Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to this smartphone business!!

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hey ive never had a smartphone or even an ipod so i dont know which one to get... moneys not a problem as the phone will be an upgrade.

Im going to college so I'd want really good wifi. Id also like it to double up as an ipod, have a camera of minimum 8mp, really good for internet and social networking, good for watching t.v or movies from the internet, and anything else that would come in handy for college!

What phone do ye think would be best! my mam has a nokia n8 and quite frankly i despise it,. Its a hideous phone and i think its awful user-unfiendly. Its my idea of a nightmare! I done that carphone warehouse search but didnt find it much good. I dont play games on the phone! I also have a windows 7 laptop if that has any relevance to phone choice what so ever.

Thanks for everyon's help,,,
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2. Personally I have an iPhone 4 and it does everything you want very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you post more why you don't like the N8 it might help. Is it pre or post belle?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I think its pre bell! I just find it unattactive to look at, bulky, Complicated to use (even functions such as saving a number from a text message is overtly akward). I hate the menu layout, and find the phone slow sometimes. Genrally I just dont like it. Now my friend has an iphone and that looks user friendly, attractive, nice menu layout etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

tacofries wrote: »
    I think its pre bell! I just find it unattactive to look at, bulky, Complicated to use (even functions such as saving a number from a text message is overtly akward). I hate the menu layout, and find the phone slow sometimes. Genrally I just dont like it. Now my friend has an iphone and that looks user friendly, attractive, nice menu layout etc.!

You/ her should consider updating it to belle. To save a contact you long press the number and click save to contacts.

Have you looked at the iPhone camera, is it good enough for what you want?

i've never actually seen a picture taken by it but 8mp sounds good! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭kirving

With a text, containing only a phone number,

On Belle, it's goes:

1. "Open" Message
    2. Click individual message in conversation view
    3. Hold down the number you want to save (highlighted in blue)
    4. "Save to Contacts"
    5. "Create New/Update Exisiting"

On a Galaxy S2, it goes:

1. Open Message
    2. Click individual message in conversation view(phone number gets highlighted, menu pops up)
    3. Click phone number to copy it to dialpad.
    4. Menu button
    5. Add to contacts
    6. "Create New/Update Exisiting"

If there's a quicker way to do it on the GS2, let me know. I'm just making the point that there's nothing wrong with the N8. The menu layout on Belle, and even Anna changed for the better. I suspect the phone is still on Symbian^3 original.

The N8 camera is still one of the best around, if not the best, but I couldn't replace my 5 year old Canon Ixus 850IS with it. The N8 comes close, but a real camera will kick it's ass 90% of the time. As the saying goes though, the best camera is one you have with you, and it really does a great job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Take a look at Windows phones as well. IMHO it's the nicest looking and nicest to use smartphone OS going. The only downside is that it wouldn't have quite as many apps as iOS/Android.

The Nokia 800 seems to be one of the best ones at the moment, though a bigger one like the HTC Titan might suite better if you want to watch films or do college work on it.

Speaking of college work, it comes with Office so you can view/edit Word/Excel documents etc, and it also has OneNote which is a fantastic note taking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hey ive never had a smartphone or even an ipod so i dont know which one to get... moneys not a problem as the phone will be an upgrade.
    :)

Dont just look at upgrade options. You might be better off switching networks for the best deal.

What network are you with?

im with vodafone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement