Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of the East 2012

• 05-03-2012 11:06pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Entries opening on March 15th apparently.

Is it as hilly as I've been led to believe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Entries opening on March 15th apparently.

Yes, but they are just little hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Abhainn wrote: »
    and there is always one after the one you are climbing..
    Did this race few years ago, anf found it tough, thought the BBQ at the end was worth it.
    Don't they sale this race as being one of or the thoughest olympic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That go on and on.

The climb from Lough Dan to Roundwood is the worst. Its at the start of the bike and run, and of course the last climb on the bike, thats nasty tough too. The descents are fun.

It's flatish between the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The water is flat :D

2 killer hills on the bike and one on the run.

One of the best organised and friendliest races on the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Insect repellent is a must for this race. Got eaten alive setting up transition last year.

Tough hill out of T1 alright, but its over before you know it. The hill at 30k ish is a little longer, but its only the start of it thats very tough, it gets easier!

And what goes up must come down. The last 2km of the run you can just cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Is there any website i can have a look at this on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

jeawan wrote: »
    Is there any website i can have a look at this on ?

Try this

http://www.thebeastoftheeast.ie/

Edit: its taken me over an hour to realise I was beaten to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're like Dpop and that lot though. Thinking mountains are just little blips on the road.
    That go on and on.

The climb from Lough Dan to Roundwood is the worst. Its at the start of the bike and run, and of course the last climb on the bike, thats nasty tough too. The descents are fun.

It's flatish between the hills.

Sounds awesome. :cool:

Looks like I need to get out of Kildare and into Wicklow for long spins if I'm thinking of doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

This race is probably one of the most enjoyable IMO.

Swim is very nice calm dark but clean lake.
    Bike is hard, then fine, then v hard, fine, hard then easy :)
    The last hill is a heartbreaker but you can only laugh.
    Slightly short also think 38.5km.

Run starts with 2k climb then flat to downhill thereafter.

Very enjoyable race, kicks the crap out of Hell of the West and the prizes are prob the best any race has to offer - lots of spot prizes etc.

I take in about 50% of the bike course on my long weekly spin when out that way. None of the killer hills but the rest of the rolling which is a nice route I think.

Highly recommend this race, and highly recommend practising it before :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great event - well run, tough but scenic course and limited entry field.

Think I used the triple chain ring, first year out:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

The run isn't flat after the first 2 km. It gradually rises all the way to the turnaround, then there is a significant downhill part towards Roundwood (after the left at the fork in the road), after which you turn again and slowly climb back up before turning left and cruising downhill back to transition.

Toughest Olympic race I've done (that includes the HOTW).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Gonna do this. Does it sell out fast? Will be able to incorporate the course into my commute to work 1 or 2 days a week so a hilly bike & run will suit me.

Is lough dan safe for swimming in normally (solo) e.g on a summers evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Gonna do this. Does it sell out fast? Will be able to incorporate the course into my commute to work 1 or 2 days a week so a hilly bike & run will suit me.

Is lough dan safe for swimming in normally (solo) e.g on a summers evening.

I did a practice brick on the course last year and had hoped to get a swim in also.
    Didn't end up happening though as the area was being used by Scout teams at the time - they camp there and the likes.
    I did hear of a few folks getting some practice swims in there though so may be an option again. just depends on timing I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

It's really hilly! This was my first triathlon. Nearly killed me!

Swim is a deep water start. i.e. you gingerly step into the water and try not to cut your feet on the stones. You tread water for a couple of minutes and then the gun goes. Not being a great swimmer I started at the back of the men's start. Ladies started five minutes after us so after 15 minutes I was being overtaken by the ladies. At least I knew I was going the right way. I would have loved to see a Garmin track of my path. I was zig-zagging everywhere.

Not being great on the bike I found the hills tough.
    Thinking I was great at running in hills I was looking forward to overtaking a few people on the run. I was reduced to walking/shuffling up the first hill. Very tough!

For me it was very tough but really well organised and very enjoyable. It comes highly recommended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Great race, really well organized and one of the harder races I've done. Nice swim (but cold!), hills everywhere and the road surface is crap in lots of places for the bike, and some of the steep hills are a bit dodgy descending on, so you'd want to have ok bike skills or take it easy, and then a nice run to finish it off with a good hill in it. Nice setup post-race, and fairly convenient to get to too. I'd say its pretty miserable if the weather isn't turned on for the day.

Entered :D:cool:

Entered :D:cool:

+2 (Couple of years of marshalling & helping out and now get to race :D)

Entered for this. Better start swimming again.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Entered also....but no t-shirt this year? WTF :D

• Advertisement

I'm in. Tennerbets I come back on here flogging my entry sometime in June. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Entered also....but no t-shirt this year? WTF :D

Agree, surely my €55 should get me a T Shirt to remember the event by. This will be my 2nd Tri as I did the Hell of the west last year so i thought it would be good to do the east coast's equivalent. How does it compare? Easier? Harder? Looking forward to it, hopefully i'll train a bit more this time

Harder!!

Lake swim is much colder than the sea. Bike is hilly, up and down as is the run.

But the sense of achievement will be worth all the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Harder!!

Lake swim is much colder than the sea. Bike is hilly, up and down as is the run.

But the sense of achievement will be worth all the pain.

Ouch!!!!! Was hoping for a different answer coz HOTW last year was very windy and choppy sea swim was v tough. and bike is 6.5k longer in HOTW. Also cycle and run seemed very hilly to me in HOTW.

Now i'm really wondering what the beast has in store for me, cheers.

Was up in Roundwood today. I really hope I don't have to go up the hill I came down today... :eek:

Plan is to get out and attempt some of this bike route tomorrow*. Can anyone remember what that out and back part going towards Rathdrum is like? As in is it worth bothering with or would I be better of tackling the end of the bike course? was going to do the loop from lough dan to laragh and back to lough dan as I figured thats the part I probably want to prepare myself for anyway... :pac:

Trying to plan the best attack of this so I can get out, do about half the course and get home without doing 150k. :)

*Hopefully anyway, I might get lost

Plan is to get out and attempt some of this bike route tomorrow*. Can anyone remember what that out and back part going towards Rathdrum is like? As in is it worth bothering with or would I be better of tackling the end of the bike course? was going to do the loop from lough dan to laragh and back to lough dan as I figured thats the part I probably want to prepare myself for anyway... :pac:

Skip the out n back bit after laragh. The hardest part is the laragh back to lough San bit which is very hilly and quite a rough road.

The dog leg is flat enough, but a little slow. Road surface was abysmal last year. But the real meat of the course is out of lough dan and back in from laragh.

Advertisement