Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using shared washing machine for baby's clothes

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Myself and my other half are expecting our first baby in May.
    We're looking to move into a new apartment very soon (timing could be better, I know). Most of the places we've looked at have a shared washing machine and dryer in the basement of the building to be shared between 3/4 apartments.
    We're a bit concerned that using a shared washing machine might not be the best for the baby's clothes, in case of any germs, or traces of strong chemicals/odours/perfumes from the clothes of others might not agree with the baby's delicate skin.

I've searched online and opinions seem to be mixed, can't seem to find any definitive medical advice either. Just wondering what people think of this and if anyone has any experience.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've lived in apartment buildings with big laundry rooms that the 600+ residents used, many had children and it was either use those washing machines or go to a local laundrette and I often saw them washing baby clothes in them, can't imagine they're being too much to worry about, as long as you yourself were using a detergent that didn't irritate their skin. Re: germs the heat in the water kills any germs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eibhlin2011

Hi

I wouldn't worry about that at all. On my first baby I used to wash his clothes separately using Fairy detergent. For my second kid I've just been throwing all our clothes in together and using our usual Lidl detergent and there's no problems whatsoever. The washing machines will rinse out any detergents that the other tenants are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

There's generally an 'extra rinse' option if you're concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's a bit like the dettol hand pump :D .. you'll be washing the clothes so everything will be clean when it's done.. just use a non-bio for baby clothes, they've very sensitive skin.. like Eibhlinn2011 my first had her clothes washed separately ... the other 3 everything is put in together.. only things i separate are my husbands football gear and the towels. . ;)

Advertisement