Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front of house advice (narrow strip)

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me some advice regarding the narrow strip of grass at the front of my house. To be honest, it's more of an annoyance to have as its awkward to get the mower/strimmer out to it during the summer. Would really love to do something to it that looks well, but would be low maintenance. I've attached a picture - would love to get some advice on what I could do with it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Tissot wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me some advice regarding the narrow strip of grass at the front of my house. To be honest, it's more of an annoyance to have as its awkward to get the mower/strimmer out to it during the summer. Would really love to do something to it that looks well, but would be low maintenance. I've attached a picture - would love to get some advice on what I could do with it!

what about?

Probably have to use weedkiller and/or that cover that stops weeds* first to stop grass coming through

*cannot think of term

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tissot

Hmmm - not a bad idea at all. All I would be afraid of here is we sometimes get kids passing by late in the evening, and they like to get up to devilment. I'd fear for the cars parked beside the stones if they decided to start throwing them around.

Hmmm - not a bad idea at all. All I would be afraid of here is we sometimes get kids passing by late in the evening, and they like to get up to devilment. I'd fear for the cars parked beside the stones if they decided to start throwing them around.

http://www.naturalstoneyard.ie/Vintage_Indian_Sandstone_Circle.html would not be loose. no connection to supplier random google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Or....build a raised bed from sleepers or wood from the hardware store etc, fill with compost/soil and throw a few flower bulbs or plug plants in there...
    then in winter add daffs and tulip bulbs for next spring's colours...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Here is a picture taken from my garden last year:

album.php?albumid=1792&pictureid=12139

It is about twice the width of yours.
    I have iris, lupins, hostas, alpines, primroses.
    You could really make that strip beautiful.
    Find plants which don't grow too big.
    If it gets a lot of shade at the side of the house, go for hostas or large leafed plants which don't mind shade.
    For the sunnier bit you can go for flowers. My purple iris in the front of the pic were planted six years ago and are beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or....build a raised bed from sleepers or wood
    i'd be a bit wary about holding dampness against the side of the house; even if it was lined, it'd still get a bit of water in which would have trouble evaporating.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Here is a picture taken from my garden last year:

album.php?albumid=1792&pictureid=12139

It is about twice the width of yours.
    I have iris, lupins, hostas, alpines, primroses.
    You could really make that strip beautiful.
    Find plants which don't grow too big.
    If it gets a lot of shade at the side of the house, go for hostas or large leafed plants which don't mind shade.
    For the sunnier bit you can go for flowers. My purple iris in the front of the pic were planted six years ago and are beautiful.

That looks fantastic. I'd love to do the bark mulch thing too - anywhere you could direct me on how to find out how to do it properly - am completely clueless!!

i'd be a bit wary about holding dampness against the side of the house; even if it was lined, it'd still get a bit of water in which would have trouble evaporating.

Just to clarify - the wall you're seeing is actually the wall between me and my neighbour - its not a house wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just to clarify - the wall you're seeing is actually the wall between me and my neighbour - its not a house wall.

Yea I knew that..used to have a similar strip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - that looks like a tough spot for many plants. Choose carefully, ideally one which is evergreen, not invasive, will not require too much attention and is ideally colourful and flowers? Other desirable factors might include, not brittle but could cope with wayward footballs etc, will not scratch (pedestrians or car doors) etc

One type considering is Libertia, eg Libertia Goldfinger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a very gloomy spot that is just a dark patch between a north facing wall and various bits of building. I have ferns, bluebells, wild strawberries, violets, berginia and hellebores in it, and a honeysuckle. It looks after itself, doesn't even need weed membrane and I like it. It has mossy bits and a little wild geranium that is actually a weed but looks nice in that environment - I pull handfulls of that out occasionally, but no other weeds seem to bother.

That combination would not be any use for most of the OP's strip, but if part of it is in serious shade it is a possible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

OP - that looks like a tough spot for many plants. Choose carefully, ideally one which is evergreen, not invasive, will not require too much attention and is ideally colourful and flowers? Other desirable factors might include, not brittle but could cope with wayward footballs etc, will not scratch (pedestrians or car doors) etc

One type considering is Libertia, eg Libertia Goldfinger.

Yeah nice one . i had a patch like this I put in a yellowy green evergreen x 4 evenly spaced. They shot up nicely and then the wall at the back i planted some ivy worked a treat :D

Yeah nice one . i had a patch like this I put in a yellowy green evergreen x 4 evenly spaced. They shot up nicely and then the wall at the back i planted some ivy worked a treat :D
    was it cupressa? which one is the fastest to grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

was it cupressa? which one is the fastest to grow?

Bang on never knew the name of them, i just googled them yeah picked them up in tesco for about 3 quid each ! they have a nice tall pointy look too. they dont seem to spread out width wise so far anyway

Advertisement