Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlockables Rant!!

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Well lads im back for another one of a good rant i need to get out , so lets begin shall we :D
    Ok i dunno if its im getting older of what but im really sick of stuff from games when ya cant progress unless to collect a certain amount of items out of 100 or like in assassin creed do something in a certain way or you wont get full sync. What brought this up im currently playing through mario 3d land and i was enjoying it to an extent till world 5 which i cannot complete till i collect 50 stars :mad: why ? Just let me progress , maybe i dont want to collect 50 stars and replay levels , nintendo did the same thing with galaxy 2 and 1 ( i think ) kills the flow of the game for me and drives me mad , could tolerate it few years ago but now drives me mad.
    Also when playing online in the likes of battlefield or cod or whatever , just give me the weapons i want without having to invest 100s of hours just to get a decent gun or what..
    I dont see why they wont just add a option in games that do you want to unlock on or off instead of forcing it on people.
    Even online those who want to unlocks option on or off should be giving that choice , people work , go to school , or whatever dont want to or cant invest loads in a game without someone who can to be giving an edge

Anyways am i the only one who thinks this , like to hear your opinions :D

Feels good getting that off my chest :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nintendo seems to have a crippling fear of innovation that doesn't involve waggling an infra red sensing dildo at the screen. Japan, eh?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Well, regarding the blocked progression, it's to artificially inflate the time it takes to complete the game. Try playing Skyward Sword... Chock full of filler.

Regarding why they don't just let you play with all the weapons, that wouldn't be fair on the other players would it? If you don't like that style, and I can understand where your coming from, Quake Live is quite popular, or Unreal Tournament, or anything retro styled really.

I do agree with you that some of us have adult lives and can't compete with 15 year olds that do nothing play the game they are destroying you at, and I find it very very frustrating too... Maybe you should try and set up games with other likeminded people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Andy!! wrote: »
    Well, regarding the blocked progression, it's to artificially inflate the time it takes to complete the game. Try playing Skyward Sword... Chock full of filler.

Regarding why they don't just let you play with all the weapons, that wouldn't be fair on the other players would it? If you don't like that style, and I can understand where your coming from, Quake Live is quite popular, or Unreal Tournament, or anything retro styled really.

I do agree with you that some of us have adult lives and can't compete with 15 year olds that do nothing play the game they are destroying you at, and I find it very very frustrating too... Maybe you should try and set up games with other likeminded people :)

Could they however have an option enabled and when it is you be paired up with other people who have it enabled, there has to be an option some way they can address it , i love to stick in unreal tournament 3 but hardly anyone plays it :pac::pac:

Believe me I agree with you, I think it's a style of FPS they should definitely bring back. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for the next Unreal installment, they are showing the Unreal 4 engine to select developers at GDC this week so I assume that will be the first title they are releasing using it. Taking a break from Gears and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sweet!!! New Unreal engine should be amazing ... Cant wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Haha brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What brought this up im currently playing through mario 3d land and i was enjoying it to an extent till world 5 which i cannot complete till i collect 50 stars :mad: why ? Just let me progress , maybe i dont want to collect 50 stars and replay levels , nintendo did the same thing with galaxy 2 and 1 ( i think ) kills the flow of the game for me and drives me mad , could tolerate it few years ago but now drives me mad.

Have absolutely no problem with the way Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 handled this. Every star or whatever it was you had to collect meant you were presented with a new challenge and a new level to complete. If you didn't get all of them you were missing out on a massive amount of unique content. I'm pretty sure it's the same in Mario Land 3D that if you aren't going to collect every star you are actually missing out on a massive chunk of the game, just like with Mario 64

What gets my goat are collectible challenges that have you repeat the same crap over and over that's never changing and gains you nothing but an achievement. At least with nintendos games, going for that extra star is basically getting a whole new level to play or finding a unique way to approach an existing level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm completely fed up with having to unlock weapons in Battlefield 3. I'm pretty average at the game, but at 50 hrs playtime I still don't have access to about half the weapons - let alone all the attachments, class unlocks, vehicle perks and soldier specializations.

I'm probably not going to play much more of the game. It's a shame that I didn't get to experience all the weapons - one of them might have really clicked with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Well lads im back for another one of a good rant i need to get out , so lets begin shall we :D
    Ok i dunno if its im getting older of what but im really sick of stuff from games when ya cant progress unless to collect a certain amount of items out of 100 or like in assassin creed do something in a certain way or you wont get full sync. What brought this up im currently playing through mario 3d land and i was enjoying it to an extent till world 5 which i cannot complete till i collect 50 stars :mad: why ? Just let me progress , maybe i dont want to collect 50 stars and replay levels , nintendo did the same thing with galaxy 2 and 1 ( i think ) kills the flow of the game for me and drives me mad , could tolerate it few years ago but now drives me mad.
    Also when playing online in the likes of battlefield or cod or whatever , just give me the weapons i want without having to invest 100s of hours just to get a decent gun or what..
    I dont see why they wont just add a option in games that do you want to unlock on or off instead of forcing it on people.
    Even online those who want to unlocks option on or off should be giving that choice , people work , go to school , or whatever dont want to or cant invest loads in a game without someone who can to be giving an edge

Anyways am i the only one who thinks this , like to hear your opinions :D

Feels good getting that off my chest :pac:

Sorry, small aside, but with regards to Assassin's Creed, you can progress fine without full sync on a mission. I know you where just casually making examples, but I have fanboy problems. >_<

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought the flow of content in 3d Land was excellent myself. OCD kicked in big time and getting the star medals became the main goal - sorry princess p. The requirements were fair - until special worlds seven and eight I was usually forty or so coins ahead of the requirements. And since they unlocked content they were far from fluff.

First game I've one hundred percented in a while!

Fnz wrote: »
    I'm completely fed up with having to unlock weapons in Battlefield 3. I'm pretty average at the game, but at 50 hrs playtime I still don't have access to about half the weapons - let alone all the attachments, class unlocks, vehicle perks and soldier specializations.

I'm probably not going to play much more of the game. It's a shame that I didn't get to experience all the weapons - one of them might have really clicked with me.

Yeah unlocking is very frustrating in BF3, I prefer the COD way, its much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Assassin's Creed - Full sync is only for those who want to get missions right. I think introducing it (in Brotherhood I believe) was the right decision. It allowed them to have their casual progression while giving hardcore players a carrot/harder objectives.

Advertisement