Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about visas

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey all, quick question. I applied for the Holiday Visa last night and got an email this morning saying I had been granted it but now I think it would be better for me to get the Working Holiday Visa because I might want to stay for 4 months and well work too. So can I apply for the WHV now or not? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Judging by your usename I'm guessing you're 22/23, in that case unless you plan on going for 4 months to work on a farm doing your regional it'd be a huge waste to waste your WHV no a 4 month holiday. If you go for 4 months and don't complete 3 months regional you can't ever get a visa like that again. So 5 years from now if Ireland has plumetted even further you'll have a very difficult time attempting to come out here.

I know some people on this site constantly insist that a WHV is just for a holiday but realistically the majority of Irish I've met over here that have stayed have started on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

To answer your question: Yes you can, when you arrive in Aus your WHV will be activated ... but as above said a bit of a waste if you only want to be here 4 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

Okay thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Eoghan_2 wrote: »

I know some people on this site constantly insist that a WHV is just for a holiday but realistically the majority of Irish I've met over here that have stayed have started on one.

As one of those people who stayed myself .....they either qualified for another visa (sponsored, PR, de-facto etc) or simply overstayed. Up until you qualify for another visa a WHV is exactly what it says on the tin a Working holiday visa and it only has a life of 12 months (+12 for the 2nd WHV).

It's only really a visitors visa in the visitors category just under the Tourist visa.

You cant live or emigrate on a WHV.... thats only Joe Duffy talk, if you don't qualify for another visa and the WHV runs out its basically holiday over and fuckofski.

Of course you can always pretend that a WHV is something else, no harm in that as the only one you are kidding is yourself.

Advertisement