Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for Dublin

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

Dublin City Council has agreed a plan to provide free Wi-Fi in up to ten outdoor locations around the capital. It would be open to everyone but aimed particularly at tourists and also be available at events such as the Tall Ships Event. The plan, which was unanimously agreed by councillors, could be in operation this summer.
    and
    A €4m upgrade of Dublin's Grafton Street is planned to start early next year. This evening's monthly meeting heard that the current paving for the pedestrianised street was laid in the 1980s and now has to be repaired daily. The work would take about a year to complete and be phased so disruption is minimised.

I think both of those will make Dublin look a lot better to tourists - they're not amazing or ground-breaking but every little improvement helps. Combined with the Tall Ships and Bavaria Street Racing, it looks like it's going to be a good year :)

--
    Mandatory Sean Sherlock links: rte.ie and rte.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Hopefully they'll follow it up with fixing up Westmoreland and D'Olier street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

And half of O'Connell street.

Where will the free wi-fi be? Knowing the ineptitude that exists in this country, they'll probably only make it available going through the Liffey and Leinster house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

A few seats wouldn't go amiss while they're at it. Excluding the boardwalk there are feck all spots for people to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That red brick has had it's day, it's a bit UK outdoor moll looking! Nice to see something a bit more mature and classy going in. The granite looks great in the rain too, thank fook it's going to tender and DCC aren't giving it a bash themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mmm, I don't think Grafton Street will be nice in the grey, red suits it if that makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

We are so far behind its laughable. I was in south America 4 years ago and most big towns had free public wi-fi back then. Better late than never I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

dan1895 wrote: »
    We are so far behind its laughable. I was in south America 4 years ago and most big towns had free public wi-fi back then. Better late than never I suppose.

I don't agree. I travelled around the world in summer 2010 (Singapore, Australia, America) and the only place, aside from McDonalds, that I got free wifi was Seattle airport. I'm sure things have improved since then but I wouldn't say we are very far behind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't agree. I travelled around the world in summer 2010 (Singapore, Australia, America) and the only place, aside from McDonalds, that I got free wifi was Seattle airport. I'm sure things have improved since then but I wouldn't say we are very far behind.

True, i was in Australia the same year as south America and there wasn't much wi-fi around but plenty of internet cafes. South East Asia had lots of free wi-fi but mainly in bars, cafes, restaurants etc as a way of drumming up business. I know some Irish places do the same but maybe sure look at it and advertise it clearly as a way of getting a couple of extra punters through the doors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I posted this a few weeks ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77232044

Ive seen the map with the trial locations.

Some include :

The Spire and Surrounds.
    Near the IFSC at the Campshires.

Cant remember the rest, will dig it out tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

dan1895 wrote: »

The council wanted to bring in free wifi a few years ago but we blocked by a court challenge by wifi providers who argued that it was rendered their service obsolete and was uncompetitive as the council were not looking to make a profit.

Unfortunately but understandably, they won, otherwise there would be free wifi between the two canals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

reprazant wrote: »
    The council wanted to bring in free wifi a few years ago but we blocked by a court challenge by wifi providers who argued that it was rendered their service obsolete and was uncompetitive as the council were not looking to make a profit.

Unfortunately but understandably, they won, otherwise there would be free wifi between the two canals.

+1
    In 2006 Dublin City Council spent 12 months working on a much more ambitious proposal for the provision of a citywide Wi-Fi service. With internet access far less widely available just a few years ago, the provision of free coverage at a cost of between €12 million and €20 million, was seen as a way of bridging the “digital divide” and bringing the benefits of the internet to socially deprived areas of the city.

The suburbs of Ballymun and Ballyfermot were identified as the initial locations, and the council was close to appointing a commercial partner for the scheme when it was abruptly pulled. An EU ruling in May 2007, which became known as the Prague judgment, found that similar proposals in the Czech capital distorted competition and amounted to unfair state aid. The council scaled back and instead promised to make wireless internet access available in its own properties that are open to the public, such as libraries and City Hall.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is WI-FI and there is Wi-fi and there is wi-fi ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what about Wi-fi and wi-Fi and wI-fi and wi-fI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So this grafton street renovation.....will anything else become of it or is it simply going to be 4 million spent solly on new pavements?:eek:Hopefully with that amount of money being pent, shop fronts will be fixed up,buildings repainted and made fresh,new seating,lighting,greenery and some nice statues.:)

Advertisement