Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I have gone through this thread and did not find a specific answer per se so please accept my apologies if I am trawling over old ground: Is it correct to say that I can just apply for a work permit as distinct from an IEC, that they are different things?

I feel I may have found a job that suits me and I intend to apply for it, there are multiple vacancies, no experience required etc- but I do want to go there and work for 4 years, not 1.

So, assuming I am correct about the distinction, I am better off applying for the straight 4 year work permit, and that this will require a letter from my prospective employer confirming/outlining that I have been offered work. Then the CIC will do these checks to see that the work in question meets their guidelines and the HRDSC/LMO matters etc are in order etc?

Correct so far?

Thanks a lot in advance.;)

My understanding of an LMO is you do not apply for it. The employer would have to do all the paper work. You and the employer would also have to meet alot of criteria! Best to ask some1 who specializes in Canadian immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Airlines have a weight restriction on dogs, its usually around the 32kg mark for in the hold. That's the max I found.

i brought my German shepherd here to Canada just before xmas. its a costly venture.

they need pet passports, all their vaccines updated, rabies vaccine. Blood work done to show that all in ok . A cert from a vet saying all this is done and signed off that all is well. This all takes a while to do.

They also need crates that allow them to stand fully upright without crouching down and be able to turn around fully.

There is also a customs fee for bringing them in and a release fee when they arrive. Overall cost me 2100e to bring zeus over. Worth every penny but jaysus its expensive.
    2100 ouch i got a doberman and yorkie, id get first class for that price haha

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Hey guys and girls,

Just waiting on my Saskatchewan nomination.
    I have the job as a welder and everything in place.

I am just curious from any one who has done it, once you have the nomination, is it a difficult road to get your work permit and permanent residency?

It is my understanding you apply for both together, and while waiting on residency you go and work on your work permit?

Also, My common law partner is coming with me. Am I correct that she also receives a work permit and can work away once we are over there?

All the info would break your brain, so if anyone knows it would be great.

Also, any one else heading to Saskatoon, drop me a private message. It would be great to know others over there when we land later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Also, My common law partner is coming with me. Am I correct that she also receives a work permit and can work away once we are over there?

afaik, she needs to apply once your work permit is approved, if you havent already applied already.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

oh the joys of leaving our beautiful land

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    afaik, she needs to apply once your work permit is approved, if you havent already applied already.

From what I gather from the sask government she can apply at same time as me. we pay together and all that.

Some times its not 100% what they are saying. they stay slightly vague at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Windhoek

damob9 wrote: »
    You used to have to apply to the embassy for a temp work permit but now if you have all your paperwork in order you can get it at point of entry.

As far as I can see the following happens - open to correction though.

When you get your SINP nomination, they tell you to make an application for a work permit which is done by filling in form IMM1295 and attaching all the relevant documentation. Irish people need to send this to CIC London.
    If your application is approved by CIC London, your passport and documents will be returned to you with a letter of introduction confirming the approval.
    A letter of introduction is not a guarantee of entry into Canada.

You then go to canada An officer at the port of entry will decide if you still meet the requirements for admission when you arrive and how long you may stay. You will be issued a work permit at this time.

As many have said it is not clear but this is what I have picked up through all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minnow1

Hi all, Got my Loi and am flying out on the 1st June.. Now, I just need a job and somplace to live. My friend went last Monday and had a job by the end of the week, hope I'll be as lucky!!
    ANyhow - I've been looking at houseshares on Kijiji and Craigslist and the like, but not sure what's the best area's etc.. Anyone any recommendations?? I'm going to Edmonton. don't need anything too flash, clean, close to lrt, can provide references, early 30's, not big drinkers, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

minnow1 wrote: »
    Hi all, Got my Loi and am flying out on the 1st June.. Now, I just need a job and somplace to live. My friend went last Monday and had a job by the end of the week, hope I'll be as lucky!!
    ANyhow - I've been looking at houseshares on Kijiji and Craigslist and the like, but not sure what's the best area's etc.. Anyone any recommendations?? I'm going to Edmonton. don't need anything too flash, clean, close to lrt, can provide references, early 30's, not big drinkers, etc etc.

Best areas and cheapest are in the west end.
    downtown is ok but pricey.
    avoid north of the city and the east side lot rougher

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Van1984

Hi - i am currently living in Canada and have been here since August 2010. My boyfriend has recently spoken with his boss (he works in the construction industry) who is willing to put him forward for PNP nomination. I know i can go as common law on this application but i have a couple of questions i'm hoping you can answer if you have the time:

1) How long once the paperwork is posted does it generally take to get a yes/no approval verdict?
    2) Does my boyfriend need to contact previous employers for references, letters of support etc? Would this strengthen his application or is it unnecessary additional paperwork?
    3) I am currently on my 2nd work permit in Canada which is due to expire mid August. What happens if the PNP approval doesn't come back until after the date my work permit expires? What can i do then? If it comes back negative am i left with any alternatives or would i have to pack up and leave seeing as my work permit would be expired? If it came back positive and before my current work permit expires do i have the option to go to the US border and renew my work permit?
    4) If it comes to the end of my current work permit and we are still waiting on a response from PNP - will i have to quit my job? I have tonnes of vacation time that i could use (ie: take a few weeks off work and then return once the PNP comes through?) or would that still be considered as working?

Sorry about all the questions - i'm trying to find as much information about this as i can online but its not very clear. My aim is to get the applications completed this week and posted asap if i have any chance of getting a positive response before my visa expires in August as i really don't want to have to quit my job. My boyfriends visa is for a few more months after mine so his situation won't really be affected if its sent in the next few weeks or not.

Another alternative is CEC which we had considered until now. I would go as main application on this one as my qualifications and occupation are considered more skilled for this type of visa. However if PNP is quicker then that is the option we would hope to go for.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeMcSavlon

Could anyone give me some information on this??
    I have received my email asking to pay for my visa now can I just go to AIB Grafton where the Canadian Embassy's Account is & lodge there. I tried in another AIB branch in Walkinstown & the chap behind the counter just said I can only lodge it in & wouldn't give me a receipt with the WTN on it!! I spent 5minutes trying to explain that I should be able to but not too sure now what to do. Unfortunately I'm an Ulster customer so cant do anything with them!! could anyone just shed some light to me it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Could anyone give me some information on this??
    I have received my email asking to pay for my visa now can I just go to AIB Grafton where the Canadian Embassy's Account is & lodge there. I tried in another AIB branch in Walkinstown & the chap behind the counter just said I can only lodge it in & wouldn't give me a receipt with the WTN on it!! I spent 5minutes trying to explain that I should be able to but not too sure now what to do. Unfortunately I'm an Ulster customer so cant do anything with them!! could anyone just shed some light to me it would be much appreciated.

Just go to ulster bank and do a bank transfer there should be fine. I have seen others go to bank of ireland NIB etc got receipts from other banks for the transfer to AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

I think its unlikely to find anyone in the same position as me but I'll put it out there anyway. I'm in Saskatoon, Sk. I'm currently on the IEC visa. I last week got my SINP nomination as a skilled worker. The information package that is sent out with the nomination is more directed at people outside of Canada. I want to know how to activate my 2 Year TWP before my IEC visa expires.

Having sent an email to the SINP in Regina with some queries, I got the usual one-line response with a link to the CIC web-site, within which I can't get a clear answer to my questions or else I get numerous contrasting answers.
    Is it just possible to exit and re-enter over a land border with all the paper work.

The people in Saskatchewan Immigration seem to have no answers for me because my application is not as straight forward as they're used to. I applied on my own online. My friend, in the same situation but with a lawyer activated his TWP by doing a border run, which seems to me to be the most straight forward method, but I can't get confirmation form the SINP that I can do this. My friend done this on the border run advice of his lawyer after his IEC had expired.

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I'm fairly confident that I read on here you cannot activate it until your current work permit has expired, so you may have to copy what your m8 did.

hopefully some1 can jump in and back that up, and give more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

johnkerry wrote: »
    I think its unlikely to find anyone in the same position as me but I'll put it out there anyway. I'm in Saskatoon, Sk. I'm currently on the IEC visa. I last week got my SINP nomination as a skilled worker. The information package that is sent out with the nomination is more directed at people outside of Canada. I want to know how to activate my 2 Year TWP before my IEC visa expires.

Having sent an email to the SINP in Regina with some queries, I got the usual one-line response with a link to the CIC web-site, within which I can't get a clear answer to my questions or else I get numerous contrasting answers.
    Is it just possible to exit and re-enter over a land border with all the paper work.

The people in Saskatchewan Immigration seem to have no answers for me because my application is not as straight forward as they're used to. I applied on my own online. My friend, in the same situation but with a lawyer activated his TWP by doing a border run, which seems to me to be the most straight forward method, but I can't get confirmation form the SINP that I can do this. My friend done this on the border run advice of his lawyer after his IEC had expired.

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks

honestly, give the government a ring and ask

they're super helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5lamps

Thinking of moving to Canada with my BH.

I have an Aunt and and Uncle whom are Canadian residents over 30 years and would be willing to sponser me.

Has anyone ever gone down this route ? We are not married so I would think that I could only be sponsored?

We are looking at Halifax and Toronto but open to offers. The only issue is that my Aunt and Uncle live in Toronto so would that limit us?

Also what are the best agencies to go to for a job in the financial sector.

Would it be better to apply for positions and try to get a job first then look for visa?

Any info help would be appreciated.

Thanks

id say start looking for job availability first. the sponsorship thing takes about 9-18 months for non spouses i believe, so there's no point in necessarily looking for a job right away

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5lamps

Thanks

So its better to look for a job first and then get the ball rolling re sponsorship?

How long does it normally take for sponsorship to get done?

Whats the best work agency's in Canada?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johno164

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me on this, my wife and I have both just got our sinp nomination, my employer has just told me that I can get my visa at the point of entry , now I'm Irish and have an Irish passport but my wife's Asian and as such has an Asian passport, can she accompany me if I get the visa at the point of entry?

Johno164 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me on this, my wife and I have both just got our sinp nomination, my employer has just told me that I can get my visa at the point of entry , now I'm Irish and have an Irish passport but my wife's Asian and as such has an Asian passport, can she accompany me if I get the visa at the point of entry?

if you have the relevant documentation to show she's married to you, then i would assume all will be provided on entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Johno164

Helix wrote: »
    Johno164 wrote: »

if you have the relevant documentation to show she's married to you, then i would assume all will be provided on entry

Thanks for the answer Helix, thats what I need to make sure of before we arrive over and she gets turned back which would be disasterous as we can't afford it and as we are in rented accommodation and need to know if we should keep it or let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimmy Talons

awesome resource of a thread, read through the first 8 pages and found all the info i needed. thanks to Roxanne and everyone else who contributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

right probably a stupid question but im trying to get my head around the whole getting into canada thing, from what ive gathered would it be fair to say that they released 5350 places for working holiday permits in 2012 and that these are all now filled so there is no hope getting in on one this year?
    then when the applications for 2013 come on line is it a case of just applying early hoping i get in under the 5 odd thou places, or is each app looked at and do they pick out people with select experience as desired?
    Also I am a recently qualified electrician so from what ive gathered i am eligble for a skilled worker permit? but these to are full for 2012? so im in two minds really, I dont really have a plan if/when i got there probably do a bit of travelling around dont really no if i would work at my trade, would depend on oppertunities.
    so basically which permit would be the better option for me the working holiday or the skilled worker? the joys of it all
    thanks in advance for any help.

If you are wanting to travel and look around then the IEC is the way to go.
    Apply when it opens and it is not cherry picked AFAIk it all first come first served.
    It'll prob open up again in the back end of the year but you could have everything you need collected up and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

mozil wrote: »
    right probably a stupid question but im trying to get my head around the whole getting into canada thing, from what ive gathered would it be fair to say that they released 5350 places for working holiday permits in 2012 and that these are all now filled so there is no hope getting in on one this year?
    then when the applications for 2013 come on line is it a case of just applying early hoping i get in under the 5 odd thou places, or is each app looked at and do they pick out people with select experience as desired?
    Also I am a recently qualified electrician so from what ive gathered i am eligble for a skilled worker permit? but these to are full for 2012? so im in two minds really, I dont really have a plan if/when i got there probably do a bit of travelling around dont really no if i would work at my trade, would depend on oppertunities.
    so basically which permit would be the better option for me the working holiday or the skilled worker? the joys of it all
    thanks in advance for any help.

I looked into it a while back. Same as you with being electrician and I thought Skilled Worker was the way to go. It's permanent but when I was checking it out (Somewhere around May) it was already filled for this year. Seems like you have to get in there very early.

Loads of electrician jobs too when I was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Hi all. I read through this thread as far as page 13... It took me a LONG time to get that far. :)

If my question is covered in the more recent pages please forgive me.

I'm 45, and want to go on a working holiday, relocation type of adventure. I have no preconceptions as to how long I might stay away for. I could decide to return in 6 months or it could be 6 years or never.

What I do know is that I would like to be able to work and earn a decent wage in a part time or full time job while I do this. I am willing to work hard. The camps were mentioned somewhere on boards. (I think this thread) where you work 14 days and take 7 off, or similar. I would be absolutely fine with that.

My work experience has been managerial roles in retail for about 5 or 6 years followed by managing an office being experienced and capable in all office accounts duties. Easily 10 + years of management.

I'm willing to work in a bar, a shop, an office, wash windows, pick fruit, clean houses, cook, wait tables, you name it. Once there is a reasonable wage relative to effort & cost of living. In an ideal world I would be able to save too.

So how does a 45 year old alone go about making this life change to Canada? Would you recommend a holiday to suss the place out? I wouldn't even know what region to start with. I imagine the idea of going to a rural town would hold some appeal for me. Where are the big bucks if I wanted to 'make a killing' for a few months to a year or so?

Absolutely at a loss where to start regardless of how much reading I've been doing over the past couple of nights on the topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hi has anyone used the P50 form to claim tax back?

I'm leaving in Oct. Can I only send the form After I finish working? Am I entiteld to all my PAYE and USC tax from Jan to Oct?

Any other tips advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi has anyone used the P50 form to claim tax back?

I'm leaving in Oct. Can I only send the form After I finish working? Am I entiteld to all my PAYE and USC tax from Jan to Oct?

Any other tips advice would be greatly appreciated

I called up from Canada last year and the girl calculated what I was due once i gave her my PPS number. I had my bank details already entered on ros.ie so the money automatically went in there took about ten days .
    Not sure of the breakdown of how much I got as the statement was sent to Ireland

Hi Guy, Maybe some one can help.

We are moving to Canada in september and flying shannon to toronto. and then on to saskatoon.

Now, we have seen alot of cheaper flights going through the USA.

Can we travel ffrom Canada through the US and on to Ireland and vice versa?

Do we require extra paper work?

My gf is polish and has her holiday visa for USA so she is fine, but I am Irish, and I am unsure of the requirements.

Thanks in advance for help.

• Advertisement

To fly into the states you need an ESTA:

costs $14 heres the link

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e2s1

Advertisement