Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk Dialling - Ever Done It?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:07am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Drunk dialling is the phenomenon whereby, in an inebriated state, you decide that now is a great time to phone up your ex, an old friend that you haven't seen in years, someone with whom you had a falling out with, etc etc. - it can really be anyone, but often it comes during a night of drinking alone and being lonely and morose and wanting to "reach out.":o:D

I have to admit that I've done this a couple of times. Very embarrassing but thankfully the people I drunkenly dialled thought that I was pretty sober sounding over the phone. Sometimes the people you call when plastered are those whom you wouldn't have the courage to phone up sober.:eek:

So AHers - who has drunkenly dialled? Or have you been the recipient of these calls?:pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mel Gibson always calls me when he's drunk. Some pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I did once call the brother of a friend (who I'd never met) looking for coke. I then ended up calling one of his friends (who I'd never met) for coke.

In the end I got no coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

3 am calling a girl for my rock and roll sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had an argument with the talking clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

No drunken dialling but I messed up my chances with the sister of an ex many years ago with drunken texting. And if that's wrong I don't wanna be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, less so now but I used to be really bad for it.

I remember ringing this girl once because I was bored/drunk.
    Put on a very bad Indian accent and went
    "HALLLOOOO, DIS ISH MOHAMMAD, HOWAREYOO TODAY" she hung up.
    Rang her back, still with accent, and said "WHY DID YOU HANG UP ON ME?!"
    She said "Tom, you've forgot to hide your number you twat" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah Ive done it. It never ceases to amaze me how much alcohol can make you do things that are odd and out of character.
    When I play online MP games normally, I rarely speak to anyway unless Im playing with friends. Last week I entered a game while drunk and proceeded to talk and abuse people so much that I got kicked......!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Yeah but i hope it wasnt too big a deal. Heard a funny one. A girl was begging her best friend (also a girl) to have her child.. ?? Bit funny to be sober and to have to say yes 'ruth' i'll have your child..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

brummytom wrote: »
    Yeah, less so now but I used to be really bad for it.

I remember ringing this girl once because I was bored/drunk.
    Put on a very bad Indian accent and went
    "HALLLOOOO, DIS ISH MOHAMMAD, HOWAREYOO TODAY" she hung up.
    Rang her back, still with accent, and said "WHY DID YOU HANG UP ON ME?!"
    She said "Tom, you've forgot to hide your number you twat" :o

Should've replied "JIHAD ON YOU!!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Apparently drunken dialling is much more common that might be supposed.

The late American writer Kurt Vonnegut was apparently big into phoning up friends and acquaintances when bladdered.

There is even a mobile phone that will breathalyse the user and will not permit them to make a phone call unless sober.:pac:

I've made a couple of expensive long-distance drunken phone calls.:eek::(

• Advertisement

I work in tech support and one of our support numbers is one (middle) digit out from a Dublin hotel, it's not unusual (Tom Jones) to get some drunken late night call asking to be put through to room #.

Replace that four with a one and you might get the hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Called my brother at 2am After a Dublin game to tell him a brilliant story I remembered from our youth. Then I passed the phone around to everyone in the pub to say hi.

He lives in Cape Town.

€98.23 well spent.

/cries

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

When I first moved to London I had an awful habit of ringing my mother pissed.
    I'd head out for beers on a sunday with the lads and usually ended up in some Irish pub in Holloway. Sometime about nine-ish, after a skinful of lager and some dodgy trad song about a place nowhere near where I'm from, I'd get a dose of homesickness and decide to talk to mammy.
    Being pre-mobile phone days I'd end up slumped inside a call box, feeding in coins and generally talking ****e.
    I don't think I talked to the poor woman sober for 2 years

I can only imagine her pride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Drunk texting is the worst. Looking at your sent messages the next morning:o:o On occasion I have sent messages to people on Facebook while drunk too:(

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Drunk texting is the worst. Looking at your sent messages the next morning:o:o On occasion I have sent messages to people on Facebook while drunk too:(

You know when you're really pissed when the spell checker really hasn't a clue what to suggest!

You know when you're really pissed when the spell checker really hasn't a clue what to suggest!

I've started giving my phone to one of my friends when I go out:o

A few weeks ago I rang about 10 people in my phonebook and left voicemails singing Lionel Ritchie's Hello...why oh why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Rang The Samaritans once in an inebriated state :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

What an arsehat you'd have to be to drunk dial someone late at night, they probably are either having a good time or sleeping they don't want to have you call up just to say you're lonely and ask what's been going on, how's life.. mmm.

Drunk skyping is something a few people I know seem to be more inclined to do, I am not a form of entertainment for your sad night alone with yeeer gargle.
    skype.. texting is alright, I did skype a guy I knew before I was really good friends with him and then realised how much we weren't really friends anymore, text is so much better at masking awkwardness, I wasnt drunk and I dont advocate drunk texting but its better than calls!

saa wrote: »
    What an arsehat you'd have to be to drunk dial someone late at night, they probably are either having a good time or sleeping they don't want to have you call up just to say you're lonely and ask what's been going on, how's life.. mmm.

Drunk skyping is something a few people I know seem to be more inclined to do, I am not a form of entertainment for your sad night alone with yeeer gargle.
    skype.. texting is alright, I did skype a guy I knew before I was really good friends with him and then realised how much we weren't really friends anymore, text is so much better at masking awkwardness, I wasnt drunk and I dont advocate drunk texting but its better than calls!

When you're drunk everything is a great idea:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

ziggy23 wrote: »
    When you're drunk everything is a great idea:eek:

I call it vodka clarity. Long may it last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

ringing sex lines while drunk = Big phone bill:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

The overwhelming sense of shame and regret I felt when I seen this thread was something I could have done without.

Thanks OP :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Ugh optical express rang me one evening i was in the pub to confirm an appointment :( kept the poor guy on the phone for over half an hour and handed the phone to my friend to say hello and hear his Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Oh and my mam texted me when i was 15 and drinking in a park (one summers day) and she signed her message off with "ciao" which i thought was gibberish so replied (to my recovering alcoholic mother) "it's ok mam, Im drunk too!"

I had an argument with my then boyfriend a few years ago while we were out. Then went home with my mates to report him missing. I got a right bollicking from the guards the next day when they knocked at the door and I had to tell them he wasn't missing:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I got a call at 4am recently from a mate who I played in a band with in school, he told me he'd secured a record deal for us that night with some German guy he met at a bar and we'd be flying out to Berlin to record. I didn't bring up the fact that we hadn't played in years or had ever wrote original material together as he seemed genuinely over the moon about it and I didn't want to ruin his fantasy. Needless to say this deal never materialized.:D

With myself I don't tend to ring people but I do go on facebook and start posting things on people walls. I always get a tinge of apprehension the next morning when I log in and survey the damage done from the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Two come to mind

Last August my friend was leaving for OZ and we had a going away party out in the middle of nowhere- so we all got drunk and she pulled out the guitar- and the tears came etc- so all emotional i went outside to text my sister because in my state i had decided she needed to know that i loved her (ha)

But i had no coverage and there was no lights so i ended up texting her sitting on a fence and she showed me the next the next day and THE SHAME!

Big long message about how much i loved her and then i named everyone i love which took about 4 pages- then informed her i was sitting on a fence in the bog to text her because thats how much i love her

Ohhhh:(

Another (And same sister lol) was when i was out and id heard someone i knew died- i called my sister crying saying i loved her and i dont know what id do if she died- i was told it was 1am and to get the hell off the phone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,885 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When I was 16 I had the gaff to myself for the weekend on Paddys day, the parents were in Dublin. So, I went down to the local, and got severely pissed on all manner of things, but which mostly revolved around Kahlua.

Several things happened, among drunk dialing:

-I fell on the back patio and bruised/fractured(hard to tell now) my sternum. Hurt like hell for a good while.
    -I had bandaged my thumb with an entire first aid kit. And I mean an entire first aid kit. There were more bandages on my hand than one would ever need in life.
    -I had left blood all over the front and the back door
    -I had lost my wallet, and my hard-earned United States boating license
    -Called one of my stepbrothers friends and gotten into an argument with him
    -Called my dad at 3 am on the other side of the country to talk me into getting into the house, in which I lied and said I had "19 cans of Bulmers and Stella" instead of admitting to liquor. ????
    -Uhm, yeah.

Sooo, I learned not to get blackout drunk anymore. First phonecall the next morning was an angry bald man explaining to me what happened last night as he drove 5 hours straight back from Dublin, fuming.

And THEN they came home and found the blood on the front door. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I used my friends phone once to text my girlfriend some fairly explicit stuff.

Turns out she had the same first name as a friend of my friends who was a middle aged woman.

:o

I texted a girl I hardly knew once some fairly embarrassing stuff as well while after consuming copious amounts of a variety of alcoholic beverages.

I was mortified the next day when I woke up.

Advertisement