Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Substitute

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

I started using Orgran No Egg replacement powder stuff there a while ago, mainly for baking. However, NOTHING I've used it in has gone right for me. I've had to bin nearly everything I used it for. Am I missing something, or is it just god awful stuff?

Is there any vegan substitute I can swap eggs for that ye would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I follow this blog though I'm not a vegan.
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
    She tends to use flax seeds mixed with water to help as a binding agent, which is really all that the egg is doing in the recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've tried both of these methods.. No Egg and the flax seed, and no joy. The baked stuff just doesn't bind, it's like a pile of crumbs after baking.

What is the best way? Should i mix the powders with the flour first, and then add the water, or mix with water first.

Any other options? We have a child who isn't growing out of an egg allergy so far, and have been told by the hospital to use egg replacements rather than the avoidance we have been going with, so that the diet isn't as restricted. Finding it tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

pwurple wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've tried both of these methods.. No Egg and the flax seed, and no joy. The baked stuff just doesn't bind, it's like a pile of crumbs after baking.

What is the best way? Should i mix the powders with the flour first, and then add the water, or mix with water first.

Any other options? We have a child who isn't growing out of an egg allergy so far, and have been told by the hospital to use egg replacements rather than the avoidance we have been going with, so that the diet isn't as restricted. Finding it tricky.

Hello!

There is a good substitute for eggs (for binding and providing that extra firmness in cooked patties and veggie burgers and whatnot! I assume these are the qualities you want to reproduce!)

I use Arrowroot. It's available in powdered form, very cheap, in many of the Asian markets around, and in some health stores. I know it is definitely in Asia Market on Drury street in Dublin.

I hope this helps! I just used it to bind some bean burgers earlier this evening and they worked out brilliantly!
    To replace one egg, dissolve one tablespoon of arrowroot in a little bit (just over an eggsworth!) of water. Add this whenever needed! :)

Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

pwurple wrote: »

You could try some vegan recipes, rather than trying to replace eggs - sometimes if there are too many eggs in a recipe, the egg replacer can't quite make up for . If it's only one egg, I've found the egg replacer to work fine, mix it with water before adding to the rest of the ingredients.

theppk.com is a good place to start with recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks, I tried pancakes at the weekend, same chalky taste, but the texture was good, very light, lighter than my normal pancake which I was delighted with. And the baby loved them with some lemon. I couldn't stomach the chalk aftertaste myself, so most of it went in the bin again.

Arrowroot is a good idea. I'll give that a go.

I find vegan baking tricky, as the butter and milk replacements are there as well. The ingredients I am not familiar with. I had a look at the website, thanks for the link... but I am having trouble tracking down some bits.

http://www.theppk.com/2010/06/2000/
    So, Silken Tofu, agave syrup, canola oil. Where to get these in Cork city? I asked in the health food shop in the center of the english market, but no joy.

Soy milk I can get, but could I sub in ordinary milk I wonder?

These looked simpler, but I got stuck again.
    http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/vanilla-bean-cupcakes-with-chocolate-ganache/

Almond milk I can't find. I'm wondering if that is strong tasting to counter-act the chalkiness of the baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch? As that is mainly what is in the no-egg.

The biscuits I thought might be even simpler, as I make plain sugar biscuits without egg, but one for an oatmeal biscuit here, and again, oils, silken tofu, molasses and 1/2 cup of applesauce. Can't get the first ones, and no recipe for the applesauce.
    http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/oatmeal-peanut-butter-cookies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

You should be able to find silken tofu in any Asian or Oriental supermarket.

For canola oil, or any oil called for in baking, just use vegetable oil from Dunnes.

When a recipe says almond/ oat/ rice/ soya milk, just use any kind of milk you like and have to hand. You can even substitute water here if you've no milk in.

Molasses should be easy enough to find in any Dunnes/ Tesco, it's usually with the baking bits and is in a jar. It's also very common in health food shops.

Applesauce - you can just use the Chivers kind that you'd put next to your pork chops on a Sunday, do you know the jars? They're in every Dunnes/ Tesco, near the jars of sauces like mayo/ ketchup/ mustard.

Agave syrup - you can use maple syrup (easy to find in Dunnes/ Tesco/ healthfood shop), or you can just use homemade sugar syrup. Agave syrup is low in sugar, but if you aren't concerned with that, just mix up a few spoons of sugar into warm water til you have a syrup, and use a teasp/ whatever measurement of that.

If you think of things in terms of texture, that is what is being replaced, rather than individual ingredients. So if it's a liquid ingredient you can't find, try and replace with a similar liquid, or if it's applesauce that you don't want to use, use a mashed banana instead. Cornstarch isn't chalky in taste, I think it gives a sort of creamy taste (weird I know, but you generally mix it with the liquid and get a pouring-cream texture).

The cookies I make the most (because I always seem to have the ingredients, because they're quick and easy!) are Sparkled Ginger Cookies (http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1986823-Vegan-Sparkled-Ginger-Cookies) and Chocolate Chip Cookies (http://www.theppk.com/2008/11/chocolate-chip-cookies/ - substitute cornflour for tapioca starch if you don't have it). I'd say you have everything in your kitchen right now to make those chocolate chip ones, and you can leave out the chocolate and make them plain, or put in other things like coconut/ raisins/ whatever.

Sorry this turned into an essay, I guess cookies are close to my heart!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just a note on vegan substitutes in general......I came across this the other day and thought it was a nice concise list of handy substitutes.

Advertisement