Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help teaching baby to roll onto her back

Options
  • 06-03-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

My daughter is almost ten months and up until the last couple of nights she had been going down around 7 pm for the night and waking once if at all. However, the last few nights she's been rolling onto her stomach and can't figure out how to get back on to her back. So she wakes crying and I go in and put her back onto her back. This happened 12 times last night :eek:

I did a search on a couple of sites and a poster in the US solved the problem by rolling up two towels and placing them at each side of the mattress and covering them with the sheet and this stopped baby from rolling. I'll try this tonight but I know that the problem won't be completely resolved until she's able to roll back over on her own.

She's quite big for her age and weighs 24lb so that might be restricting her a little bit. She's been rolling onto her front for a couple of months now but hasn't been making much of an effort to roll the other way. She's a really placid child so up until now I was happy to leave her figure it out in her own time but now that it's upsetting her sleep (and mine!!), I'd like to help her learn.

So any tips would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

Would recommend plenty of tummy time!

Our little one is 6months and we let her spend quite a bit of her day when she's up on her tummy. She didn't like it initially but with perseverance she's come to not mind it so much. On occasions when we've left the room and she's been particularly lazy we come back to a baby on her back playing on her mat-gym.

Hope that once she does learn to turnover at will during the day she'll be able to do the same when it becomes a problem at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

Hey Egan,
    We went through this for a few weeks and it just stopped as suddenly as it had started. I do agree with loads of tummy time- a big duvet on the living room floor and let her do her acrobatics. A few toys scattered on there to keep her occupied. A kickabout in her cot is good as well- let her practice her rolling in the confines of her cot.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

This isn't going to help her learn but try using a baby sleeping bag and tucking the bottom in at the bottom of the mattress. It might stop her rolling over at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Thanks for replies. Had a day off work yesterday so spent a good bit of time on the floor with her helping her roll onto her back. She wasn't too impressed with this but she'll get used to it!!

I realise I should have been doing this earlier than now but better late than never I suppose. When I had my other daughter almost ten years ago I don't think there was as much emphasis on tummy time as there is now so if I'm honest I didn't give it much thought and time this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

When are you meant to start with tummy time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My public health nurse said from around 12 weeks but at that stage it's only minutes at a time. My son hated it but it does help them exercise their neck muscles. As they get older it's more important (apparently!) although I wasn't probably very good at encouraging it. We had a lively fisher price play mat and my son would've spent lots of time on it but he always hated being on his tummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yeah I found tummy time isn't that popular, hut if you put a mirror in front of them (there's usually some sort of mirror on one of the toys) and they'll happily look at the baby looking back at them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We were told to do it from birth, but R hated it!
    Mirrors definitely helped make it a bit more fun, and getting down on the floor in front of him.
    At around 10 weeks we started a bit more in earnest, and he'd tolerate it a bit better, depending how tired he was.
    By 20 weeks we could leave him down for a good while, and he started figuring out the rolling from front to back.
    We got a good leaflet from the health centre physio about tummy time. Even lying him on your tummy, holding him up in the air like he's flying etc, all have the same effect cos the hold their head up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

liliq wrote: »
    We got a good leaflet from the health centre physio about tummy time.

Think I may have gotten some physio info leaving the hospital but it probably ended up in the recycling bag :o

Advertisement