Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland pledges half a million yoyos to Syria

• 05-03-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

The Government has pledged €500,000 in emergency aid to help civilians affected by the ongoing crisis in Syria.

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore said the funds will be made available to the Red Cross and United Nations agencies operating in Syria. He underlined the importance of securing immediate and unhindered access for all humanitarian agencies.

Mr Gilmore also echoed warnings made by the UN regarding the dangers associated with any possible militarisation of emergency assistance.
    UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon earlier demanded unconditional humanitarian access to Syrian cities, saying there were "grisly" reports of summary executions and torture in Homs, Syria's third largest city in the centre of the country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0305/syria.html

Not happy about this at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why?
    Its fcuk all money compared to some sh!t we spend millions on and hopefully itll be put to good use considering the mayhem there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You cant be syria?

*gets goat and puts a coat on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I'm pretty p!sssed about this too OP.

Half a mill won't go far at all. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Charity begins at home. There's enough of our own populations having their homs shelled and family members shot dead by the gubberment. Where's their aid, wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

EGAR wrote: »

What will you do about it apart from anonymously complain about it

Why don't you suggest a solution? People much less fortunate than us need our help

It's greed that caused this recession so when I see people giving for once, I've no problem with it

We've wasted money on so much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Why?
    Its fcuk all money compared to some sh!t we spend millions on and hopefully itll be put to good use considering the mayhem there

It's not our *mess*, we can't sort ourselves out but here we are throwing money at a never ending problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

More lunacy, half a million could do a lot of good at Crumlin Childrens Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It's not our *mess*, we can't sort ourselves out but here we are throwing money at a never ending problem.
    The Syrian problem would end right quick if the Russians and Chinese stopped blocking action there. Its a bloody disgrace whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aid should have strings attached

For example we used to sell beef to Libya and Egypt

Here is some aid and now can we interest you in some beef contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I think this is pretty ridiculous tbh, what on earth use could those poor people have with 500,000 'yoyos'?

I mean they probably have enough on their plate dealing with the humanitarian crisis nevermind playing with those silly little toys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Here's a picture of the Syrians enjoying the donation we gave them:

Happy Syrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ireland pledges half a million yoyos to Syria

Each and every one of them made in fooking China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Great, our money going to support CIA sponsored terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The money won't get where it needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

I am angry about this. :mad: We are potentially donating half a million euros to a gang of mercenary murderers. It's hard to see how this won't be used for weapons and ammunition.
    How much of this 500million was kindly donated from his own wealth? Or was it US, the people of Ireland that provided the money? Are we supporting a war there by donating? We doesn't he donate a million to Palenstine's cause as well? Or what about the Kurds who are without a piece of land they can call their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You'd stop €500,000 helping humans but happily spend €1m helping animals, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'd rather we spent €500,000 on euromillions tickets than give it to Syria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I didnt think we had the authority to do such things anymore mwhaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EGAR I say this to you with the utmost respect for your work with animals.

But you've campaigned enough for charitable donations to your animal rescue, I've contributed myself and I respect the work you've done for the Bull breeds in Ireland (including the north of Ireland).

But these are people, human's - being murdered on an industrial scale.

I dare say you've never been to a war zone and seen its effects, I have.

Even in our current economic dire straits I wouldn't begrudge x10's this amount to alleviate the suffering in Syria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Well, it's great timing to be announcing this - what with RTE announcing that we'll be needing another bail out.

Why Syria though? Why not anywhere else?
    Isn't America getting hit with huge storms right now? - should we not be sending Aid there? Hospitals here are begging for donations to help care for our sick children at the moment - why not there? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

WOW, that's 20 years of ink for a shinner........ I know where I'd rather see it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Confab wrote: »
    You'd stop €500,000 helping humans but happily spend €1m helping animals, right?

Americans spend around $50 billion a year on their pets! :eek::eek:

And it's half a million, not 500 million as some seem to be thinking it is.

Tis fcuk all, but there is a point about it not being spent properly for sure.
    It'll probably go to the arms industry eventually.

Poors b@stards. War is hell.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Poors b@stards. War is hell.

And combat is a killer!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Does anyone know any yoyo tricks? No use having a yoyo if you can't do tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

This won't be popular, but they need it more than we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Does anyone know any yoyo tricks? No use having a yoyo if you can't do tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Hazys wrote: »
    Here's a picture of the Syrians enjoying the donation we gave them:

Happy Syrians

Are they looking for the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

500,000 yokes would have been better.

And they'd cost the state nothing.

Just seize them round Waterford.

Unless he's willing to go to Syria and show them all, it's useless, they won't all have youtube there

It'd be like getting microwaveable food without the microwave
    Poor Syria, typical of Ireland, give them something they can't utilize properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I see no issue with this. We spend money on far more trivial things.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

f*ck um. give me some money i have got a pot to piss in. or spend the money on some bombs and blow the f*ckers up

We doesn't he donate a million to Palenstine's cause as well?

We do, we've given them millions in aid and we donate to UNRWA too.

Its being reported in the media that there is a refugee exodus to Lebanon (from Syria), I'm sure our troops in south Lebanon will be ready and willing to lend humanitarian assistance as required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Just shows were on the international stage, in a few years we might get some tourists over.
    But I suppose money could be better spent on xmas cards and ink tonner.

Don't forget free cheese, we gots that as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just to put this into perspective, Bus Eireann spends €300,000 a year on rewarding drivers for not crashing.

• Advertisement

Just to put this into perspective, Bus Eireann spends €300,000 a year on rewarding drivers for not crashing.
    BUS ÉIREANN spends about €300,000 a year on awards to drivers who manage not to crash their buses for a minimum of 200 days.
    at 10 years they get a vase, at 15 years it is a plate, at 20 years they are given another vase, after 25 years they receive a watch, at 30 years they get a clock, and drivers who make it to 35 years are rewarded with a lamp.

200 days without a crash as a sticker might scare the passengers though...

And a lamp.... they get a lamp after 35 years without a crash.... what the ****... that article can't actually be for real... sounds like something taken out of an unused Father Ted episode....

EGAR I say this to you with the utmost respect for your work with animals.

But you've campaigned enough for charitable donations to your animal rescue, I've contributed myself and I respect the work you've done for the Bull breeds in Ireland (including the north of Ireland).

But these are people, human's - being murdered on an industrial scale.

I dare say you've never been to a war zone and seen its effects, I have.

Even in our current economic dire straits I wouldn't begrudge x10's this amount to alleviate the suffering in Syria.

What has my rescue work got to do with my private opinion about this subject? Did I say anywhere it would be better spent on animals? What happened to attack the post not the poster? Especially from a mod, I find this slightly ahem what's the word for it, ah yes, personal..?

What has my rescue work got to do with my private opinion about this subject? Did I say anywhere it would be better spent on animals? What happened to attack the post not the poster? Especially from a mod, I find this slightly ahem what's the word for it, ah yes, personal..?

Well its my opinion on your post and your views expressed in it, like I said - I posted it with the utmost respect to you and your work.

If you find the rest objectionable then I suggest you grow a thicker skin because in all honesty I'm more concerned for the people of Syria than your sensitivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

First and foremost Charity begins at home.Besides the people that really need it in Syria probably wont see any benefit from it.Did the Libyan people get half a million from our "generous" leaders as well and if not why not?

Well its my opinion on your post and your views expressed in it, like I said - I posted it with the utmost respect to you and your work.

If you find the rest objectionable then I suggest you grow a thicker skin because in all honesty I'm more concerned for the people of Syria than your sensitivities.

I am so glad that you have the maturity of not attacking myself and my work because my private opinion doesn't correlate with yours. Well done, very grown up. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

1/2 million is very stingy. they should have made it a decent number like 10 million.

i have spent time out in that part of the world, i can understand why they invented Gog anyways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lividduck wrote: »
    More lunacy, half a million could do a lot of good at Crumlin Childrens Hospital
    what about the €35 million they have already spent on it's replacement ?

or the €650 million budgeted for the project

half a million is chicken feed compared to ongoing wastage of resources

find out how much we are paying for empty decentralised offices and contracts

Government has money for childrens hospital, they just choose to spend it elsewhere, private donations are in effect helping them do this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

lividduck wrote: »

Or keep 10 Sinn Fein TDs supplied with printer toner for two years.

EDIT: Damn you earpiece, damn you to hell :mad:
    earpiece wrote: »
    WOW, that's 20 years of ink for a shinner........ I know where I'd rather see it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    This won't be popular, but they need it more than we do

They need it more than you and me probably. But theres plenty here that could do with it.

As far as I'm aware, a lot of our overseas aid is to do with trade contracts to countries in question

As far as I'm aware, a lot of our overseas aid is to do with trade contracts to countries in question

A lot of the information you might need will either on be, or got from dfa.ie

Really no need for guess work as all this information is either in the public domain or available through FOI.

A lot of the information you might need will either on be, or got from dfa.ie

Really no need for guess work as all this information is either in the public domain or available through FOI.

Fair enough, but is it linked up or is it not?

It is inevitable in any case that foreign aid given to some countries will be spent corruptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thousands of Syrians have recently crossed into Lebanon, the UN says, amid reports that security forces are committing atrocities in Syria.
    The UN refugee agency said as many as 2,000 people fled in the past two days.
    The UK's Channel 4 News broadcast secretly shot footage on Monday that it said shows hospital patients in Homs being tortured by medical staff. Pictures showed wards full of wounded men, shackled to their beds and blindfolded and some showing the marks of severe beatings.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17267720

Can't see how they could be begrudged the few bob with the likes of that and the killings going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Why?

Yeah we're fcuked anyway, so why not go the whole hog.............:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I could'nt give a single fck tbh. What i do care about is the BILLIONS going to pay off unsecured bondholders who should'nt be getting a "red cent".

Our country is the laughing stock of the whole of Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement