Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into 4th year Science

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering. I understand you have to get over a 2.48 GPA to get into 4th year science or else you're left with a pass degree. If I fail one module (like an F, not compensated) in 3rd year but still get over a 2.48 GPA at the end of the year, will you be allowed into 4th year? Can you repeat that one module in 4th year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Hey, I'm just wondering. I understand you have to get over a 2.48 GPA to get into 4th year science or else you're left with a pass degree. If I fail one module (like an F, not compensated) in 3rd year but still get over a 2.48 GPA at the end of the year, will you be allowed into 4th year? Can you repeat that one module in 4th year?

Yes. You can fail as many as you like and still get into 4th year, as long as your gpa is over 2.48.

Saying that, you technically need to pass at least 10 modules out of 12 to go into the next year. But you're ALLOWED into 4th year under any circumstances as long as you've over 2.48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Yes. You can fail as many as you like and still get into 4th year, as long as your gpa is over 2.48.

Saying that, you technically need to pass at least 10 modules out of 12 to go into the next year. But you're ALLOWED into 4th year under any circumstances as long as you've over 2.48.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Or you could just not fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Ruski wrote: »
    Or you could just not fail?

Yeah but like whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

is that GPA of 2.48 an average of the previous 3 years or just 3rd year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

If you're struggling that badly in 3rd year and you're taking a biomed related subject (Pharm, Biochem, Genetics, Physiology etc.) then you'll be up against it in 4th year.

It's a whole different ball game and much more focussed on self-directed learning and project work than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CarrieCupcake

2.48 GPA for just third year, not an average. You haven’t mentioned what subject you are doing but if you've done continuous assessment, then a decent stab at the exam should scrape a pass in most modules. you still have pleaty of time to study.

Also to the previous poster, fourth year is totally different but you’re not necessarily going to struggle if third year doesn’t go well. The OP hasn’t said why they are concerned, there may be personal circumstances at play here.
    If you want to do it and are prepared to work hard, and brush up on anything you missed, you can do well even after a bad third year.

Advertisement