Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete newbie and lost!

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Well where to begin?!! I'm looking for some help..I've been a smoker for the last 16-17 years and seriously considering taking up vaping..

I used to smoke 20 odd marlboro lights before i switched to amber leaf last year as the cost was doing my nut in.

So can some one recommend a starter kit that wont be too fiddly for a complete beginer who hasnt a clue and doent understand all the terminology used on the forum please.

I'm sure there are many of these threads so I hope I'm not pissing any one off.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Hi,
    Wellcome. Recominding a starter kit? I started with an automatic 510. Automatic means that when you pull on it it fires like a cig, 510 is just a standard thread measure but it's used to describe the small cig sized batterys.
    I quickly found the small batts didn't last long enough and moved to an eGo kit. Thees have a button you press to fire, you quickly get used to it. The big difference is the battery size. The eGo has larger batts and lasts longer (650 mAh lasts about 4 to 6 hours depends on usage) same thread size so all my old atomizers still fit. Atomizers are fiddly, they don't hold any juice and the carts that come with them hold about 10 drops, you can find yourself constantly topping up.
    I switched to cartomizers, a combined atomizer and cart that holds about 1.5 ml of juice, not as much topping up. The down side is they are semi disposable and last 2 to 3 days, more accurately 6 to 8 ml. They are cheap though 1.50 each so it's not a biggie.
    My advise is look at the irish sites listed in the where to buy thread and get any eGo kit a box of cartomizers and some juices. What flavor to recommend? Try the ry4 or tobacco, taste is not like a cigarette, more like the smell of a cig but it's nicer, after a while you find the taste of cigs ...distastefull.
    Youre on the amber leaf so 4.60 a day if your a heavy user (I was) hard to match that for savings but once the initial outlay is paid back vapin won't cost more than 2 euro a day, a lot less if you don't chain vape like me.
    Get an 18mg juice, thats the nic amount in the juice, if its too strong get a lower nic but if the cravings are still their go higher 24mg until your past them.
    Good luck with it and give it a try 65 euro should get you a good start, dont forget the discount codes and Irish sites have next day delivery mostly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there are two main divides within the ecig using community
    atomiser users and cartomiser users

an atomiser is basically your standard heating coil, wick to draw the juice down etc.. and then you have a tank system. a small plastic container you put your juice in, which sits into the atomiser and as you take a drag you pull juice down onto the heating coil which gives vapour. a lot of people swear by the ego-c and the biansi imist. I'm not one of those people so I'll let one of them explain better what they are and why they're good.

cartomisers are the combination of the atomisers and a cartridge in one disposable device. it has the atomiser inside of it and a filler material (fluffy white stuff which soaks up the juice), you pour some of the liquid onto the filler. it soaks it up and then feeds it to the atomisers heating coil as you take a drag. I and many others prefer cartomisers to atomisers because it's just a case of soak up filler with liquid, and away you go.

cartomisers tend to be cheaper than atomisers as they are disposable. 2 euro is generally the price for 1 cartomiser, which should last you a week at least (you could probably push it longer than a week, but at a certain point the performance/flavour starts to decrease and at 2 euro a pop it's easier to just bin them and open a new one)

there's all sorts of things to consider when buying a vaping kit, throat hit (the feeling in the back of your throat that lets you know you're inhaling something), flavour, vapour production. each diff kit will have something going for it and everybody who has a favourite kit will swear blind to you that theirs is the best. as a cartomiser man, I'm about to do just that.

well actually im just going to copy and paste what I wrote in a few other threads, so if I repeat myself that's why.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/clearance/99-dual-core-cartomizers.html

the cartomiser. (youll want to get at least 2 of these) this is the actual vaping device. you drip your liquid onto the filler (it's really easy), it soaks it up and feeds it to the heating coil in the cartomizer. they cost around 2 euro a pop when you buy them individually and they perform well (when they perform well, as with all things e-cig.. it's possible to be unlucky and get a dud that only lasts a couple of days or just underperforms from the get-go. I was a heavy vaper when I used these and I tended to get a week out of them, which at 2 euro a pop is great. Even when I got a dud, at 2 euro a go.. i just tossed them in the bin and didn't think about them, still way cheaper than fags.

others might reccomend a tank system instead of a cartomizer, the lack of filling material to soak up juices in a tank does mean the flavour is a bit better but in general I (and many others) found tanks too unreliable, leaky and too expensive to justify the sadly short life. When tanks work, they work fantastic but iirc they cost about a tenner a go and it just wasnt worth it for me when I could get the dual coil cartomisers for 2 euro each. I was willing to sacrifice a fuller flavour for an overall better vaping experience. The dual coil cartomizers have a hotter vape, so more like a cigarette in that regard and they produce more vapour (although it's so long since i've used tanks, maybe that's not true anymore)

youll want a drip tip too. not 100% neccesary, but you just stick it onto the top of the cartomiser and it saves you having to wrap your lips aroundd the cartomiser itself.. which can get kinda hot after a sustained vaping.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/drip-tips/143-transparent-ribbon-acylic-drip-tips.html
    or
    http://www.irishvapers.ie/drip-tips/142-plastic-drip-tips.html

bugger all difference between the two i'd imagine, just up to you if you want a pure black or a transparent one

http://www.irishvapers.ie/batteries/26-batego.html

the batteries . you can decide for yourself whether you want the 650/900/1000mha. the bigger number means it lasts longer without needing to be charged, be warned though that the 1000mha is pretty damn big. I have 900mha's and I found them to be a good size and they'd last me a day before needing to be charged even though I was using it pretty much all day. youll want 2 batteries, so you're not waiting a couple of hours to vape while one is charging.

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/fast-usb-charger-for-joye-ego/t/c/prod_256.html

usb charger for the battery

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/usb-mains-adapter/prod_28.html

wall plug for the usb charger for the battery

now for the liquids

juice wise i'd reccomend you get a few 10ml bottles, just to test out flavours and see what you liike. better than buying 30 or 50ml of something and deciding you hate it

nice tobacco-ish juices i'd reccomend are wenston/winston, deluxe tobacco, marlboro (usa mix)

with the juices, you wont find one that tastes like a cigarette as it's pretty hard to replicate the taste of ash and burning plant. tobacco flavoured juices are more of.. an idea of tobacco, but they can be pretty nice and satisfying if that's what you're after

http://www.thebestshop.eu/standard-eliquid-pg-/-vg/10ml-eliquid-pg/prod_99.html

or http://www.thevapourstore.ie/e-liquid/cat_15.html

afaik both of these sites have the same kind of liquid, so it's up to you where to order from

strength wise it's hard to say. I would reccomend you get one bottle of 18mg and one of 12mg, just to get an idea for the strength that's best for you. you might find 18 a bit much, or 12 a bit little so it'll all be down to experimentation in the end. itll probably take you a week or two, and maybe a bit of money to find out what's best for you. but it's a case of spending a little bit now, saving a lot in the long run. once you know what works for you, that's pretty much all you have to worry about unless you want to branch out into new flavours/juices in the future.

cant really say how long 10ml of juice will last you either. when i used dual coils, I probably went through about 2ml a day and I was pretty much vaping every 10 minutes I was awake. 10ml oughta easily last you a week, most likely 2.
    id like to not have to tell you to order from 3 different sites, but everyone is out of stock of something so *shrug*

discount cound for irishvapers = boards
    discount code for thevapourstore = ecf10
    discount code for thebestshop = irishvape

pretty sure each of these is 10%

pretty tired atm, so im not going to bother reading over everything i've written. any questions just ask, i probably forgot something anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Thanks a million for all the detailed advice lads.

So would all this get me up and running??

Biansi Imist System (Gunmetal Black)

egoImistgmtlavailable.gif€ 60.00 1

€ 60.00 99-154-small.jpgDual Coil Cartomizers

iv-dualavailable.gif€ 1.50 4

€ 6.00 142-232-small.jpgPlastic Drip Tips

dtplsavailable.gif€ 1.50 2

€ 3.00 117-179-small.jpgB&H

Strenght : 1.1%, Quantity : 5 ml bl-bhavailable.gif€ 3.50 1

€ 3.50

Total products:€ 72.50Total shipping:€ 0.00Total:

yeah if you get the imist, there's no need to get the dual coil cartomisers. I'd still reccomend you get 1 or 2 though, just to try them out alongside the imist so when the eventual war of the vapers comes you'll know which side you'll be fighting with, atomiser or cartomiser.

imist is a good start point as it has less messing around than other ways of vaping. get some extra wicks (5 for €2.50) with the kit as you will need them.

• Advertisement

you dont think fiddling with wicks and pulling wicks up and down to avoid dry hits is too much messing around? :)

you dont think fiddling with wicks and pulling wicks up and down to avoid dry hits is too much messing around? :)

touche but as opposed to overflowing and burning cartos it's a marginal win.

i dont see how you can overfill a carto after your first or second time tbh, you should get a feeling for when it's on the way to being full. then again I tend to do most of my refilling on my desk, so if couple of drops leak out i just wipe them up and forget about it. suppose it'd be a different story if you're out and about.

*shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

A couple of people I know have bought Imists on my recommendation. They were new to vaping and they haven't had any bother.

I'd avoid that particular brand of efluid - all tastes like honey to me, bought some and it was a total waste of money. Get some straight tobbaco or USA mix from The Best Shop, the standard stuff in about 18mg.

Get a 30ml bottle because those little amounts go very quick.

Good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I think it's this sort of "fiddling about" is a major reason why many start vaping but don't continue. For a newbie, I would definitely recommend a battery and a cartomizer - simple as!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

achieve wrote: »
    I think it's this sort of "fiddling about" is a major reason why many start vaping but don't continue. For a newbie, I would definitely recommend a battery and a cartomizer - simple as!

Completely disagree - it's not rocket science.
    It's not that difficult difficult to get your head around an imist

I think cartos were a bigger pain in the arse than anything else when I first started. I would have been more put off by a 510 if I'd started with it - people trying to give up smokes would prefer good throat hit and flavour.

you're not going to get much of either with a 510

yeah but you get both with an ego and a dual coil/boge 2ohm :)

horses for courses but im not sure i'd be arsed getting a toothbrush out every night to keep the imist clean so for someone just off the fags and wanting a "Plug and play" device.. a cartomiser, or an ego-c would be what i'd reccomend. imist probably if they were already "committed" to vaping before they'd bought one but in the early stages, they might be as likely to just say **** this and buy another packet of fags if it's too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, I think the carto's are definitely the way to go for a starter. I'd also recommend the eGo-C above the iMist too. The iMist requires a huge amount of pulling the wick down. When you're familiar with the process it's no big deal but not for a new vaper I don't think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Guy I work with arrived in today, with an eGo-C....I think it was a C anyway.

Tidy looking device, and he seems quite content with it, took a toot on it and i saw quite surprised at the strength of flavour and the vapour production compared to the eGo-T I started with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

eeloe wrote: »
    Guy I work with arrived in today, with an eGo-C....I think it was a C anyway.

Tidy looking device, and he seems quite content with it, took a toot on it and i saw quite surprised at the strength of flavour and the vapour production compared to the eGo-T I started with.

Yeah, it's tidy alright. The atty heads can be whipped out and replaced by a new one keeping the cone. There's not much difference between the C and the iMist but the flavour is better (for me) on the C.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Ego-C is my favourite of anything I've tried. Can't beat if for flavour and maintenance. Joytech have a B version out now which can take the 2ml tanks that fit the old Ego-T Type B and, as far as I know, uses the same atties that the C uses. Vapourzone in the UK have it on their site but not for sale yet.

Advertisement