Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to install and use XBMC on my ipad2?

• 06-03-2012 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

If so can someone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide so I can install it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have it - it is just class.

You need to jailbreak your ipad first and install xbmc from Cydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

gzoladz wrote: »
    I have it - it is just class.

You need to jailbreak your ipad first and install xbmc from Cydia.

I've done both of them thanks mate but it's here I get stuck as I don't know what to do next. I was told that there's something to do with SSH and maybe even downloading some stuff onto my laptop but I just don't know.

If anyone can tell me or can point me to an idiot's guide it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Another option would be to install Plex...it's pretty much the same thing, it was formed from some guys who worked with XBMC originally but branched off to form a Mac based version.
    You can download it via the app store. It will cost you, but the plus side if you wont have to JB your iPad.

What you need is to be able to download the add ons for xbmc and install them. The add ons are the ones that "capture" the content.

In order to do that, you need to get access to the file system of the ipad.

They way I do it is, I access the filesystem with ifile (a cydia app) and I download the add ons with Atomic Web Browser.

Once I have the add on downloaded, I go to xbmc and I install it from the folder where the add on has been downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi OP. Just install plex. It does what you need straight out of the box. Jailbreaking is a bit crap. It's a year or two since I tried it admittedly and only on my iPhone but it destabilised the device. Cydia is a piece of **** that should have been rewritten early on to operate intelligently but instead they just keep extending the thing. Plex is where you want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

op do you have a pc or a mac?

I dont know Plex so I cant comment, xbmc is great but can be tricky to use.

I will research Plex later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What are people using xmbc for at the moment?I used to use it for rte player but need to do that has been eradicated by the rte player app.

What other cool addons am I oblivious to?

op do you have a pc or a mac?

I have a PC mate.

Any help would be great!

What you need is to be able to download the add ons for xbmc and install them. The add ons are the ones that "capture" the content.

In order to do that, you need to get access to the file system of the ipad.

They way I do it is, I access the filesystem with ifile (a cydia app) and I download the add ons with Atomic Web Browser.

Once I have the add on downloaded, I go to xbmc and I install it from the folder where the add on has been downloaded.

Sounds quite complicated!

I was told I'd need SSH, does that ring a bell to anyone?

• Advertisement

Yes, SSH is used to access the file system of the ipad. If you were downloading the add ons on a PC or Mac as opposed to the ipad, you would need to put them in the file system of the ipad to install them.

You can use ifile instead.

What are people using xmbc for at the moment?I used to use it for rte player but need to do that has been eradicated by the rte player app.

What other cool addons am I oblivious to?

I use it mainly for justin.tv, RTE Player, other and other non irish networks.

In particular for Justin, the quality is much better than the app, and it is free.

There are also many resources for movies, series, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

OP, it depends on what exactly you want to do with your installation but there is now a Plex server available for PC. Install that.

You then need to download & install the Plex iOS client. The downside of this is that the client costs something like €3.99 maybe.

Once installed the server will index all your media and provide metadata with the media so it's very like XMBC in that respect.

Plex server will automatically stream content to your iOS plex client or you can watch content directly off your Plex installation PC by installing the free Plex front end, again like XMBC.

Plex also offers MyPlex which is a simple way of configuring Plex to operate away from home. With that you can watch your PC content from other locations, even over 3G if you want.

I've been using Plex for about 6 months and have built a whole system around it. It works great. You'll be up and running in 30 minutes and installing stuff on your PC & iPhone is about as technical as it gets. After that you just point the Plex media manager to your TV and Movies directories and you're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

OP simplest way after you jailbreak and have the cydia app, follow these simple steps

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch

boom job done... dont concern yourself with plex or ssh, waaay to over complicate something so simple... :rolleyes:

Stuxnet wrote: »
    OP simplest way after you jailbreak and have the cydia app, follow these simple steps

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch

boom job done... dont concern yourself with plex or ssh, waaay to over complicate something so simple... :rolleyes:

He has already installed xbmc its th add ons he wants

I have a PC mate.

Any help would be great!

1st install winscp http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

2nd. Find the ip address of you device through your network settings. This is your host name for winscp and you login as 'root' and 'alpine' as your password.

3rd. Download the addon zip files from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_add-on_repositories

Make sure not to unzip.

What kind of addon you looking for? I use flashstreamsports alot as well as icefilms. Have a look through that list

4th. Through winscp navigate to private/var/mobile/applications and copy and paste the ZIP FOLDER into here.

5th. Exit out of winscp and go into xbmc. Go to sysem- addons- install from zip- home folder- applications

Your copied zip files should be in there....click enable

Now go back to addons menu and go into 'enabled add ons' and you should see your newly install addons....click into whichever and then into video addons and your specific addon should be there i.e flashstreamsports and click install.

This should now be install back on your main menu of xbmc under videos.

Here is a video thats explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGIjbR6Jn4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also look on xbmc forum as well as xbmchub.info. Very useful.

Let me know how you get on and if you have questions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

navi-x is a great add on great for all the live channels if you know what I mean.

On plex, can you actually add plugins on your ipad, or it can only be managed from your desktop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Stuxnet wrote: »

Cheers for the link, I installed it on my iPad 2 and watching video from the pc on ipad now :)

On plex, can you actually add plugins on your ipad, or it can only be managed from your desktop?

I have played with plex for an hour, back to xbmc now...I like ot much better?

• Advertisement

1st install winscp http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

2nd. Find the ip address of you device through your network settings. This is your host name for winscp and you login as 'root' and 'alpine' as your password.

3rd. Download the addon zip files from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_add-on_repositories

Make sure not to unzip.

What kind of addon you looking for? I use flashstreamsports alot as well as icefilms. Have a look through that list

4th. Through winscp navigate to private/var/mobile/applications and copy and paste the ZIP FOLDER into here.

5th. Exit out of winscp and go into xbmc. Go to sysem- addons- install from zip- home folder- applications

Your copied zip files should be in there....click enable

Now go back to addons menu and go into 'enabled add ons' and you should see your newly install addons....click into whichever and then into video addons and your specific addon should be there i.e flashstreamsports and click install.

This should now be install back on your main menu of xbmc under videos.

Here is a video thats explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGIjbR6Jn4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also look on xbmc forum as well as xbmchub.info. Very useful.

Let me know how you get on and if you have questions:D

Fantastic mate!

Will give it a rattle tomorrow evening and let you know how I get on!

Advertisement