Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car broken into in Company Car Park - Is company liable?

• 06-03-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Quickly.
    I parked my car in my work car park. There is a sign up stating that it is a Private Car Park.
    There is no sign up stating "Cars are parked at owners risk, and that the company has no liabilty" or anything to that effect.

Well my car was broken into - back window smashed and personal stuff taken.
    My car insurance won't cover the loss of items as they were left on the back seat.
    Do I have a case to seek compensation from my employer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well my car was broken into - back window smashed and personal stuff taken.
    My car insurance won't cover the loss of items as they were left on the back seat.
    Do I have a case to seek compensation from my employer?

No. Not unless there was a failure by the company to secure the car park. If it was open so people can walk/drive in, then the company wouldn't be liable.

About the same as if you parked in a shopping centre car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Well the area is covered by super duper high tech security cameras that were pointing in all the wrong directions at the time, and were not able to read the reg of the robbers car as he drove in and out of the main entrance to the company site. Also the security cameras for whatever reason failed to cover half the car park.

Shopping centres have signs stating they are not responsible for such incidences?
    My work car park does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Signs make no difference.

Reading the reg of the robbers or seeing who they were would not put liability on the company, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Even if you did manage to attribute liability you are at least partially liable/contributory negligent in leaving personal items on display in your vehicle. How many other vehicles where parked there and broken into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its not your companies responsibility to secure your car. That is your responsibility.

If the theft was caused by your employers negligence then you may have a case. But seeing as they have CCTV in the car park shows that they are going above and beyond what little duty they owe you in protecting your car. Even if it only covered a tiny part of the car park. Whatever minute liability your employer MAY have will be vitiated by your contributory negligence of leaving your belongings in plain view.

To sum it up. You have nobody to blame but yourself unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

In fairness, leaving the items on your back seat regardless of where you are parking, is tempting fate in the extreme.

Advertisement