Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift tax & stamp duty for site

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right forum but hopefully someone can help - I've been given a gift of a site from my aunt. We're now in the process of doing the paperwork & will be getting a valuation done. What needs to be paid to Revenue? Is it 2% stamp duty and then gift tax on top of that? or just the stamp duty? I'm a bit confused at the moment, I talked to Revenue previously and they said gift tax but I talked to the solicitor today and she said stamp duty not gift tax. Is it one or the other or is it both?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is one for the Accommodation & Property guys so I'll nudge it over there for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 0utandAbout

muffler wrote: »
    This is one for the Accommodation & Property guys so I'll nudge it over there for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I would assume you would be liable for CAT. Although there are thresholds for which you will not have to pay tax. In your case if the site is worth less that €16,604 you won't have to pay CAT:

[HTML]http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html[/HTML]

I am not sure about the stamp duty though :) I was only researching CAT recently for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If less than the €16,000, you just pay stamp duty.

If more than €16,000 you pay stamp duty + CAT.

The valuation needs to be independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

The threshold is not €16k, it's actually €33,500 (Group B Threshold for a Nephew or Niece receiving a gift). So once the valuation on the site comes in below this level you will have no CAT to pay and will just have some level of stamp duty which your solicitor will be able to work out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

killers1 wrote: »
    The threshold is not €16k, it's actually €33,500 (Group B Threshold for a Nephew or Niece receiving a gift). So once the valuation on the site comes in below this level you will have no CAT to pay and will just have some level of stamp duty which your solicitor will be able to work out for you.
    Weren't the thresholds changed in the last 2-3 years?

Victor wrote: »
    Weren't the thresholds changed in the last 2-3 years?

They were, but the figures I gave are the most recent ones... Finance Bill on 8th Feb 2012 plans that Group B Threshold (which applies here) be rounded up to €33,500. See link below..

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

Thanks guys
    As its gift from Aunt to niece the threshold does seem to be 33k and I think there's also 3k per year that is exempt.
    I thought we were sorted as the land was purchased recently for 15k as agricultural land....worried now that if we do an independent valuation it'll be worth more than that as its now a site we'd be hoping to build on.....guess we'll see what comes of the valuation!
    Thanks for the advice as always :-)

Thanks guys
    As its gift from Aunt to niece the threshold does seem to be 33k and I think there's also 3k per year that is exempt.
    I thought we were sorted as the land was purchased recently for 15k as agricultural land....worried now that if we do an independent valuation it'll be worth more than that as its now a site we'd be hoping to build on.....guess we'll see what comes of the valuation!

Tell the Valuer that the land was purchased recently for €15k and tell them you need it to come in under the CAT threshold! You won't have an issue...

killers1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys

Tell the Valuer that the land was purchased recently for €15k and tell them you need it to come in under the CAT threshold! You won't have an issue...

Wise words ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Thanks guys

Hi,
    How did all of this pan out for you? Am going down the same route now and would like to get some other peoples experiences

Advertisement