Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi Roxanne,

Thanks for all the great information you are providing,

I have a question about my Immigration Options. I am currently in Canada on my first IEC Visa which terminates in July 2012. I have applied for my second IEC as you are allowed to apply for two & I'm waiting to hear back. I passed the initial requirements & paid the application fees as requested. But I'm still waiting for my application to be granted as I paid the fees nearly 5 weeks ago now & as of today there are only 1,000 places left & I'm starting to panic.........!!:confused:
    My situation is I came out in July 2011 & landed in Toronto & spent 8 months there working low end jobs as I couldn't get a job in my field for love, nor money. Case of no Canadian Experience & not recognising my Qualifications. I moved out to Calgary & secured a job as a Land Surveying Technician. It's a Full-time position with a Multi-National Company & comes with benefits & pension plan. My question is I'm worried I might not get the second IEC Visa & wondered what my options are? Can I apply for the AINP or should I apply for a Skilled Visa or try get my Company to sponsor me.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards Geoff.

Roxanne was banned from boards about 2 weeks ago! You have to be on a very short list of occupations to qualify for a permanent visa, otherwise I guess your only option is an LMO...

Have you chased up your IEC application? If they didn't find your payment I think they would have rejected you by now. So you should be fine! They won't run out of places before you get yours either. The quota for places left decreases with applications entered into there system. Not for LOI's issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gaffobohs

Hi all. I have recently received nomination through the SINP under the skilled worker section. I received a letter of support which they say replaces the LMO.

I'm a bit confused as the SINP told me I need to apply for a TWP to get in (I want to get over before applying for PR), but one of my friends who got the same nomination as me and went over said he got his at the airport.

Is there a need to apply for the work permit before I get there or can I get it at the point of entry?

Thanks in advance.

well once a work permit is approved you have to physically be at border control to receive it, as that's where they process them. Id just make sure you have the documentation required. Cant help any further as i haven't done it but that's my understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

noel is right, you aren't sent a work permit. you get it from the border control agent in canada

I wonder why the immigration guy in the SINP that I was corresponding with told me that I need to apply before I get over:confused:

My application for the SINP was accepted and I was sent 3 emails with a letter stating that they have deemed that I have been urgently requested to start work. But in all the emails they are telling me to apply for a TWP here :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

So I just bring my letter saying Ive been nominated to the Airport in Saskatoon and I'll be issued with a work permit?

Also my common-law spouse will be going too, will we just need the 'declaration of common law' form with us or will we need anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gaffobohs wrote: »
    I wonder why the immigration guy in the SINP that I was corresponding with told me that I need to apply before I get over:confused:

My application for the SINP was accepted and I was sent 3 emails with a letter stating that they have deemed that I have been urgently requested to start work. But in all the emails they are telling me to apply for a TWP here :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

So I just bring my letter saying Ive been nominated to the Airport in Saskatoon and I'll be issued with a work permit?

Also my common-law spouse will be going too, will we just need the 'declaration of common law' form with us or will we need anything else?

hmmm

that's all a bit strange tbh

you'd wanna get onto them and clarify exactly what's going on. sounds like they're saying they'll give you a job when you arrive, but you've to do the leg work yourself...

Yeah its funny.

I did get onto them and was told I have to apply for one before I go, but as I said a friend of mine went over last month with the same stuff I received and got a visa for him and his wife.

I have a job already and can start as soon as I get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

gaffobohs wrote: »
    Yeah its funny.

I did get onto them and was told I have to apply for one before I go, but as I said a friend of mine went over last month with the same stuff I received and got a visa for him and his wife.

I have a job already and can start as soon as I get over.
    You used to have to apply to the embassy for a temp work permit but now if you have all your paperwork in order you can get it at point of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

Hi guys , im out of work since aug 2011, ive been looking for work here and have had some interviews but basicaly employers want you to work for free these days,,im not asking for mental money but come on 9 euro an hour for a welder/steel fabricator, with 14 years experience! anyway applied for work in Canada and to my suprise the employer came here to interview people and woopa i got the job,but here s the thing ,,im bloody terrified ,ive got to take my two girls out of school ,away from their friends, give away my beautiful dogs , rent out my house, try to find a place over there and start again from scratch, what are the schools like over there does anyone know?,where is a good place to rent?do you have to do ur own tax? ive still got loans here is it easy to set up some kind of direct debit? more info would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

damob9 wrote: »
    You used to have to apply to the embassy for a temp work permit but now if you have all your paperwork in order you can get it at point of entry.

The exact same thing has happened my partner, he got offered the job the company got LMO and sent his contract and told him to apply for a work permit. Is this because he is not guaranteed one if he goes straight to the border control?

Wonder can we contact the London office and ask them to send all the stuff back and just tell the company to book his flights and go!? Anyone got any idea how we'd go about getting his application, contract, LMO etc back and quickly?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chris12

jenniem01 wrote: »

The exact same thing has happened my partner, he got offered the job the company got LMO and sent his contract and told him to apply for a work permit. Is this because he is not guaranteed one if he goes straight to the border control?

Wonder can we contact the London office and ask them to send all the stuff back and just tell the company to book his flights and go!? Anyone got any idea how we'd go about getting his application, contract, LMO etc back and quickly?!
    We have contract & lmo also and company said apply to London for work permit, but I understood we could get that at the border??? Tried to contact cic London but they don't take calls only email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

rapture 3 wrote: »
    Hi guys , im out of work since aug 2011, ive been looking for work here and have had some interviews but basicaly employers want you to work for free these days,,im not asking for mental money but come on 9 euro an hour for a welder/steel fabricator, with 14 years experience! anyway applied for work in Canada and to my suprise the employer came here to interview people and woopa i got the job,but here s the thing ,,im bloody terrified ,ive got to take my two girls out of school ,away from their friends, give away my beautiful dogs , rent out my house, try to find a place over there and start again from scratch, what are the schools like over there does anyone know?,where is a good place to rent?do you have to do ur own tax? ive still got loans here is it easy to set up some kind of direct debit? more info would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.
    Hi Rapture , if you post where your going to people in that area might be able to help and don't be in a rush to give away your dogs you can bring them with you.There's no quarantine if the dogs have their shots

[/QUOTE]
    Hi Rapture , if you post where your going to people in that area might be able to help and don't be in a rush to give away your dogs you can bring them with you.There's no quarantine if the dogs have their shots[/Quote]

I dont want to go off topic but just have a quick question. Can ya bring cats and dogs back to Ireland from Canada without putting them in quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

thanks.

Would you consider making the move yourself for 3 months and see if it seems ok for you. Then you can uproot family over to join you. It would probably be better to have the kids start at beginning of term rather than in the middle of one.

Paying loans at home are not that easy to do from here in my experience because everytime you make a wire transfer it costs you $30 or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

If your renting your house when you move to canada. Could not have the rent go into an irish account with online banking. Then use this to pay other debts and transfer money in lumps sums to this account when needed rather than wiring money every month. Not sure if you have mortgage or not so this may or may not work.

Anyway im sure lots of people emigrate with debt back home so im sure someone here will be able to give you a good solution.

Hi Rapture , if you post where your going to people in that area might be able to help and don't be in a rush to give away your dogs you can bring them with you.There's no quarantine if the dogs have their shots
    Hey ,,,Im off to edmonton alberta,just waiting on the company to send me contracts to sign. As fas as the dogs go ive got a doberman and a yorkie, just checked a shipping site there and got a quote for 3k for the two of them !! i aint got that cash. Not bringing them would destroy my kids and me,,as well as that landlords dont seem to like any kind of pet over there,been on a few sites ughh

ibh wrote: »
    Would you consider making the move yourself for 3 months and see if it seems ok for you. Then you can uproot family over to join you. It would probably be better to have the kids start at beginning of term rather than in the middle of one.

Paying loans at home are not that easy to do from here in my experience because everytime you make a wire transfer it costs you $30 or so...
    $30 jez , id have to move the family fairly quick coz i wouldnt be able to pay mortgage here and rent over there :( i couldnt go with out seeing my girls for 3 months :( lucky enough the company is paying for me to stay in a hotel for a month while i sort out accom and stuff

jd83 wrote: »
    If your renting your house when you move to canada. Could not have the rent go into an irish account with online banking. Then use this to pay other debts and transfer money in lumps sums to this account when needed rather than wiring money every month. Not sure if you have mortgage or not so this may or may not work.

Anyway im sure lots of people emigrate with debt back home so im sure someone here will be able to give you a good solution.
    Hey , yeah i got me a mortgage alright thats why im in this mess lol,,,bought at the height of the boom,(no one elses fault but my own) but sure thats another story,my mortgage and other loans come out of the one bank account so id be wiring the difference on the mortgage coz i know i couldnt rent it for the full repayments and a personal loan,so it should be only once a month wire ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Hey ,,,Im off to edmonton alberta,just waiting on the company to send me contracts to sign. As fas as the dogs go ive got a doberman and a yorkie, just checked a shipping site there and got a quote for 3k for the two of them !! i aint got that cash. Not bringing them would destroy my kids and me,,as well as that landlords dont seem to like any kind of pet over there,been on a few sites ughh

Some airline companies let you bring the dog on the flight with you in one of the storage areas. You will need to have a vet knock them out before hand. To my knowledge the airlines only charge the price of a seat

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Some airline companies let you bring the dog on the flight with you in one of the storage areas. You will need to have a vet knock them out before hand. To my knowledge the airlines only charge the price of a seat
    Cheers Tonto,

any ideas which airlines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 expatrebel

Hi I’ve just been reading through some posts which have been a great help. My situation is:

I`m looking to immigrate to Canada (Toronto preferable) Oct/Nov.

• An under graduate degree in Quantity Surveying with 3 years working experience as a Quantity Surveyor.
    • In the process of completing a MSc in Construction Economics I will graduate in August.

However I have studied and worked in the UK sense Sept 2008. I am wondering if anybody has information on the best visa to apply for. I don’t think I am legible for the IEC visa.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks posters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Hey , yeah i got me a mortgage alright thats why im in this mess lol,,,bought at the height of the boom,(no one elses fault but my own) but sure thats another story,my mortgage and other loans come out of the one bank account so id be wiring the difference on the mortgage coz i know i couldnt rent it for the full repayments and a personal loan,so it should be only once a month wire ugh

A couple of things that may help you, I have not moved yet but am getting ready to and this is what I have been told so far:

1. with Air Transat from Shannon you can book your dogs on directly with you. they will go in the hold and cost is about $280 per dog regardless of size.contact Air Transat to check. you will need to buy the proper airline carriers for them and get the shots from the vet. I was alos quoted about €3500 for my dogs but have discovered I can do it myslef cheaper. there is no sedation of animals allowed on air travel now from what I read because of the risk of death. the fees for entry into canada is abotu $40 each I think.

2. be careful with your rent. I spoke with a tax consultant last week who said that I will be liable for tax on any income over here regardless of mortgage etc. bills or tax on your mortgage can be set off against it but you will be liable for tax so just check that out properly.

ppink wrote: »
    A couple of things that may help you, I have not moved yet but am getting ready to and this is what I have been told so far:

1. with Air Transat from Shannon you can book your dogs on directly with you. they will go in the hold and cost is about $280 per dog regardless of size.contact Air Transat to check. you will need to buy the proper airline carriers for them and get the shots from the vet. I was alos quoted about €3500 for my dogs but have discovered I can do it myslef cheaper. there is no sedation of animals allowed on air travel now from what I read because of the risk of death. the fees for entry into canada is abotu $40 each I think.

2. be careful with your rent. I spoke with a tax consultant last week who said that I will be liable for tax on any income over here regardless of mortgage etc. bills or tax on your mortgage can be set off against it but you will be liable for tax so just check that out properly.
    Hey ppink,
    thanks so much for the reply, ill defo look into what you have said about my dogs,it is scandless the price, so as far as the mortgage id be screwed, well feck, I am actually trying to do the correct thing and pay the mortgage and try and live a good life for my children,eg: i would be able to afford a mac donalds at the weekends,not healthy but they like it lol,,ugh its endless,where you headin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chris12

ppink wrote: »

Hi

Yes your taxed on your income but rental income is after loan interest and expenses. Chances are you won't earn enough net rental income to pay tax as you will still have your tax credits available to you. You'd have to be making a profit of approx €9k before you would be liable for tax and if your married double that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Electronicus Digitalis

I have gone through this thread and did not find a specific answer per se so please accept my apologies if I am trawling over old ground: Is it correct to say that I can just apply for a work permit as distinct from an IEC, that they are different things?

I feel I may have found a job that suits me and I intend to apply for it, there are multiple vacancies, no experience required etc- but I do want to go there and work for 4 years, not 1.

So, assuming I am correct about the distinction, I am better off applying for the straight 4 year work permit, and that this will require a letter from my prospective employer confirming/outlining that I have been offered work. Then the CIC will do these checks to see that the work in question meets their guidelines and the HRDSC/LMO matters etc are in order etc?

Correct so far?

Thanks a lot in advance.;)

Chris12 wrote: »
    Hi

Yes your taxed on your income but rental income is after loan interest and expenses. Chances are you won't earn enough net rental income to pay tax as you will still have your tax credits available to you. You'd have to be making a profit of approx €9k before you would be liable for tax and if your married double that.

I need to look into it more too but this was not what I understood from our tax person so I must ask again to be sure. it would be great if thats the case. I did get that expenses and the tax related to the property could be written off but as far as I understood it your tax credits here no longer apply as you will be working in canada......is that not correct?

Hey ppink,
    thanks so much for the reply, ill defo look into what you have said about my dogs,it is scandless the price, so as far as the mortgage id be screwed, well feck, I am actually trying to do the correct thing and pay the mortgage and try and live a good life for my children,eg: i would be able to afford a mac donalds at the weekends,not healthy but they like it lol,,ugh its endless,where you headin?

I just see you're heading to Edmonton..not sure how the dogs will fare that way but give it a shot anyway, it would be awful to leave them behind. you may be able to change them in toronto with you.
    we are heading to Toronto :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Just wondering how easy is it to get a visitors visa while I wait for my LOI? Should I explain to the border control at the airport that this is what I'm doing or should I pretend to be a tourist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Airlines have a weight restriction on dogs, its usually around the 32kg mark for in the hold. That's the max I found.

i brought my German shepherd here to Canada just before xmas. its a costly venture.

they need pet passports, all their vaccines updated, rabies vaccine. Blood work done to show that all in ok . A cert from a vet saying all this is done and signed off that all is well. This all takes a while to do.

They also need crates that allow them to stand fully upright without crouching down and be able to turn around fully.

There is also a customs fee for bringing them in and a release fee when they arrive. Overall cost me 2100e to bring zeus over. Worth every penny but jaysus its expensive.

• Advertisement

johnt91 wrote: »
    Just wondering how easy is it to get a visitors visa while I wait for my LOI? Should I explain to the border control at the airport that this is what I'm doing or should I pretend to be a tourist??

With an Irish passport you don't need a visa to enter Canada, so tell them whatever you want. I'd start with I'm on a holiday to keep it simple!

Advertisement