Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge

• 06-03-2012 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering should Limerick citizens be exempt from paying this household charge. The website says it's for local services. If we are to be honest, the government is ruining our areas with regeneration.

We are NOT getting the services one would normally pay for. I will contact all TD's in the constituency and query them on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

where i live there are no services bar the water, this started life as a group scheme, the cost to all the householders was €700, some years later the council took it over when everything was up and running properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

We should pay it this year though.

Otherwise Mayor Jimbo and his faithful companion, Kiley, won't be able to go to Chineeland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'd have no problem paying any local household charge but my estate is technically still private so why should I, we cant even get potholes filled in by them etc etc, I wont be paying till they right to my house with it addressed and named

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

NO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair play celticcrash for putting so much effort into such an informative, insightful, knowledgeable post, I'm sure your previous 238 posts were just as enlightening.

Edit: Best of luck giving up the smokes, it's never easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

BobMc wrote: »
    I'd have no problem paying any local household charge but my estate is technically still private so why should I, we cant even get potholes filled in by them etc etc, I wont be paying till they right to my house with it addressed and named

Well there are certain estates around the country that are exempt because of lack of services etc.

I think a special case should also be made for the residents od Limerick, whose neighbourhoods have also been affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Estates are only exempt by the category they fall into. Not all unfinished estates are exempt and councils are not taking over estates because they cannot afford to.

It's all a bit strange really. The deadline is the 31st March yet the government don't seem to be making much noise about it even though they know only a small few have registered.

This charge is nothing to do with providing us with services and/or more services. The charge is to ensure we can continue to provide services because the current money is going out the back door to bondholders and the IMF. If the government do not get this €100 they will continue to curtail budgets to councils who in turn will reduce services in the community.

Vicious circle really and if anybody thinks by not paying the €100 it will go away then they are deluded. It will only come back in another disguise like 0.5% higher income tax most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

liammur wrote: »
    I'm wondering should Limerick citizens be exempt from paying this household charge. The website says it's for local services. If we are to be honest, the government is ruining our areas with regeneration.

We are NOT getting the services one would normally pay for. I will contact all TD's in the constituency and query them on this.

Would you oblige us and please amend the title to Household TAX - as that what it is, and as usual it's inequitable, some have to pay some don't have to pay, grrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wait until the water charges and meters come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BobMc wrote: »
    I wont be paying till they right to my house with it addressed and named

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually received the information leaflet on how to pay? I haven't, my parents haven't and none of my friends that I asked have. It was supposed to be delivered to every house in the country by the end of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually received the information leaflet on how to pay? I haven't, my parents haven't and none of my friends that I asked have. It was supposed to be delivered to every house in the country by the end of February.

Nope , received nothing .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

The leaflet came through the letter box last week, a few days after I paid it. If you Google it, you'll find the website is www.householdcharge.ie. I used the website and I have to say it's NOT the most user friendly of sites - badly designed. Check the FAQs on the site for other methods of payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Delphi91 wrote: »
    The leaflet came through the letter box last week, a few days after I paid it. If you Google it, you'll find the website is www.householdcharge.ie. I used the website and I have to say it's NOT the most user friendly of sites - badly designed. Check the FAQs on the site for other methods of payment.

How are people supposed to inform themselves if they don't have access to the internet.

Houses are flooded with literature once an election is called, why cant the same method be used to inform householders of this charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Apparently the company that was meant to deliver the leaflets went into recievership.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/firm-printing-household-charge-information-goes-into-receivership-541548.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I'm not one for protests, but I believe we should make a stand against this one. They are doing nothing for this city apart from regeneration, and I don't think spending €100 for that is good value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Interesting report about the numbers paid in Limerick city.
    Front page of this weekend's Limerick Leader: "ONLY 536 HAVE PAID CHARGE IN CITY. Fewer than two per cent of city people have paid the €100 household charge, figures obtained by the Limerick Leader show."

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=338583619527467&id=317697978282698

How many here in the Limerick forum have paid? / not paid?/ Intending to pay? / Intending not to pay?/ Undecided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It this an information gathering question on behalf of the Irish Government? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've no problem paying a tax to have Clean Water or to take my
    sewage away or paying for things like heating and electricity but
    being charged because I own my own house crosses the line. :mad:

Have not paid, Don't think I should have to pay just because I broke my balls to buy my own home, paying a mortgage for 25 years of my life only to get extras slapped on pisses me off.

People that rent or are housed by the counsel require the same services that people that own the address they live in so I dont think there should be a distinction made between home owners and non home owners.

Looks to me that if you don't pay they will just keep adding a fine to the amount that one would supposedly "owe" if you can bring your self to use the word "owe" the powers that be. I dont see any punishment for people that refuse to pay other than owing more and more and more the longer you leave it.

If there was a threat of sending you to prison for failing to pay, it makes
    you wonder with the current prison system and overcrowding if you would end up going to prison and getting signed in and signed out the same day due to lack of a prison cell. I would happily test out that theory if I was not a firearms owner where if I got a criminal record it might affect me re-newing my firearms licence.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    I've no problem paying a tax to have Clean Water or to take my
    sewage away or paying for things like heating and electricity but
    being charged because I own my own house crosses the line. :mad:

Have not paid, Don't think I should have to pay just because I broke my balls to buy my own home, paying a mortgage for 25 years of my life only to get extras slapped on pisses me off.

People that rent or are housed by the counsel require the same services that people that own the address they live in so I dont think there should be a distinction made between home owners and non home owners.

Looks to me that if you don't pay they will just keep adding a fine to the amount that one would supposedly "owe" if you can bring your self to use the word "owe" the powers that be. I dont see any punishment for people that refuse to pay other than owing more and more and more the longer you leave it.

If there was a threat of sending you to prison for failing to pay, it makes
    you wonder with the current prison system and overcrowding if you would end up going to prison and getting signed in and signed out the same day due to lack of a prison cell. I would happily test out that theory if I was not a firearms owner where if I got a criminal record it might affect me re-newing my firearms licence.

~B

The threat they make if you don,t pay they put a charge on someones property is Not an automatic charge. It may become one but it would take a court case to order it. This is by no means certain to happen. If it ever did happen the charge can only be for a period of 12 years, it's not forever.

It this an information gathering question on behalf of the Irish Government? :/

Far from it, check through my past posts, you will see I am strongly opposed to any household tax/property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm merging the 2 Household charges threads that are on the first page of the Limerick page, I'll just lock anymore that come up.

Reminder to all, this is a regional forum, not a political forum, if you want to get into a political debate there are plenty of more suitable areas to goto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Just to Add I got the Household Charge Final Reminder Leaflet in the door yesterday And a Don't register don't pay leaflet in this morning .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Got my first and only leaflet in the door today and its a final reminder??

I'm not paying out of protest, because i'm not happy with the government and this is a good opportunity to show my unhappiness. That and i'm already behind on mortgage, esb and gas bills. So my house, elec and heating are more important then keeping the public light outside my house. Our estate hasn't been handed over to the council yet either.

My missus is well educated and can't find a job for almost 3 years now, because she is overqualified for most jobs.
    And also i'm already paying too much tax on fuel.

I think its time to be bold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Not paid, and no way on this earth will i be paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Foxadoyle

Don't intend paying. Have enough bills to pay on a monthly basis as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

why are the council tenents excempt, if everyone who lived in a house had to pay it it would be fairer, the way it is at the moment if i own my house and my next door neighbour is a council tenent, ive to pay for the services and they dont, were is the fairness in that, everybody with an address should have to pay it or no-one has to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see that from April 2nd there will be people going door to door for the local councils in order to get people to pay.

Genius idea in that they will be getting people in regular clothes to do this. They are meant to be carrying idea but the lack of any sort of uniform just leaves it open for conmen to start calling to houses pretending to be involved with the house tax.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

heaven help the poor guys that get `volunteered' to do this job. wouldn't like to the one knocking door to door.

maybe I should just pay it up I'll be so worried by somone at my door - time to clean out my piggy bank - I wonder how heavy 100e in 1c coins is ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

heaven help the poor guys that get `volunteered' to do this job. wouldn't like to the one knocking door to door.

maybe I should just pay it up I'll be so worried by somone at my door - time to clean out my piggy bank - I wonder how heavy 100e in 1c coins is ? :D

About 30kg at at guess. Think a cent is about 3g in weight.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Would it be criminal trespassing if these door to door people refused to leave your property??

Advertisement