Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint injection, does it hurt ?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:11pm

Hi , Im scheduled to have a joint injection soon, in the hip area. Just wondering have any of you here experienced it. I have read that it hurts, have any of you found this? Do you know does it take long to do

Im quite nervous about this procedure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I haven't had my hips done but I've had both shoulders injected with cortisone and barely felt a thing. It is nerve-wrecking but no worse than a blood test in terms of discomfort.
    Don't worry, it'll be over in a minute and the relief will be worth it!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I had a double facet joint injection done and i won't lie it's uncomfortable. It's not necessarily painful, but a lot of pressure is applied to the area as the fluid is injected in, and there was a slight burning senssation. Doctor monitored me throughout and could see i wasn't happy with what was going on and offered to stop, but i guess it was 20 minutes of discomfort so not so bad in the scheme of things. I was talked through the whole procedure. Admittedly i got a fair bit of relief from the procedure....

Also have regular cortisone injections into the shoulder and they are grand, administered by my local GP. Just like a regular jab.

Thanks a million to both of you for taking the time :)

I wont like, I have been having visions of hearing my hip bone crunch when the needle goes in :eek:

Im assuming because its on my hip they'll give me an anesthetic..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sobaga

I am getting intraarticular injections in my knee on a regular basis. I know it is not a hip, but the injection does not hurt, you get an anaesthetic on your skin just not to feel the needle going in. Nothing cracks when the needle goes into the joint, as the orthopaedist (I presume it is orthopaedic surgeon who gives you that, I would not let anybody else near my knee, to be honest) chooses a position in which the joint is stretched (so there is a gap between the bones).

sobaga wrote: »
    I am getting intraarticular injections in my knee on a regular basis. I know it is not a hip, but the injection does not hurt, you get an anaesthetic on your skin just not to feel the needle going in. Nothing cracks when the needle goes into the joint, as the orthopaedist (I presume it is orthopaedic surgeon who gives you that, I would not let anybody else near my knee, to be honest) chooses a position in which the joint is stretched (so there is a gap between the bones).

Thanks for your reply. Thats good to know, because i will also be getting them done on my knees :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement