Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Thanks Menace/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I looked into it a while back. Same as you with being electrician and I thought Skilled Worker was the way to go. It's permanent but when I was checking it out (Somewhere around May) it was already filled for this year. Seems like you have to get in there very early.

Loads of electrician jobs too when I was looking.
    anyone get an interview with pivot industry that was advertised on fas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Any advice for an over 35 (but under 40!) wanting to do some research on Canada? Is it pretty much impossible to even think about moving there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

seachto7 wrote: »
    Any advice for an over 35 (but under 40!) wanting to do some research on Canada? Is it pretty much impossible to even think about moving there?

Nothing is impossible!!
    Some background would be useful.
    What do you do, where do you want to live? what are your goals for Canada?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nuubee

Hi I've just started looking into the IEC visa and I've got a question about the whole thing and was hoping one of you could answer this. Once your application is accepted and you receive the letter of introduction I understand this gives you twelve months to enter Canada from that date.

And this is what it says in regards to the letter of introduction on the official website:

The Letter of Introduction is not your work permit – rather, it will identify you at the port of entry to Canada as being eligible to receive a work permit under IEC. As such, you must be sure to present the Letter of Introduction to a border service officer when arriving in Canada. Your Letter of Introduction will be valid for 12 months from its date of issue.

What I'm wondering is whether the work permit starts from when you enter Canada or from when you're issued the letter of introduction?

• Advertisement

Visa starts when you get your permit at point of entry
    So 1 year from when you get the visa document added to your passport

red menace wrote: »
    Nothing is impossible!!
    Some background would be useful.
    What do you do, where do you want to live? what are your goals for Canada?

Shane

I work in online marketing now (PPC, SEO) etc. I did work in technical writing for a few years, but it's so long ago it's probably redundant now. I speak English, French and Italian. I like my original music. I am hoping to go to Toronto for a holiday. There's a great music scene there, and Montreal too from what I know.
    The winters are putting me off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nuubee

So 1 year from when you get the visa document added to your <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">passport</a>

So just for clarification, point of entry means when I step foot in canada and get the visa stamped there correct?

nuubee wrote: »
    So 1 year from when you get the visa document added to your <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">passport</a>

So just for clarification, point of entry means when I step foot in canada and get the visa stamped there correct?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

seachto7 wrote: »
    The winters are putting me off though.

the winters are grand. you'll have adjusted in a few weeks

• Advertisement

This was an interesting question posted earlier "......what are your goals for Canada?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buffohic

I have job offer in edmonton which would mean traveling near end of Sept it's a temp foreign work permit 24 month contract can my wife end three kids come wit me ? Do they apply separate or can it be dealt wit at border crossing tanking u

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ohandels

Hi,

Just need a few questions answered. I was living in BC last year and got a job in a kitchen, they've since offered me a permanent job. I've got the IEC for 2012/2013 and plan on doing that through to 2014 and then hopefully get permanent residency.

1) What is the difference between the LMO and Skilled Workers Program, i know that the employer applies for the LMO and the person receiving the visa applies for the SWP

2) Once the company has applied for the LMO, whats the reasons the application would be rejected, and is there anything i can do in the meantime to help get it approved.

3) Is there any issue with applying for the LMO & SWP at the same time, or should i wait until i get a response off one of them? Which should i apply for first?

Thanks if anyone can help answer the above, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

I am a Canadian citizen. I moved to Ireland two years ago (June 2010) to be with my same sex partner, who is an Irish citizen. We are in a committed relationship and would like to continue our lives together in Canada.

We believe that we can be considered common law as we have a shared lease and bills in both our names. I am now concerned that my status as a Canadian resident will soon expire. My understanding of Canadian residency laws is that in order to still be considered a resident, you must have lived two of the last five years in Canada. I would like to sponsor my partner so that we could both return to Manitoba. Therefore, I am asking for advice with regards to any residency issues that I should be aware in order to sponsor my partner. Furthermore, I would be very grateful for any information you guys could provide with regard to the actual sponsorship process.

if you have a canadian passport you're a canadian citizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I am a Canadian citizen. I moved to Ireland two years ago (June 2010) to be with my same sex partner, who is an Irish citizen. We are in a committed relationship and would like to continue our lives together in Canada.

We believe that we can be considered common law as we have a shared lease and bills in both our names. I am now concerned that my status as a Canadian resident will soon expire. My understanding of Canadian residency laws is that in order to still be considered a resident, you must have lived two of the last five years in Canada. I would like to sponsor my partner so that we could both return to Manitoba. Therefore, I am asking for advice with regards to any residency issues that I should be aware in order to sponsor my partner. Furthermore, I would be very grateful for any information you guys could provide with regard to the actual sponsorship process.

The 2 out of 5 year rule only applies to permanent residents. If you have a Canadian passport your a Canadian citizen. We're you born there? You'll have no problem returning. The Canadian definition of common law is living together for a year in a relationship, having bills, lease, photos etc to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Tonto86 wrote: »
    The 2 out of 5 year rule only applies to permanent residents. If you have a Canadian passport your a Canadian citizen. We're you born there? You'll have no problem returning. The Canadian definition of common law is living together for a year in a relationship, having bills, lease, photos etc to back it up.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am a Canadian citizen with a passport. I was born there, but there was some confusion from some of our reading about being a permanent resident while living in Ireland and the eligibility to sponsor my partner. So, as a citizen, I could sponsor my partner while we are both living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tomgaa

hey guys,

quick question, my girlfriends brother wants to move to canada he's 22, no qualifications, other than a ticket for a mini digger. he started a carpentry apprentaship and packed that in, moved to oz, was home after 4 months. owes money on a bank loan as far as i no, and wouldnt have a whole pile of money to his name.

what are his chances of getting a visa??????? he seems to think that you can get a visa if your unskilled, coz he got 1 to oz, i dont think he can but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

tomgaa wrote: »
    hey guys,

quick question, my girlfriends brother wants to move to canada he's 22, no qualifications, other than a ticket for a mini digger. he started a carpentry apprentaship and packed that in, moved to oz, was home after 4 months. owes money on a bank loan as far as i no, and wouldnt have a whole pile of money to his name.

what are his chances of getting a visa??????? he seems to think that you can get a visa if your unskilled, coz he got 1 to oz, i dont think he can but i could be wrong.

Yep he can get the IEC visa which would give him a one year work permit

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Peckles

Hello there,

I have a question about the proof of funds. Obviously our proof of funds is going to be in a different currency - when you produce your bank statement do they do a currency conversion? I'm just a little worried as I'm moving to Canada on Sept 17th and I have put in what is the equivalent to 2500 CAD in my account in Euro, however, rates change daily, so by next monday, my balance might be short of the 2500 when converted. How strict are they? If you were a few dollars short would you get turned away? I literally have no more money to put in my account btw, so that isn't an option. Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Peckles wrote: »
    Hello there,

I have a question about the proof of funds. Obviously our proof of funds is going to be in a different currency - when you produce your bank statement do they do a currency conversion? I'm just a little worried as I'm moving to Canada on Sept 17th and I have put in what is the equivalent to 2500 CAD in my account in Euro, however, rates change daily, so by next monday, my balance might be short of the 2500 when converted. How strict are they? If you were a few dollars short would you get turned away? I literally have no more money to put in my account btw, so that isn't an option. Thanks! :)

I'd be pretty sure they'd allow a few dollars up or down because of currency. The point is proving you can support yourself over there if you don't find employment straight away. And also that you can afford a flight home if necessary. I think with having roughly 2000euro in your account you have fulfilled the requirement

unless you're really unlucky they won't ask for proof of funds anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Peckles

Helix wrote: »
    unless you're really unlucky they won't ask for proof of funds anyway

Really?? I knew some people weren't asked for it, but I thought it was that people are asked for more often than not? That's great news, although I know I could still be asked for it (knowing my luck, I probably will be, ha!). Also, can they ask to see a physical form of cash aswell as the bank statement or will they only ever ask you for a statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Hi All,

Myself and my wife are thinking of moving to Calgary or Red Deer, depending on what jobs are available. We are only at the initial stages of research.

Our main priorities are Jobs, Health Care, School system, House rental, potentially buying in the future if we were accepted on the nominee program and everything goes well and we were lucky to get permanent residency.

I have a BSc Honours Business degree from the London School of Economics and I am also slowly but surely getting through my CIMA exams while working full time. I currently work as an Implementation Consultant. I have 2 years experience in this field.
    While working here, I have been exposed to Bank Reconciliations, Accounts Receiveable, Accounts Payable, ERP Systems, i.e. BPCS, EASY, SAP, JD Edwards etc. Customer service and support are a big part of the job, also, going on site and implementing the product, testing, training the users and writing/updating user manuals on a regular basis. I have learned a fair bit about SQL since I started and I am starting to get familiar with all aspects of the AS/400. I am hopeful that my degree and my experience would be at an acceptable level for the skilled nominee program.
    Are there many jobs in this field or similar related areas of work, i.e. Customer Service, Administration. Would it be considered as a skilled profession, would it fall into the category of Business Management. I also have several years of Bar Management experience.

However, my main area of concern would be healthcare. I have done a little research and I think I may be correct in saying that as soon as I arrive, we can apply for the Alberta healthcare program, with proof of an address, etc. My question is possibly, quite unusual. My wife has Ankylosing Spondylitis and has to get an infusion of Remicade every 6 weeks. This medication is quite expensive but its free here as she is on the medical card. Would she be entitled to this for free in Canada while on a nominee visa or would we require extra private insurance on top of it.
    Would anyone have any idea about this, costs, if this is even possible. We couldn't consider this move any further if this wasn't possible.

Now, we would be moving with our son and we are thinking next year, which would make him 1.5 years then. I have checked previous threads about the education system in Calgary and Red Deer and it looks pretty good. I think we wouldn't have to worry about it for awhile yet but obviously need to consider it for the future if all goes well. Is there any Boards members with first hand experience of the school system over there, Good or Bad!

Sorry about the long post, any info from fellow boards members would be really appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dealdish

dont worry about it they never asked us anything about funds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Peckles wrote: »
    Hello there,

Dont worry about it, i was on a visa before to Canada and the officer at immigration did not even look for proof that i had funds in my account.
    Where you going by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Thanks for the info. Yes I am a Canadian citizen with a passport. I was born there, but there was some confusion from some of our reading about being a permanent resident while living in Ireland and the eligibility to sponsor my partner. So, as a citizen, I could sponsor my partner while we are both living in Ireland?
    You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. In your case you will be applying to sponsor your partner as a common-law-partner.

As a Canadian citizen you can definitely apply to sponsor your partner if you are not currently living in Canada. See this pdf instruction guide on Sponsor Residency Declaration:
    ''This section is to be completed only if you are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside of Canada and sponsoring a spouse, a common-law or conjugal partner, and/or dependent children who have no children of their own.

You must check the appropriate box to confirm where (Canadian province, territory or the province of Quebec) you intend to live should your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and (or) dependent children become permanent residents.''

The term permanent resident only applies to non-Canadian citizens (immigrants living in Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens). When you become a Canadian citizen, you are no longer a permanent resident. The bit about having to be a Canadian Citizen AND a permanent resident on one of the pages in on the cic.gc.ca website is a typo. It's badly worded, but what they mean is that in order for a Canadian citizen or a PR card holder to sponsor someone they (you) must be living in Canada or can prove that you intend to travel to Canada with your partner to live. See the pdf instruction guide on Sponsorship Eligibility
    ''In order to sponsor, you must…

-be 18 years of age or older,
    -be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
    -be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
    -live in Canada or provide evidence , if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live exclusively in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
    -sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
    - sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner’s basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
    ''

One word of advice: quadruple check a few times that you have both filled in & provided all the necessary correct documents ,that you are sending them to the correct address & afterwards check the cic website regularly for your application status and also application processing times & what to do in the event that your predicted waiting time has elapsed.

The only thing about applying when you are both still in Ireland is that you will more than likely have to prove that you as her sponsor are travelling back to Canada & have sufficient sponsorship funds, which could cause problems as regards having a job to walk straight back into when you arrive.

If you go back & get yourself settled in Canada the above will not become a potential issue, & you could then file an Outland Application (you back living in Canada & your partner still living in Ireland)
    The entire process could take approx 8 months. The PR visa is issued & your partner enters or flagpoles to activate visa. Your partner can visit or live with you during the process but can't work. The downside (apart from temporary seperation) is that she may have to fly to London for interview, which could prove costly considering she won't be working.

Alternatively, you could file an Inland Application (both of you in Canada - your partner on a holday/visitor visa).
    Application processed in Canada. Work permit can be applied for concurrently with sponsorship application, approx 6 months wait for work permit & anything up to 18 months for PR card. The downside is that it's adviseable not to leave Canada during process, so may be risky in case of family emergency in Ireland. If taking this option make sure she always has a current holiday/visitor visa. She can apply online to extend her stay.

The above are just things to bear in mind.

Best of luck for a happy future life together in Canada :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

tomgaa wrote: »
    hey guys,

Jaysus, ya not like the fella? Ya don't exactly talk him up and your rooting for him to fail

He'd be eligible for an IEC workin holiday visa. If he came to somewhere like Calgary he'd make good money with that mini digger ticket. Minimum $20 a hour starting off (over double minimum wage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

tony1980 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Myself and my wife are thinking of moving to Calgary or Red Deer, depending on what jobs are available. We are only at the initial stages of research.

Our main priorities are Jobs, Health Care, School system, House rental, potentially buying in the future if we were accepted on the nominee program and everything goes well and we were lucky to get permanent residency.

I have a BSc Honours Business degree from the London School of Economics and I am also slowly but surely getting through my CIMA exams while working full time. I currently work as an Implementation Consultant. I have 2 years experience in this field.
    While working here, I have been exposed to Bank Reconciliations, Accounts Receiveable, Accounts Payable, ERP Systems, i.e. BPCS, EASY, SAP, JD Edwards etc. Customer service and support are a big part of the job, also, going on site and implementing the product, testing, training the users and writing/updating user manuals on a regular basis. I have learned a fair bit about SQL since I started and I am starting to get familiar with all aspects of the AS/400. I am hopeful that my degree and my experience would be at an acceptable level for the skilled nominee program.
    Are there many jobs in this field or similar related areas of work, i.e. Customer Service, Administration. Would it be considered as a skilled profession, would it fall into the category of Business Management. I also have several years of Bar Management experience.

However, my main area of concern would be healthcare. I have done a little research and I think I may be correct in saying that as soon as I arrive, we can apply for the Alberta healthcare program, with proof of an address, etc. My question is possibly, quite unusual. My wife has Ankylosing Spondylitis and has to get an infusion of Remicade every 6 weeks. This medication is quite expensive but its free here as she is on the medical card. Would she be entitled to this for free in Canada while on a nominee visa or would we require extra private insurance on top of it.
    Would anyone have any idea about this, costs, if this is even possible. We couldn't consider this move any further if this wasn't possible.

Now, we would be moving with our son and we are thinking next year, which would make him 1.5 years then. I have checked previous threads about the education system in Calgary and Red Deer and it looks pretty good. I think we wouldn't have to worry about it for awhile yet but obviously need to consider it for the future if all goes well. Is there any Boards members with first hand experience of the school system over there, Good or Bad!

Sorry about the long post, any info from fellow boards members would be really appreciated. :)

Yep you can apply for Alberta health as soon as you arrive we got our SIns sorted first and then registered for healthcare - easy

Your Alberta health card would give you free doctor's visits but does not cover drugs at all so you would need private health insurance as well.

Most companies offer medical as part of the packages in general kicking in after 3 months but there are some companies that sell their products to private individuals - http://www.bluecross.ca/ is one that I have heard about but I am sure that there are others.

Hope this helps a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

Tony1980 as part of the PR process everyone has to get a medical and if you have an existing condition it can be declined as they look at how much you will cost the healthcare system if they allowed you in.

I dont know about that condition but if you have MS, or autism, aspergers even diabetes they can decline people for that. Anything that is a long term constant care needed illness.

I would try to get more information about the medical and conditions they are allowing in and not.

Advertisement