Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banogue Speed Limit

• 06-03-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭

ANyone know if they changed the limit range here? I came hammering out of there on way to Cork and had a camera van pointing at me from down the straight bit after the village, can't remember where the actual limit ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

TheDriver wrote: »
    ANyone know if they changed the limit range here? I came hammering out of there on way to Cork and had a camera van pointing at me from down the straight bit after the village, can't remember where the actual limit ends

I think it ends just after the picnic? area on the left. I've seen the van there before but it was a long way from the limit signs. I believe the cameras have a long range though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Will be passing through later on, I'll have a look. From what I can remember the 100kph signs are just after the filling station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

h3000 wrote: »
    I think it ends just after the picnic? area on the left. I've seen the van there before but it was a long way from the limit signs. I believe the cameras have a long range though.

Pretty sure that you are right in that the 100kmph sign is after the picnic area as you head towards the next bend on the Cork side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Cheers lads, I was doing 50 through the village and then put the boot down after the picnic area and through the bend but can't remember if the speed limit sign was there or not, and the van was down the road once you get to the straight bit, I hope he was looking for people over 100! Hopefully I dodged the bullet!
    Thanks lads and look forward to JerryHandbags feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Cheers lads, I was doing 50 through the village and then put the boot down after the picnic area and through the bend but can't remember if the speed limit sign was there or not, and the van was down the road once you get to the straight bit, I hope he was looking for people over 100! Hopefully I dodged the bullet!

Not an area to be putting the boot down in in fairness, both from a safety point of view, and there are often speed vans there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I always dread driving this patch of road with its history.

Know of a few families who have lost loved ones on this stretch in the last few years.

I wish the M20 had been more of a priority during the tiger years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

The 100km/h sign used to be just after the petrol station but when the camera vans started they moved the limit out past the picnic area and covered the old sign with black bags. Must make it easier to catch people as they speed up when leaving the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

db wrote: »
    The 100km/h sign used to be just after the petrol station but when the camera vans started they moved the limit out past the picnic area and covered the old sign with black bags. Must make it easier to catch people as they speed up when leaving the village.

Where is the limit now?
    When I mean putting the boot down, I mean begin to speed up from 50kph but I appreciate accidents happen from people flaking it through there.
    Does the camera down the straight road look for people breaking 50 or 100 kph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thats exactly why the van is placed where it is...to catch people speeding up before they hit the 100 sign. Theres a stretch of maybe 150-200 yards where the camera can see you as you come round the corner and the 100kph sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Just wondering if the camera van in Banogue, Limerick caught you when you were increasing speed coming out from the village?Got a bad trip tonight speeding around 55kph around Banogue area and
    camera van was there. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Just wondering if the camera van in Banogue, Limerick caught you when you were increasing speed coming out from the village?Got a bad trip tonight speeding around 55kph around Banogue area and
    camera van was there. Thanks in advance

Also interested to know if this van is looking for people picking speed before leaving the limits, or checking the 100KM/h after limits. I travel this road every day so would be handy to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Also interested to know if this van is looking for people picking speed before leaving the limits, or checking the 100KM/h after limits. I travel this road every day so would be handy to know.

No being smart but why not reduce your speed as you approach the village and drive through it below the limit. It's only a few hundred meters at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

phog wrote: »
    No being smart but why not reduce your speed as you approach the village and drive through it below the limit. It's only a few hundred meters at most.

I never said I wasn't reducing my speed, always drive through under the limit, was just curious as to zone being monitored, as most people tend to climb speed leaving limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 redhead33

dangerous spot know few people that lost there lives there ,not a place to be hammering anything ,maybr if you do get the fine and points u wont hammer through there next time ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I never said I wasn't reducing my speed, always drive through under the limit, was just curious as to zone being monitored, as most people tend to climb speed leaving limits.

Even then is it worth the possibility of picking up fines/points based on what an anonymous poster will tell you which way the camera vans are checking for speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Well, one thing is for sure, I haven't got
    any speeding ticket yet. It's been 4 weeks. All I know it will only take them
    5 days max for you to receive the ticket.
    Just a word of warning the van is sometimes cloaking near an old empty house targeting drivers heading to Cork direction.
    I have also found camera van monitoring
    traffic just passed the Hospital junction.
    There's no harm if will follow the speed limit. Safe driving to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

This map could be out of date. 100kph speed limit starts before and all the picnic area.
    http://goo.gl/maps/iMXzx

Known Limerick county council, they do tend to move them farther out.
    Keep those eyes open and aware.

Thats well out of date. If you use that map and move along the road you come to a de Courcy for sale sign after the picnic area and thats roughly where the speed limit signs are placed now and the van parks itself another couple of hundred yards down the road so it has a view of around 100m at the end of the speed limit stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There is already a 60k limit at Rourke Cross but it doesnt extend very far on either side of the cross. It is a very dangerous junction and I have seen numerous incidents there over the years, much more than at Banogue, so it should definitely be extended on either side. Even 100 yards on either side would help as at the tmoment cars are jamming on the brakes when they are basically at the junction and then others bomb straight through without slowing at all.

Less than a mile after Rourkes Cross is Rockhill Cross which has seen plenty of incidents and deaths over the years and still has no reduced speed limit which is a bit ridiculous. Maybe they will extend the limit from Rourke cross down to there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The whole road from Croom to Charleville is a death trap

Have in laws living in the locality and there isnt a year goes by where someone isnt killed or seriously injured on that stretch of road

Now that the motorway has been shelved it looks like it will continue for years to come

Truth be told the whole stretch should be 80Kms max and 60/50 at the main cross roads mentioned above

Disgraceful for the main road between the countries 2nd and 3rd cities especially when you think of some of the road projects that got the go ahead during the boom due to parish pump politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

redhead33 wrote: »
    dangerous spot know few people that lost there lives there ,not a place to be hammering anything ,maybr if you do get the fine and points u wont hammer through there next time ...

The OP (who was "hammering through Banogue") posted this over a year ago. I'd say if he was going to get any points they have been well issued by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Having overly-long speed limit regions defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. When the speed limit regions stop making sense, people have a lower compliancy rate. It encourages drivers to start slowing down at the limit signs instead of having the speed reduced before passing the signs.
    Compare our rural speed limits to e.g. England. In the UK, the edge of the village is where the zone is. Similar place here, there's maybe an extra kilometre of a speed limit outside of all habitation or footpath and no obvious reason why there needs to be a limit.
    I would think that a lot of the slower speed limits in our country would be a lot more effective if they were actually protecting the place that they were instigated for, instead of the place itself and 3 km extra of perfectly normal road.

Correctly designed and sanely enforced limits would go a long way towards people obeying the speed limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you are going to get two penalty points and eighty quid fine. that van has been there before and know people who have been burned there. speed limit is 50 kph iirc

Advertisement