Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Networking Ext HD

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Basically I want to be able to play my music (stored on an external HD) through the TV & speakers, using Apple TV to navigate through my itunes content. But I want to be able to do this without connecting my laptop to the ext HD (I have a couple of hundred GBs of music which I don't want clogging up my laptop).

I guess I can either wirelessly network the ext HD, or can I run it through a PS3? Or connect some other way to the apple tv?

The easiest solution seems to be something like an apple airport extreme. I know its probably a bit pricey for what it does and has some limited functionality, but I am just looking for a relatively easy plug and play solution.

Anyone recommend any alternatives? 160euro seems like a lot for this convenience......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

How will an external hard drive connected to the laptop clog it?

Yes if the hard has to be connected to a PC/laptop to function it means the laptop has to be on for the TV to see the hard drive.

Would a NAS drive not be cheaper than an airport express?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I don't want to have to physically connect the laptop to the ext HD to access my itunes library. I guess a NAS drive would work, not sure how it would integrate with apple tv though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

How about iTunes match? I use it and it's great. So there.

Advertisement