Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy furniture/white goods in Ire or Oz

Options
  • 06-03-2012 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    I will be emigrating with my partner and child to Geelong, outside Melbourne in the coming months when our PR visa clears. As we moved back home to save up from rented accommodation we have no furniture or white goods of our own. Our migration agent has advised that it would be cheaper to buy furniture and white goods in Ireland and have them shipped over rather than waiting to get them in Oz.
    I have been researching and it seems
    That Oz furniture is very expensive ( and tacky ) Also white goods are considerably dearer. Our main stumbling block is the shipping cost as we hadn't budgeted for it.
    I was hoping to get people's thoughts on what the best solution is. Furniture and white goods are available at great discounts in Ireland at the moment but surely with so many people renting unfurnished property in Oz there is a huge market for good quality 2nd hand stuff?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1614240&p=-1&#bottom

This is a thread on the aussie equivalent of boards where some guy imported a whole load of Miele products at a massive discount to the same items available in Oz, including shipping, taxes, etc.

It depends what you're getting to be honest. If you want new stuff then buying it here and shipping is probably worth it. If you just want to fill your place with any old thing then you'll probably be better off shipping it. I live in Brisbane and, although you can get a lot of second hand stuff, the choice is pretty poor. Geelong might be better. Check out gumtree for that area and it'll give you a decent idea of what you can get and for how much.

Also, bear in mind that it can take ages for your stuff to arrive, so you might have to factor in renting furniture etc into your costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if your moving near an ikea just by everything there, otherwise bring stuff. shipping is not too bad, I got 2 pallets to NZ for €600, 12 weeks on a ship though and about the same cost again in customs and port clearance and local delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

We are moving to WA in a few months, my new job is paying relocation so I am getting a container of stuff shipped over. We are planning on renting for the first few years and renting the house in Ireland, are most rental houses provided with white goods or should we by new ones here before we go and if we leave some of our old furniture to rent it should we get any new stuff before we go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

No6 wrote: »
    We are moving to WA in a few months, my new job is paying relocation so I am getting a container of stuff shipped over. We are planning on renting for the first few years and renting the house in Ireland, are most rental houses provided with white goods or should we by new ones here before we go and if we leave some of our old furniture to rent it should we get any new stuff before we go?

Most rentals do not have white goods.

Advertisement