Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance covered in US?

• 05-03-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi there,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows whether health insurance like VHI would cover elective medical treatment in the USA?
    Anyone know where i could find this info out?Would a US doctors letter be required?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not usually. You will only find out by contacting the insurance companies directly. Over the past few years these boyos have been cutting the range of benefits stealthily. Now you will find that some elective treatments even in this country are barred. Makes me wonder why I'm still paying them:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Going to a foreign country for elective medical treatment is called medical tourism, no Irish insurer will cover it, especially in the US where medical costs are higher than in any other country for almost every procedure and treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

coylemj wrote: »
    Going to a foreign country for elective medical treatment is called medical tourism, no Irish insurer will cover it, especially in the US where medical costs are higher than in any other country for almost every procedure and treatment.

You can buy travel insurance for your trip but it won't cover any issues relating directly or indirectly to the medical procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Bakemate

I'm afraid Coylemj is incorrect. Most health insurance policies will cover you for medical tourism these days, but the amounts you are covered for depend on the plan you are on. It is also at the insurer's discretion to approve treatment abroad. It is essential to get pre-apporval from your insurer before going for treatment otherwise they won't cover the claim. If you call your insurer, they will tell you if your plan covers it and what you need to do to get pre-approval. If they do cover it, the insurer will only cover you up to the amount that the same or similar procedure would cost in Ireland.

If you look up your plan on www.hia.ie it will give you a rough idea of whether your plan has cover for elective overseas procedures and up to what amount, if stated. For example, see the overseas section in the following comparisons.

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/search-result/285-103-271/

More expensive plans may provide more cover.

Advertisement