister Noonan was embarassed to be involved in this presentation like this considering the message it sends out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Richard Lynch only really promotes Limerick to Limerick people.
    Selling snow to Eskimos rings a bell.

Celia Holman Lee does a good job of promoting Limerick on a national scale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement