Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary on making of FIFA 12

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭

Am a 'retired ' gamer...but used to love playing Fifa ariound 2000,2001 and was handy at it...came across a sky documentary the other day on making of current Fifa 2012....the game makers reckoned it is way ahead of last few years editons....in areas like tackling realistically and defending....IS IT?
    Am half thinking of starting playing games again a bit....would have to invest in a new console etc.....Is likes of fifa 2012 way ahead of current Pro Evo soccer?....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Am a 'retired ' gamer...but used to love playing Fifa ariound 2000,2001 and was handy at it...came across a sky documentary the other day on making of current Fifa 2012....the game makers reckoned it is way ahead of last few years editons....in areas like tackling realistically and defending....IS IT?
    Am half thinking of starting playing games again a bit....would have to invest in a new console etc.....Is likes of fifa 2012 way ahead of current Pro Evo soccer?....

The new defending system is definitely a massive improvement over anything that I've ever played. The tackling system is good, but how a tackle is judged isn't. The contact and reactions of players are realistic for the most part, but free kicks are given for perfectly good and well timed tackles. FIFA has left PES long behind over the last few years, I think they simply have more resources. It's a game so it isn't perfect, but they are making massive steps forward. I used to be a PES man myself, but it's not in the same league anymore unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Friel wrote: »
    The new defending system is definitely a massive improvement over anything that I've ever played. The tackling system is good, but how a tackle is judged isn't. The contact and reactions of players are realistic for the most part, but free kicks are given for perfectly good and well timed tackles. FIFA has left PES long behind over the last few years, I think they simply have more resources. It's a game so it isn't perfect, but they are making massive steps forward. I used to be a PES man myself, but it's not in the same league anymore unfortunately.

Defending is terrible in Fifa imo. Purely to do with the AI, players never cover the channels and when you move them into position to do so they just let the ball go by them and don't do something as simple as stick out their foot. Teams on the break always have the player with the ball running towards goal but another player will always be running parallel to him and the defenders just ignore him, leading to an easy goal 90% of the time.

Standing tackles are overpowered and sliding tackles underpowered too. It should not be so easy for a forward to take the ball off a defender, strength should come into more imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Get a copy of FIFA 11, tippex out the 1 and stick in a 2. Update the clubs and jerseys.

Must have been a short documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

'Megafactories: FIFA 12' was the name of it. They went to EA Vancouver and documented the things that go on behind the scenes.

I missed it, but a mate of mine said it was very good. If anyone knows where I can see it online, link me or shoot me a PM.

OP, FIFA 12 is not lightyears ahead of footie games you would have played, I reckon it is as good as it is going to be on current gen consoles and has been steadily getting better since 08, but nothing mind blowing. FIFA 12 is however a game I bought in September and still play every day, cant say that about any other game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    'Megafactories: FIFA 12' was the name of it. They went to EA Vancouver and documented the things that go on behind the scenes.

I missed it, but a mate of mine said it was very good. If anyone knows where I can see it online, link me or shoot me a PM.

OP, FIFA 12 is not lightyears ahead of footie games you would have played, I reckon it is as good as it is going to be on current gen consoles and has been steadily getting better since 08, but nothing mind blowing. FIFA 12 is however a game I bought in September and still play every day, cant say that about any other game.

Hi]
    It was on national geographic channel part of the Megafactories season,, try sky anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, it's pretty much the same game every year.. I only buy it every 5 years or so. Same with all the EA Sports games, they're only worth buying every year if you play them _a lot_.

Liam O wrote: »
    Defending is terrible in Fifa imo. Purely to do with the AI, players never cover the channels and when you move them into position to do so they just let the ball go by them and don't do something as simple as stick out their foot. Teams on the break always have the player with the ball running towards goal but another player will always be running parallel to him and the defenders just ignore him, leading to an easy goal 90% of the time.

Standing tackles are overpowered and sliding tackles underpowered too. It should not be so easy for a forward to take the ball off a defender, strength should come into more imo.

Suppose it must be the way you have it setup then, because I don't have any of those problems. Especially not easy goals 90% of the time :confused:

I don't use autoswitching, so any position that I want covered I do myself when I'm off the ball. Interceptions aren't automatic either, and why should they be? When the ball is near you pushing circle or square will stick a foot out. Some people are better than others at it. I admit I'm fairly useless at interceptions, but I play online most of the time and there's people that are extremely good at it. There is also an interception stat remember, the likes of Gattuso and Nigel De Jong have good interception stats if I remember right.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Get a copy of FIFA 11, tippex out the 1 and stick in a 2. Update the clubs and jerseys.

Must have been a short documentary.

You clearly haven't played it then. I'm not just being a fanboy here, but it genuinely is alot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I only ever liked a few games....Fifa,Rugby,Nfl.
    If I was going to invest in a console and mainly liked sports games what would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's on YouTube...Not sure if I can add any more to that thanks to recent Copyright rules, so going to err on the side of caution.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If I was going to invest in a console and mainly liked sports games what would people recommend?

pretty much the same :D Madden is still knocking around, the NBA games have improved immensely. You should obviously try to expand your horizons too as some extraordinary games have come out this generation and you'd probably get a lot of enjoyment out of the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect series, some driving games like Forza on the Xbox and a rake of others too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Fight Night Champion
    Skate 3
    FIFA 12
    SSX
    Tiger Woods PGA 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It is being repeated on Friday at 8am and Saturday at 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty much the same game every year.. I only buy it every 5 years or so. Same with all the EA Sports games, they're only worth buying every year if you play them _a lot_.

Honest question,
    If you only buy it every 5 years or so, how can you know that its basically the same game EVERY year,
    A quick 5 min game is enough to highlight the differences between the two, and there are quite a few differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for tips...I used to play Tiger woods golf as well...
    So say if I wanted to treat myself...would people go for the xBox or Playstation platform?
    ......considering It would be mainly sports games and maybe a bit of likes of Medal Of Honour ....That I would buy.

Thanks for tips...I used to play Tiger woods golf as well...
    So say if I wanted to treat myself...would people go for the xBox or Playstation platform?
    ......considering It would be mainly sports games and maybe a bit of likes of Medal Of Honour ....That I would buy.

Both systems are good. They both have their positives and negatives, but none more than the other. It's really just down to personal preference. I have the PS3 because I've always used a Playstation, not because I think it's better than xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Online is free on playstation, have both and play the PS more cos of that.

Advertisement