Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you chose accountant

• 06-03-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Was wondering do many people move accountant and if/when you do what do you consider when moving. How easy/difficult is it to move. I remember my father years ago moved accountant and it was very difficult to get all his paperwork from previous.
    And how do you rate ifac as against smaller local guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hi st1979,

As an accountant who tries to persuade farmers to move to my company to provide accounts, tax and other services i find that younger farmers are more willing to move. a list of reasons they move

Fee price
    accountants not offering a good service
    accountant office hours been fixed to 9-530pm office hours

So when i started up 5 years ago i tried to change it, and it does take time and im no way perfect. Im like everyone things happen, deaths sickness, accidents etc.

How easy is it to change. 1 form to be signed and a quick letter to the old accountant/agent.

st1979 wrote: »
    Was wondering do many people move accountant and if/when you do what do you consider when moving. How easy/difficult is it to move. I remember my father years ago moved accountant and it was very difficult to get all his paperwork from previous.
    And how do you rate ifac as against smaller local guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

who can provide me whit the smallest tax bill give my profit (sorry loss) figure. so whoever is best at tax avoidance. I was always told to have 2 accountants do the same years figures to see the difference a good accountant can make.

If its a farm loss ;) you get to offset it against your other income for 4years in a row.

2 sets of accounts? how do you decide who to go with? do you pay both of them at approx €40 plus vat an hour :eek:

who can provide me whit the smallest tax bill give my profit (sorry loss) figure. so whoever is best at tax avoidance. I was always told to have 2 accountants do the same years figures to see the difference a good accountant can make.

In all honesty most farmers accounts can be done in 10-14 hours (2 days) thats tax, correspondence etc. The fee should be max €500 all in even including an easi pay plan :rolleyes:.

The contractor will set you back €35-45 an hour or for 2 days € 490/€630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

i put all my invoices onto a pdf and i also do a quick summary of final year accounts for accountant to base his on. with the majority of the work done in this case, how much should i expect to pay lakill? my accountant said in many cases all paperwork arrives in a mail bag and he has to sort through it

• Advertisement

Razor, its hard to say and depends on the following,

How accurate your information is. (nothing worse having to double check every line item and then edit it)
    Have you the bank rec and all cheque payments, DD payments and sales classified
    How many line items you have.
    How much work is required on your tax side

Rought €250-350 plus vat

razor8 wrote: »
    i put all my invoices onto a pdf and i also do a quick summary of final year accounts for accountant to base his on. with the majority of the work done in this case, how much should i expect to pay lakill? my accountant said in many cases all paperwork arrives in a mail bag and he has to sort through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

razor8 wrote: »
    Hi Razor8,

For the last accounts I did, so 2010

I sent
    - excel sheet detailing all income + expenses + stock valuations
    - scans of income (Dept payments + mart)
    - P60
    - scan of bank statements

From what I recall the cost was around 470 + VAT, so 570euro.

Was all done over email, so it suited me.

If you as a farmer were offered a no T & C discount of 50% on your accountancy fee and told the fee would stay at the discounted rate for 3 years would you move accountants?

and same case but in year 4 it would increase 15% . (Ie) back to 65% of the orginl fee? and that it would stay there indefinitely once farm size stayed fairly similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

If you as a farmer were offered a no T & C discount of 50% on your accountancy fee and told the fee would stay at the discounted rate for 3 years would you move accountants?

and same case but in year 4 it would increase 15% . (Ie) back to 65% of the orginl fee? and that it would stay there indefinitely once farm size stayed fairly similar

It that Q for me Lakill, or just in general?

If I could validate the accountant, make sure they are trustworthy & good then I don't see why I wouldn't take it.
    But, for me anyways - I would have to get some good recommendations, from people I know, before I would change...

Not at all but appreciate your feedback.. Time to get some marketing going

It that Q for me Lakill, or just in general?

If I could validate the accountant, make sure they are trustworthy & good then I don't see why I wouldn't take it.
    But, for me anyways - I would have to get some good recommendations, from people I know, before I would change...

• Advertisement
Advertisement