Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anomoly

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the moon just now. I was using a Bresser refractor, with a 20mm eyepiece. I had a section of the moon filling my view, bisected by the dark/light side!I noticed a "light" on the dark side, not far from the bright side!At first, I thought it was just the lip of a crater catching light, but after watching it for a few seconds, it disappeared!any thoughts?as evidenced by my shoddy use of technical terminology, im a total noob!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

leddpipe wrote: »
    I was looking at the moon just now. I was using a Bresser refractor, with a 20mm eyepiece. I had a section of the moon filling my view, bisected by the dark/light side!I noticed a "light" on the dark side, not far from the bright side!At first, I thought it was just the lip of a crater catching light, but after watching it for a few seconds, it disappeared!any thoughts?as evidenced by my shoddy use of technical terminology, im a total noob!
    Congratulations :D
    You just witnessed a part of the Moon experiencing sunset, nice one.

Edit: Oops. That was wrong. The moon is waxing at the moment, so "our side" is seeing sunrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Congratulations :D
    You just witnessed a part of the Moon experiencing sunset, nice one.

Edit: Oops. That was wrong. The moon is waxing at the moment, so "our side" is seeing sunrise.

thanks for the feedback Cú Giobach.I don't think I described what I saw clearly enough though. It was a single "pin-prick" of light in the dark section of the moon. it was constant, un-flickering, and then just disappeared. the surrounding area remained in darkness.

there was no transitioning from light to dark, it was a light source in the darkness, that just ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

116nxap.jpg

Duff wrote: »
    116nxap.jpg

you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Nah, I duno. Possibly sunlight reflecting off an instrument left by one of the Apollo crews?

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Nah, I duno. Possibly sunlight reflecting off an instrument left by one of the Apollo crews?

I didn't suspect aliens, love that meme though! yeh I know they left instrumentation behind, some of it is still operable! was unusual though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

U reckon you can remember where abouts the light was? Also i wouyld look at the moon in the same conditions with same set up incase stray light is present in your set up somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

They're called "Transient Lunar Phenomena", and they are still unexplained.

http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=277.0

im gobsmacked :eek: !thank you for the feedback!unfortunately not familiar enough with the moon surface to recall its exact location! :confused:

im gobsmacked :eek: !thank you for the feedback!unfortunately not familiar enough with the moon surface to recall its exact location! :confused:
    Here have a read of this.
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2007/23jan_ltps/

• Advertisement

I thought it might have been.
    If it was a meteor then congrats again, you saw the moon get a little bit bigger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Saw a documentary on moon landing conspiracy theories the other day and thought of this thread.
    Some NASA or official observatory scientist explained that the conspiracy theorists never actually approached them to ask about experimental equipment left behind on the moon.
    He explained that the astronauts set up some equipment to leave there for scientists to use from earth. One of these pieces of equipment, was a glorified mirror sort of thing, that they were hoping would reflect a laser signal from Earth to Moon and back again.
    So this man in the observatory explained that they have a computer set up to beam this "laser" or ray, or whatever that is (I think it was laser because I was a bit shocked it all sounded so simple) ever since the moon landing, and every day and many times a day, a ray is beamed to the moon, reflected by the mirror, and gets back to us (I think he said it happens very quickly, can't remember how long though). That has been going on for years.
    They actually showed it happening I think on the program.
    So it's possible there would be a flash of light linked to that experiment ?
    Sorry I can't remember the name of the program, it's recent, only a week or so ago.

edit : found a wikipedia on it ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

With these mirrors(retroreflectors) on the moon,by bouncing lasers off them we discovered that the moon is pulling away 38mm every year.

160px-Goddard_Spaceflight_Center_Laser_Ranging_Facility.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

from that wikipedia there is a link to this (a whole package of stuff they left there for experiments).

And this is the pic of one of the items left on there :
    there are also some pics of whereabouts the package was spread out on the moon, seen from above.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/ALSEP_AS15-86-11591.jpgALSEP_AS15-86-11591.jpg

Advertisement