Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deedev

Hi there,
    Great thread, quick question when u activate IEC visa at the border do they give u a social security number at that point or do u have to apply somewhere else? Also we are planning to holiday for the first two months and not work can we keep these two months as part of working visa even though it may be activated by entering Canada .
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Nope you have to apply at a Service Canada location for the SIN.
    It will be issued on the spot but you wont get the card for a couple of weeks.

It might be possible to enter as a tourist for your holiday first but its possible immigration will see the IEC pending and make you activate it there and then.
    After all it is a Working Holiday Visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Hi All,

Pressing question!!

I am moving to Vancouver in March 2013 (as soon as I can get 2013 IEC through) and have contacted a few people in my sector in Vancouver and have gotten interest and been asked to call to arrange interviews when I arrive by several companies so should have no problem getting a job! (yay!!)

However, there is one particular company I have Skype interviewed with, and they have offered me an LMO visa to come over early (January 2013), so my question is this; Which is better to have? Employer sponsored permit or IEC?
    If I go with the employer and it doesn't work out and I want to change jobs can I get a subsequent IEC? Can I apply for both and keep the IEC as back-up in case? I know with LMO I will be tied to an employer and that's not what I want just in case!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Why are you going to Canada?
    Are you intending to work and travel or just work?
    If it was me I would take the LMO to be honest one in the hand and all that.

I guess it's possible to apply for the IEC as well, it remains valid for 12 months after the letter of introduction is issued, wouldn't be sure of how immigration would view it though tbh worth a call to them to ask I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5 number11

Hey,

Can someone please help me out?

I was arrested for a DUI offence whilst in Nova Scotia a couple of months ago. then i had to return home to Ireland due to a bereavement and i ended up missing the set court date. And I was also unable to afford a lawyer as i had to use that money for a flight home. So a friend of mine showed up in court and said they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest.

They then adjourned it to a later date but however I could not afford to go back there for it and i also couln not get in contact with my proposed lawyer. My friend did not show up either.

Does anyone know of the consequences from all of this fine mess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

number11 wrote: »
    Hey,

Can someone please help me out?

I was arrested for a DUI offence whilst in Nova Scotia a couple of months ago. then i had to return home to Ireland due to a bereavement and i ended up missing the set court date. And I was also unable to afford a lawyer as i had to use that money for a flight home. So a friend of mine showed up in court and said they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest.

They then adjourned it to a later date but however I could not afford to go back there for it and i also couln not get in contact with my proposed lawyer. My friend did not show up either.

Does anyone know of the consequences from all of this fine mess?

If you go back to Canada, arrest, court and jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Hi All,

I am moving to Canada early in the new year and am in a very fortunate position. I have been offered a job already and they will arrange LMO visa for me.

Now my question is this; Should I accept the offer and head to Canada work sponsored? Or should I wait and apply for IMO when it opens in January? I have had interest back from several other companies, and my particular skill set is sought after (but not on the skills list) so I know I won't struggle to find a job in Vancouver.
    How does LMO work? Will I be tied to that employer? What will happen if I want to leave them? Would I just be better off getting a working holiday and looking for work when I get there? I know this is a great opportunity but I don't want the length of my stay to be conditional on the job working out!

Thank you so much in advance for any information you can give on LMO and employer sponsored visas!

Also, anyone that's willing to take a 24 year old Wexford girl on the beer in Vancouver PM!! ha ha :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

take the lmo and go out on a gauranteed job, apply for the iec and you have a year to use it. So you could use it when your Lmo twp expires and stay for a 2nd year. And you would have it if you didn't like the company and wanted to change companies.

LMO ties you to the employer if you leave them you can't work anymore unless you get a new visa.

If you take the LMO job you know that the company will help you stay which will be a big help for staying permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dealdish

TRY SINP

dealdish wrote: »
    TRY SINP

If you mean for louise to try SINP she is for Vancouver and therefore not eligible. its only if you are going to Saskatchewan,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahoh1987

hi everyone,

myself and my boyfriend were hoping to go to Canada early next year but having found out how long it takes for the visas it won't be as early as we hoped!

I myself am trained in nutrition and my boyfriend is a pilot, there is nothing happening for us both work-wise in Ireland and I feel like my life is wasting away here!

We are both aware that we may not get jobs in our chosen fields and are more than willing to work away at whatever we need to while we pursue work in our chosen occupations. My questions are is there anyone in similar occupations that have gone out to Canada or have any friends/ family etc and how have they found it?

We are going to Canada not to party or for an easy back packers lifestyle but to try and earn some decent money and make something of our lifes, where are people thinking of going in Canada with the intention of earning decent money and hopefully the potential to save money also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bcool

Hi All,

I am moving to Canada early in the new year and am in a very fortunate position. I have been offered a job already and they will arrange LMO visa for me.

Now my question is this; Should I accept the offer and head to Canada work sponsored? Or should I wait and apply for IMO when it opens in January? I have had interest back from several other companies, and my particular skill set is sought after (but not on the skills list) so I know I won't struggle to find a job in Vancouver.
    How does LMO work? Will I be tied to that employer? What will happen if I want to leave them? Would I just be better off getting a working holiday and looking for work when I get there? I know this is a great opportunity but I don't want the length of my stay to be conditional on the job working out!

Thank you so much in advance for any information you can give on LMO and employer sponsored visas!

Also, anyone that's willing to take a 24 year old Wexford girl on the beer in Vancouver PM!! ha ha :-) :-)
    Take the lmo offer. It should give you a 2 year work permit, if the job don't work out then you can change employers by the new employer giving you a new lmo. You cross the border with new lmo return into Canada and of you go again.
    But I am pretty sure that you will stay with first employer if they are offering you an lmo and it is not on the skills list.
    Work permit is more secure. You get health cover etc.
    I have done the above , ( border crossing ) and no problem.
    Can't take you on the beer as I am in Alberta ,
    Best of luck whatever u do

bcool wrote: »
    Work permit is more secure. You get health cover etc.
    I have done the above , ( border crossing ) and no problem.
    Can't take you on the beer as I am in Alberta ,
    Best of luck whatever u do

Health cover is the same if you are on a LMO work permit or an IEC work permit so don't let that be a deciding factor. Also an IEC is actually more secure as if you have an LMO and that company lets you go you are screwed unless you find another company willing to do the process. which can be awkward depending on what your job is.

Thats why I would take the LMO and get the IEC as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭iprawn

Does anybody on here know if when you are applying for a one year working visa they check if you have been paying taxes in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dunphyh

no - they don't care! You have not indicated which type of work permit you are applying for? IEC/ Temporary foreign worker?
    However you should complete the forms accurately with all the required information, making sure that your attached CV is complete and matches information on application forms, especially that all time periods are accounted for.
    If you fulfill all the requirements for the specific program you are applying for, then you'll most likely get a visa. They do check References, to confirm work history/experience etc. Financial requirements are ususally requested in the form of Bank statement to be obtained no more than a week before you arrive in Canada.
    Not sure if this answers your question, you will need to be more specific, why does it matter whether you have been paying taxes or not? If this is because you have not lived in Ireland for the past 12 months, then you would not be elligible for the IEC work permit, however you could apply for a Temororary work permit, if you secure employment in Canada first.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

iprawn wrote: »
    Does anybody on here know if when you are applying for a one year working visa they check if you have been paying taxes in ireland?

Eh, no. They will ask for a criminal record check but that will be about the height of it

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

Hi guys,
    i'm based in Calgary at the moment and I'm looking for genuine hard working honest staff- can't believe how hard they are to come by. So I figured since this forum helped me out when I was coming over, i might as well help someone else out. Cafe work nothing hectic. Pm me if interested
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mervyn2233

Hi All ,
    I myself am looking to emigrate with my wife and kids due to lack of work in Ireland and have made some prelimulary enquiries first with a well known visa company found on the internet (can be named if allowed ??)
    The visa company have said that i qualify under the IEC visa sheme which i know most people do anyway .Between lots of calls and to and frowing over the phone the guy basicly said we as Irish citizens can now go to canada to work for 2 years subject to obtaining a job offer first which his company will arrange(Interviews of course) as part of there application process and overall service .The part that has me confused is he said after the 2 years have expired I can apply to stay perminantly without and problems providing iv been in no trouble with the law and iv paid my taxes and also in employment then i will get the PR visa .My worry is i dont want to pack up and move my family over and have to come back after 2 years if we like it over there ,can anyone else shed some light on this for me please .
    Also the company i may be employing to do all this for me are charging 2,500 pounds sterling for the visa 2 adults ,3 kids ,employment assistance services ,any advice or help in the settling period ,schools etc .Am i been robbed or am i just been paranoid ,please help as my head is wrecked !!!!!
    Mervyn
    P.S It does say on the intro letter i got that the type of visa thats on the application is Federal skilled for perminent residency ,hope this helps ????

Hi Mervyn,

Yep he is trying to rob you to be blunt. The IEC is $150 each for you and your wife so 300 altogether. But it doesn't automatically qualify you for permanent residency. The Federal skilled worker visa is on hold until January when they are releasing new qualifying info. The IEC is also not available until probably end of Dec/ Jan.

Its illegal for a company to charge you to help you find a job so if they are saying they charge includes this, run away very fast from them.

The whole process is very easy to do your self once you start looking into it.

Without knowing what you do for a living I would suggest getting the IEC for 2 years and deciding where you want to go and look into all of the provinces provincial nominee programs for PR. These are generally quicker and easier to qualify for than the main federal route.

If you expand on your qualifications people will be able to help more or give you an idea of what areas are better for those roles.

Hi
    bstar wrote: »
    Hi Mervyn,

Yep he is trying to rob you to be blunt. The IEC is $150 each for you and your wife so 300 altogether. But it doesn't automatically qualify you for permanent residency. The Federal skilled worker visa is on hold until January when they are releasing new qualifying info. The IEC is also not available until probably end of Dec/ Jan.

Its illegal for a company to charge you to help you find a job so if they are saying they charge includes this, run away very fast from them.

The whole process is very easy to do your self once you start looking into it.

Without knowing what you do for a living I would suggest getting the IEC for 2 years and deciding where you want to go and look into all of the provinces provincial nominee programs for PR. These are generally quicker and easier to qualify for than the main federal route.

If you expand on your qualifications people will be able to help more or give you an idea of what areas are better for those roles.

Hi Bstar ,Thanks for your reply and advice .I forgot to mention my background .I have worked in the technology/telecom industries for last 7 years .i was in call centre on the phones but done a lot of training assignments for company around the world i.e India ,South Africa etc .
    The guy from visa company which I'm going to name as globalvisas said with my work experience and skills i will qualify under federal skilled worker visa . I have no 3rd level qualifications or anything .Please correct me if I'm wrong but has he mentioned 2 different types of visa to me ie the IEC and the Federal Skilled ??
    Can someone please tell me what questions i need to ask him so i know whether I'm been robbed or not ?Much appreciate any help i can get right now .
    mervyn

• Advertisement

mervyn2233 wrote: »
    Hi

Hi Bstar ,Thanks for your reply and advice .I forgot to mention my background .I have worked in the technology/telecom industries for last 7 years .i was in call centre on the phones but done a lot of training assignments for company around the world i.e India ,South Africa etc .
    The guy from visa company which I'm going to name as globalvisas said with my work experience and skills i will qualify under federal skilled worker visa . I have no 3rd level qualifications or anything .Please correct me if I'm wrong but has he mentioned 2 different types of visa to me ie the IEC and the Federal Skilled ??
    Can someone please tell me what questions i need to ask him so i know whether I'm been robbed or not ?Much appreciate any help i can get right now .
    mervyn

With regard to the FSW visa been temporary closed until the new year it does state on the CIC website that you can still apply if you have a qualifying job offer ?
    with regard to the fees i mentioned above , i just found on the CIC site that under the FSW visa you must also pay fee for the "The right of permanent residency " which for me and my family would cost 1550 CAD. so maybe the balance of the 2500 pounds is the charge for them doing the paperwork for me and lining up the job offers/interviews through there associated job agencies in Canada ??? Any comments or thoughts would be welcomed ?
    mervyn

Its illegal for them to do anything to do with getting you a job though Mervyn the CIC are actually closing companies down doing that would be the thing I would be wary of.

get a cup of tea and sit down and read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canadian_Immigration and also the forums there are very good with answering questions.

There is post secondary education required for alot of the visas though especially the FSW as if you have no formal training in it how are you skilled is how they look at it.

I wouldn't personally pay anyone to do the paperwork for me as it is very easy, its long but easy to do. The immigration companies don't even fill it in for you they just check what you have done is correct so you will still have to do the work.

If it was me I would still apply for the IEC then apply for provincial nominee or go for a Arranged employment skilled worker which will be easier to get if you are over here.

Also do this and see if you get enough points to pass, It will be changing in january but not by much.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

SINP's point test is
    http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/sinp-400-1/

Hopefully this helps.

Also have a look at this http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/global-visas-a58667.html Alot of these complaints are from UK people who have been scammed

• Registered Users Posts: 13 copyandpaste

Hello, any advice welcome!
    Myself and my BF live in Toronto, and we are on our second year IEC visa. They expire next september, but we would like to stay here another few years. My BF has a skilled job with a company who would like him to stay longterm, so we are considering going down the LMO route. I work full time too in a less skilled position.
    If he gets the LMO can I get a work visa under this too?
    We are not registered as common law yet, but are going to a Notary this week to get the form signed, and we have a joint lease, bank account etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartyLK

Hello, any advice welcome!
    Myself and my BF live in Toronto, and we are on our second year IEC visa. They expire next september, but we would like to stay here another few years. My BF has a skilled job with a company who would like him to stay longterm, so we are considering going down the LMO route. I work full time too in a less skilled position.
    If he gets the LMO can I get a work visa under this too?
    We are not registered as common law yet, but are going to a Notary this week to get the form signed, and we have a joint lease, bank account etc

Hi, sorry I don't have any answers for your question but can I just ask what you have made of Toronto. Thinking of headin out next year and just wondering about how people are finding the cost of living, finding housing/jobs, rent rates etc.

Any info would be great thanks.

Hope you're both enjoying it.

Marty

Hi Marty,
    Before I came to Toronto, one of the best bits of advice I got off a friend who was already here, was to be prepared not to like it for the first few months. She was right. It's by no means easy when you arrive here at first. Its a very expensive city, rent, food, bills etc so try save as much as you can before leaving. Also its hard to get a job here, I know some people at home have the impression that you will just walk into a job, thats not the case at all. You have to really put yourself out there and network and make contacts.
    But when you get through all that; get a good job and somewhere to live and get yourself settled, Toronto then becomes a really great place to live. The people are lovely and its a great standard of life here. Transportation is fantastic and there is always something to do or somewhere to go. Also theres a great Irish community here, and lots a meet-ups/sports teams etc, where you can meet people.

Hope this has been of some help for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How long did it take you to land a job there?

4 weeks; I was lucky I had a contact and got a good job that I'm still in now. My BF is an engineer, it took him longer to get the job he's in now, he took a low paid job in the beginning to get some money coming in and sent off CV's in the evenings until he got the job he was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Are you enjoying toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartyLK

Hi Marty,
    Before I came to Toronto, one of the best bits of advice I got off a friend who was already here, was to be prepared not to like it for the first few months. She was right. It's by no means easy when you arrive here at first. Its a very expensive city, rent, food, bills etc so try save as much as you can before leaving. Also its hard to get a job here, I know some people at home have the impression that you will just walk into a job, thats not the case at all. You have to really put yourself out there and network and make contacts.
    But when you get through all that; get a good job and somewhere to live and get yourself settled, Toronto then becomes a really great place to live. The people are lovely and its a great standard of life here. Transportation is fantastic and there is always something to do or somewhere to go. Also theres a great Irish community here, and lots a meet-ups/sports teams etc, where you can meet people.

Hope this has been of some help for you!

Hi, really appreciate you getting back & cheers for the advice.

Yeah I'll defo be going knowing it's goin to be tough for a couple of months and as long as I get a decent place to stay hopefully within the first week or 2 I can get stuck into finding work then. No qualms about taking an initial job that wouldn't be my first choice just to keep the bank acct tickin over and get settled like you mentioned your fella did.
    Goin on my own by looks of it so that's the only issue I would have about not settling, have lived in USA for few years though so shouldn't be too tough otherwise.
    Looks like a good spot, plenty to do as you say and having a few other Irish around never harms either I suppose! London, Ontario is somewhere else I'm considerin so I'll get the application out of the way first and take it from there.
    I'm sure you'll see my name all over the boards next year wreckin peoples heads about all the do's and don'ts!!:o
    Cheers again,
    Marty

• Advertisement

MartyLK wrote: »
    Hi, really appreciate you getting back & cheers for the advice.

Yeah I'll defo be going knowing it's goin to be tough for a couple of months and as long as I get a decent place to stay hopefully within the first week or 2 I can get stuck into finding work then. No qualms about taking an initial job that wouldn't be my first choice just to keep the bank acct tickin over and get settled like you mentioned your fella did.
    Goin on my own by looks of it so that's the only issue I would have about not settling, have lived in USA for few years though so shouldn't be too tough otherwise.
    Looks like a good spot, plenty to do as you say and having a few other Irish around never harms either I suppose! London, Ontario is somewhere else I'm considerin so I'll get the application out of the way first and take it from there.
    I'm sure you'll see my name all over the boards next year wreckin peoples heads about all the do's and don'ts!!:o
    Cheers again,
    Marty

No worries, I wrecked everyone's head before I left too! You'l be fine since you've lived abroad before, most cities are the same anyway. There's a facebook group called "Irish & New in Toronto" which is a good source for advice too. And this page; http://www.meetup.com/irish-society-toronto
    And of course I've made a few Canadian friends too through work!

Best of luck!

Advertisement