Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Veterinary UCD

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

I'll try make this short, but I am a little worried.

I'm 19, doing my Leaving Certificate and I was looking at the points needed to get in the Undergraduate Veterinary UCD course which is on average 550, give or take ten points as I'm aware this fluctuates each year, which is fine. I'd definitely like to pursue this.

Now, my concern is that I am receiving Back To Education Allowance to attend college at the moment. So, is there any (government funded) way I could go about getting into this course as I couldn't afford it on BTEA. I have no family to turn to for college fees which is what I'm sure most students would do, but I don't know.. that's why I'm here :)

So, I was wondering is there any grant scheme or way around this for less fortunate people, who don't have the funds or family to get the funds from, to get into these types of courses at UCD.

I don't wanna work my ass off to get the points and then have nothing to do with them! I also don't want to have to attend a small course like PLC or FETAC, which I know do small courses like pre-nursing, as I feel I can do better than this.

I know people who have been stuck doing small courses in schools like these each year for years, because they're covered financially and don't bother trying for a proper college course to get a degree. This scares the hell out of me thinking that I could be in that situation also!

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

Hello,

I'm 19, doing my Leaving Certificate and I was looking at the points needed to get in the Undergraduate Veterinary UCD course which is on average 550, give or take ten points as I'm aware this fluctuates each year, which is fine. I'd definitely like to pursue this.

Now, my concern is that I am receiving Back To Education Allowance to attend college at the moment. So, is there any (government funded) way I could go about getting into this course as I couldn't afford it on BTEA. I have no family to turn to for college fees which is what I'm sure most students would do, but I don't know.. that's why I'm here :)

Go to the UK. Northern Ireland is a good bet. Cheaper and easier to get into. They will take a Leaving Cert. They will even pay your grant if you remain in Northern Ireland for study. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sarahjane123

GombeanMan wrote: »
    Hello,

Go to the UK. Northern Ireland is a good bet. Cheaper and easier to get into. They will take a Leaving Cert. They will even pay your grant if you remain in Northern Ireland for study. Good luck.

Wow, good thinking... never though of that. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Grindsteacher

Theres nowhere to study veterianry medicine in northern Ireland. If you apply through the leaving cert, your fees will be €2500 per year (as of now) so not insurmountable. The alternative is going to the UK or weastern europe, both of which are significantly more expensive, especially if you factor in living away/travel etc.

Advertisement