Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you tell me what this tool bit is called and what its used for!???

• 06-03-2012 12:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this but no idea what it is nor what its for!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a bit for one of the many types of security screw heads. In this case it's one with two small notches, one each side of the head.

EDIT: or sometimes flat headed screw heads with two holes in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thanks! Would you think that they are hard to come by - as in purchase in hardware stores?

I need to get one and someone sent me a picture of the one I need but didnt know exactly what its called - as in you have phillips, flathead, torc, star, types but this one is not something ive seen in the stores before and dont know its name.

I've not seen them for sale individually, they usually come as part of a set of dozens of different types and sizes. You can find them in any DIY store or hardware shop usually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ok cheers, will keep an eye out for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

get a normal screwdriver bit and cut a notch out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

As Alun said I havent seen them for sale individually, might be worth asking in a motor factors a lot of them sell brand tools Teng, britool etc who sell individual replacements. but they will probably be special order and expensive, it might be quicker and easier to buy a kit of them, aldi had a full set of 100pcs a while ago for around €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

PaudyW wrote: »
    get a normal screwdriver bit and cut a notch out of it

+1

Cut a notch out of an old flat balded screw driver and it will work fine.

The likes of maplin will sell these bits, can't remember where exactly I got my set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Fairly sure I've seen those types of screws in electrical installations, exterior light fittings etc. Should be able to pick them up in elec wholesalers, Wesco or the like.

( I have some of these bits in a set from Aldi, but chances they're in stock currently are slim.)

As others have said, you could get away with cutting / filing a notch out of a flat bit, but for the price these sets go for, I'd get one anyway as they're a handy thing to have around the place.

I've used 3 different bits (which you definitely couldn't bodge out of an existing one if you tried!) since buying my set which I couldn't have foreseen, but then I do have a penchant for taking all kinds of things apart either to (try and) repair them, or just out of curiosity, so maybe I'm the exception :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They're called spanner bits (obvious when you think about it) and you can get them in Draper security bits sets. See Pgs 240/241 of their catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, if a screwdriver tip is soft enough to cut a notch out of, then the remaining 2 bits on the outside will probably be too weak to loosen or tighten anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Snake eyes is the original trademarked name for the two round hole type of screw, but I guess the rectangular notches are a way around the patent.
    The bits are spanner bits as above.
    I bought a set of security bits in a soft vinyl holder for less than 10 euro, triwing, snake eyes, torx security etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00391/33-piece-security-bit-set/dp/TL11203?Ntt=tl11203

I have this set, have it a few years now comes in handy every now and then.

only £3.5 ex vat and delivery, once you start ordering from here it gets difficult to stop, it's on page 2011 of the catalogue (also online) if you want to look at similar products

Advertisement