Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moral Dilemma - Tesco's Self-Checkout Undercharged Me...

• 05-03-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I don't want to say what it was (because it might be a wide-spread problem and I don't want people to exploit it) but I took an item off the shelf that should have been 4 euro.

When I scanned it in the self-checkout it rang up as .38 euro. I had a few other items so I didn't immediately notice.

The place was packed and I was in a rush - so I paid whatever it said, took my stuff, and left. As I was walking out I realized the amount was less than it should have been. I've since verified it with my receipt.

Is this considered theft? Should I go back and pay the difference? Should I go back and try to buy 10 more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Robdude wrote: »
    I don't want to say what it was (because it might be a wide-spread problem and I don't want people to exploit it) but I took an item off the shelf that should have been 4 euro.

When I scanned it in the self-checkout it rang up as .38 euro. I had a few other items so I didn't immediately notice.

The place was packed and I was in a rush - so I paid whatever it said, took my stuff, and left. As I was walking out I realized the amount was less than it should have been. I've since verified it with my receipt.

Is this considered theft? Should I go back and pay the difference? Should I go back and try to buy 10 more?

If it scanned at that price for you, it would scan at that price for a sales assistant. don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Is that you Anthony Worrall Thompson?

Also; interesting username...Robdude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Should I go back and try to buy 10 more?

This ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm sure you were overcharged enough times without knowing, it's just balancing things out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I just called the cops and there on the phone to the army - your in trouble now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Don't use your clubcard if ya do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

What was the item?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This is what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

lizt wrote: »
    What was the item?

It was a 6-pack of Pepsi Max

(That's basically diet-Pepsi but it's supposed to be hip and cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I'd ignore it. It wasn't a till so no one is going to get in trouble for it not adding up (as far as I know)..

Plus its tesco.

I will admit that I found 12 Euro in 2 Euro coins in a luas machine one evening, I scooped them up before the "ticket machine advisers" had a chance to. Felt bad about it later and ended up donating 12 quid to a charity online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 PrincessHolly

hey, i happens all the time. its the tesco's staff fault as they inputted the wrong price in their main system. no its not theft, if it scanned in at that price and thats what you paid then its legal. hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I constantly scam self-checkouts

It feels good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Tesco's Self-Checkout Undercharged Me

Shhuuuuurrrrrrre it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

grabs coat to run down to local Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The price on the shelf is an invite to purchase at that price, the price on the till is the actual contract, so you are legally and morally in the clear unless you took one of their scanners and changed the price yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wait in the Tesco car park for the checkout to finish work and intercept it on the way out of the store and explain the situation discreetly to it. That should be alright.

Unless it's 24 hour store. In which case your're fcked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Tesco do this all the time reduce an item and not put the price on the shelf , you did nothing wrong you got a bargain! If it was me I would have gone back and cleared the shelf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Robdude when he got home that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Before you decide to turn yourself in i'd suggest a read through this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419774

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

this always happens in tesco, I go there specifically sometimes for stuff like that, big thread on boards about it already, what is cheap etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Tesco offer double the difference for overcharging.............so id say go back and offer them double back,as an apology like:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

YOUR NUTS :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

moonshadow wrote: »
    YOUR NUTS :eek:

Ouch.. wouldn't do that on my nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm seriously confused about why you started this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Next time that happens be sure and do the honourable thing by telling your fellow customers about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

dvpower wrote: »
    I'm seriously confused about why you started this thread?

I was confused as to why it got closed....

I had my Tesco mishap today and it got me thinking about how much I spend on Pepsi. Not just in the cost, but in the hassle of buying it in 6-9 packs and carrying it home.

I've seen delivery guys wheel in *huge* stacks of cans on a wheeled cart - into restaurants. I'm sure they've got to be getting some sort of whole-sale discount...

Oh well.

I guess it should have been in the 'Bargins' forum and not After Hours? Anyway - I'm not trying to argue with the mods; since it was inappropriate - I apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It wouldn't scan in a pack of johnnies for me and I had to call for assistance so call it karma paid forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

It was hip and cool about 15 years ago when it was in super cans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

THE SERMON IS THE ONLY PART OF MASS THAT'S IN ENGLISH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

This seems to happen quite a bit in Tesco but just wondering if you have checked the best before date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No, you'll only just end up going and robbing another 10 of them... stay away and leave those poor, defenseless self-checkouts alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It wouldn't scan in a pack of johnnies for me and I had to call for assistance so call it karma paid forward.

you bad bad catholic... you'll burn in hell for using condoms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

State of Tesco, would avoid it like the plague.
    You should always scan the cheapest item 3 times and then move your more expensive food through, it saves you monies

MUHAAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAAAAHAHA

The best scam you could do though is head to Woodies preferably during the winter months where it is dark before they close.

get whatever you want, head out to garden centre and throw the stuff over the fences.

Leave woodies, drive around the corner & profit

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

warning - don't actually do this, it's illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

^^^^^^

Thats not a scam, just plain thievery.

Advertisement