Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**A warning to all girls getting a taxi.**

• 05-03-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of my girlfriend was out last night and pulled in a taxi on the street and asked him to bring her to her house which was about a 7 or 8 minute drive from the pub.
    She was admittedly worse for wear, but the taxi driver ended up bringing her miles and miles away from her house and pulled into a secluded area with her. He then tried to put his hands on her but she managed to get out of the car and run away but found herself in a field. She only managed to get help when a security guard that was on duty around where the field is, saw her running and went to see if she was ok.

The taxi driver sped off and he has her phone, purse and bag and all her belongings. The Garda were called and she's ok but she couldn't remember any details about the driver or his car. This happened around the Blanchardstown area of Dublin but I'm putting it here rather than the Dublin forum as it'll reach more people here. Plus this can and does happen all over the country and not just in Dublin.

So for all girls getting in taxis alone at night after the pub or whatever, try to call a cab from a company rather than pull one in from the street. Take note of what type of car it is if you can. When you get in the car take down the drivers name and driver number in your phone. A good idea might be to text these details to a friend or family member and let them know you're on the way home and this is the cab you're in. It might seem like a stupid thing to do and the chances of anything happening to you are slim, but why take the chance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fúcking hell!

Hope your mate is okay

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Are you absolutely sure this really happened?

Fair enough if it did, but it reminds of those urban legends which are meant to scare women away from going out alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It.... mightn't have been a taxi she flagged down.

Taxi drivers know that this sort of behaviour can negatively affect the public's perception of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fair enough if it did, but it reminds of those urban legends which are meant to scare women away from going out alone...

OP must work for Nitelink. Or drive one of those pink hummer limos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Because I don't remortgage the house I don't have to pay 10k+ for a taxi license I'm obviously a rapist

Always get properly licenced taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Sky King wrote: »
    It.... mightn't have been a taxi she flagged down.

Taxi drivers know that this sort of behaviour can negatively affect the public's perception of them.

Doubt a rapist would care about taxi drivers; reputation tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah it does sound like one of those stories but I can honestly say it genuinely did happen.
    She was down the Garda station today giving a statement and stuff. She's fine now. Lesson learned and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Details are different than the one in the D15 thread, that says she was brought to an underground car park in Tallaght, not a secluded area around Blanchardstown.

This isn't one of these urban myths in the making is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Before this gets out of hand:

I've taken literally hundreds of taxis and i've never had a serious problem with any of them. The worst i#ve had to put up with is grinding my teeth when coming across one who will open up the conversation with "Them bleedin' Nigerians, they need to f*ck off back to Poland" or whatever.

There are scumbags in all walks of life. Taxi drivers are no different. But in general I find them to be grand and tend to get an unwarrented bad rep from sensentionalised stories whenever something happens.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Details are different than the one in the D15 thread, that says she was brought to an underground car park in Tallaght, not a secluded area.

This isn't one of these urban myths in the making is it?

I didn't look in the Dublin forum but yeah same girl. It was an underground carpark in Tallaght but I didn't want to give all the details here just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Dean09 wrote: »
    A friend of my girlfriend was out last night and pulled in a taxi on the street and asked him to bring her to her house which was about a 7 or 8 minute drive from the pub.
    She was admittedly worse for wear, but the taxi driver ended up bringing her miles and miles away from her house and pulled into a secluded area with her. He then tried to put his hands on her but she managed to get out of the car and run away but found herself in a field. She only managed to get help when a security guard that was on duty around where the field is, saw her running and went to see if she was ok.

The taxi driver sped off and he has her phone, purse and bag and all her belongings. The Garda were called and she's ok but she couldn't remember any details about the driver or his car. This happened around the Blanchardstown area of Dublin but I'm putting it here rather than the Dublin forum as it'll reach more people here. Plus this can and does happen all over the country and not just in Dublin.

So for all girls getting in taxis alone at night after the pub or whatever, try to call a cab from a company rather than pull one in from the street. Take note of what type of car it is if you can. When you get in the car take down the drivers name and driver number in your phone. A good idea might be to text these details to a friend or family member and let them know you're on the way home and this is the cab you're in. It might seem like a stupid thing to do and the chances of anything happening to you are slim, but why take the chance.

Im sorry your girlfriends mate had a bad experience. Personally, if someone was texting me the details of a taxi driver at 3am in the morning i'd think that a little mental. Her being píssed or sober doesnt really alter how she got into the taxi. She did amazingly well to get away from him so kudos to her.

Bad experience? Hell yeah. Are you being a little OTT about it all. I think so.

She was alone and in a venerable position. Bad luck that that guy was a, well, fúcking rapist.

Hope shes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But you said a secluded area in Blanchardstown. Why would you start such a thread but then leave out these details if you were so concerned about warning women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dean09 wrote: »
    Plus this can and does happen all over the country and not just in Dublin.

Does it really? Any proof of that?

themadchef wrote: »
    Im sorry your girlfriends mate had a bad experience. Personally, if someone was texting me the details of a taxi driver at 3am in the morning i'd think that a little mental. Her being píssed or sober doesnt really alter how she got into the taxi. She did amazingly well to get away from him so kudos to her.

Bad experience? Hell yeah. Are you being a little OTT about it all. I think so.

She was alone and in a venerable position. Bad luck that that guy was a, well, fúcking rapist.

Hope shes ok.

So if he's a rapist going around in a taxi trying to attack girls I'm being OTT by drawing peoples attention to it?? :confused:

I'm not being ott I'm just saying, girls be wary who you get into a car with. Nothing wrong with being careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

but it reminds of those urban legends which are meant to scare women away from going out alone...

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Damn Jews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Whats the problem?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

While this is personal information I would also notice the lack of further evidence puts this thread on shaky ground.

That notwithstanding we've already had a few posts deleted where the girl was essentially blamed which is, I guess, another indication of just how ridiculous and unwelcome opinions can actually get from time to time with a forum of this size. Genuinely astounding that somebody's first reaction to such a story would be a comment like that but there you go.

OP If your intention is genuinely a straightforward attempt to warn then I would suggest the relevant regional forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement